Dog Sledding

DCLCrazy

Hi Everyone.  Happy Thanksgiving to all the Americans on the board.   I have a question for those who have been on Princess in Alaska.  There are two different excursions that are about the same and I wanted to get your opinion on which one was better.  The first one is Skagway dog sledding & glacier flightseeing (SGY-840) and the other is Juneau dog sledding on the Mendenhall glacier. (JUN-845).  Are either of these a better glacier experience?  We have a couple of people in their late 60s/early 70s going, so that might be a factor, as well.  Is there a better time of the day to do it?  Thanks for all of your feedback!

Can't answer your questions ..... dog sledding doesn;t interest me.  Just wanted to say that you will probably find better pricing if you book independently.  There are only 3 or 4 vendors in Juneau ... you'll find them in the town visitor guide. I recall ERA, Temsco, Coastal, and there's one more. For Skagway go to the town web site , www.skagway.com.   

Also, when are you going?  Around mid August the tours start getting cancelled due to lack of snow at the base camp. 

We did dog sledding on glacier in Juneau with Coastal (booked through Juneau Tours).  We did not go to Mendenhal, but Herbert.  We opted for this tour as we were stopping at Juneau before Skagway, and because these tours get frequently cancelled due to bad weather, we figured that if we go cancelled in Juneau, we could try to rebook in Skagway.  But, we got to go, do did White Pass train in Skagway.  Worked out perfectly as we loved both tours!  

Enjoy Alaska - it was amazing!  

The Vendor you are looking at is TEMSCO.    IF this is a priority,  then book at your first available port.   I'm a firm advocate in scheduling your ENTIRE port plans   so that they allow maximum time advantages.    Figure out all your port plans then put the puzzle together.    

Again if a priority for the glacier dog sledding book the early tour.   You-  have the direct contact phone number- if canceled,  you call and try to reschedule asap.    This is the most canceled shore excursion.