10 Day Panama Canal on Zuiderdam

smokesmom

Seeing the Panama Canal has long been on my bucket list. We were able to experience it from Nov 4 - 14 on the Zuiderdam. It was a great trip even if the azipod had problems at the end. I journaled the trip at https://mmmtravelmemories.com/ with some pictures.

If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer. 

Glad you have crossed a bucket list item off!   Enjoyed reading your blog and seeing the photos.  We love the ABC Islands so your photos make me excited to return in January and again in February.  

Sounds like you you had a nice relaxing trip.  Thanks for sharing.  

DH and I did the 10-day Panama Canal cruise on the Zuiderdam two years ago and loved it. Listening to the woman narrating the trip through the canal was so interesting. We had a Neptune Suite and sat on our veranda the whole time enjoying the sights and listening to her commentary. The Panama Canal cruise was on our bucket list, too, and am so glad we did it.

Question for those of you who have done this cruise . . . is  the all-day excursion THE CANAL EXPERIENCE FROM GATUN TO COLON worth doing, or will sitting on our neptune suite balcony (the comfort of home?lol) be just as informative?

Edited by Walfam

13 hours ago, Walfam said:

Question for those of you who have done this cruise . . . is  the all-day excursion THE CANAL EXPERIENCE FROM GATUN TO COLON worth doing, or will sitting on our neptune suite balcony (the comfort of home?lol) be just as informative?

I talked to a couple of people who did the tour. One thought it was great and very informative. The other person said it was long and at times boring.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 5:18 PM, Walfam said:

DH and I did this excursion in March of this year. We thought it was worth doing, because we felt like we really saw what we came to see. Yes, it was long, and there was a lot of waiting. And we just barely got back to the ship in time for dinner. But we learned a lot about the history of the canal, and that's what we wanted to do. 

7 hours ago, GE Mom said:

We thought it was worth doing, because we felt like we really saw what we came to see. Yes, it was long, and there was a lot of waiting. And we just barely got back to the ship in time for dinner. But we learned a lot about the history of the canal, and that's what we wanted to do. 

Thank you, GE Mom, for the heads up about the waiting, time, and your opinion.  We do hot and humid for free all summer, where we live.  The canal itself is the main attraction for us.  We have booked the excursion and are looking forward to it.

Edited by Walfam