Can I board a closed loop cruise with ONLY a passport

neminem

23 hours ago, neminem said:

Oh well - I'll figure something out (that something might be suck it up and take crummy public transit to work for a week, and learn my lesson about always paying super close attention to my id. And be super jealous of cities that have decent public transit. Living in SoCal is awesome for a ton of reasons, but that is one not so great thing.)

You aren’t required to carry a physical license to drive. You can run into issues driving out if state without your physical license because the state to state queries are limited; but within your home state your drivers license information can be easily looked up. You are only required to have a valid license issues by the state to driver; having physical proof of that via carrying a license doesn’t change that.

6 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

You aren’t required to carry a physical license to drive. You can run into issues driving out if state without your physical license because the state to state queries are limited; but within your home state your drivers license information can be easily looked up. You are only required to have a valid license issues by the state to driver; having physical proof of that via carrying a license doesn’t change that.

I'm sure like many other laws this varies from state to state. Here in Vermont you would be cited for not having your license in your possession while driving (which is what the law requires).

Edited by sparks1093

26 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I'm sure like many other laws this varies from state to state. Here in Vermont you would be cited for not having your license in your possession while driving (which is what the law requires).

I doubt you would be cited in Vermont for that, since the only law I seee that’s applicable says that the charge would be dismissed if you can show your license within a week. It may be a law but enforcement of laws written this way is pointless so I doubt many officers would cite for it.

78136D4B-B46C-429C-9EE3-A6BF5E324CEB.png

6 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I doubt you would be cited in Vermont for that, since the only law I seee that’s applicable says that the charge would be dismissed if you can show your license within a week. It may be a law but enforcement of laws written this way is pointless so I doubt many officers would cite for it.

78136D4B-B46C-429C-9EE3-A6BF5E324CEB.png

They would write the citation and wait for the person to show up within 7 days.  In any event the law does require me to carry my license, whether or not I actually face a penalty for not doing so.