problem logging in

13 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Doesn’t take 12 hours to get logged out, sometimes the very next post after logging in, and getting told your password is wrong, and having to reset it, is fast getting old

Yep! It’s three or four times a session, sometimes. 

On the other hand,  I can go overnight without being kicked out. 

30 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Yep! It’s three or four times a session, sometimes. 

On the other hand,  I can go overnight without being kicked out. 

Yep, pretty close to what I’m going through, plus rejecting my password and making me reset it, so darn time consuming and annoying.

On 11/26/2018 at 8:31 AM, GUT2407 said:

I never logged out in the old system and was never auto logged out.

Ditto.

I stayed logged-in  for literally years. 

The only times I was involuntarily logged-out was after a power cut (outage in America-speak) or a change of router.

So rare that I forgot my password - now I know it off by heart.

JB :classic_wacko: 

Edited by John Bull

Hi John

When you log in are you logging in to CC.com or CC.co.uk?

The two are not as well connected as the used to be.  The email advice that

you had posted here came up with the .co.uk address in the link so when I clicked it, it wanted me to log in again, because I was logged into CC,com.

( I stay logged into that all the time now and dont seem to get logged out )

10 hours ago, John Bull said:

I stayed logged-in  for literally years.

Again, this is simply not true. You would always have been logged out after 20-30 minutes of inactivity, depending on what the board setting was. That has not changed.

What has changed is that if you used to use automatic log-in, in the old software you would not have seen the process whereby you were automatically logged in the first time you came back to CC after an inactivity timeout. The current log-in system makes the workings of that process clearer than before.

But none of that means that you were logged in "for years" before. You weren't.

How can I be so confident of this? It's because I always browse everything through an In Private / Incognito window. This means that the automatic log-in cookie is deleted whenever I close the browser window. In turn, that means that automatic log-in didn't work for me in the old software and doesn't work for me in the new software unless I kept/keep the same browser window open for a long time. There has been no change in behaviour between the old software and the new, other than the longer automatic log-in process that you can now see in action.

On 11/26/2018 at 9:58 PM, alibabacruisers said:

... never had the think about redirecting from CC to UK to Australia ...

This was always a problem before in the same way that it is now. It's possible that the visibility has increased if the emails sent out by CC now contain different URLs from what they used to, but the actual movement from the .com to the .co.uk to the .com.au sites always behaved in the same way as the site currently behaves.

On 11/26/2018 at 9:58 PM, alibabacruisers said:

... never had to think about the font size, color of the font ...

Nor do you now. I don't think I've tinkered with any font on the old software or the new software, except to test things.

11 hours ago, Aulanis said:

Hi John

When you log in are you logging in to CC.com or CC.co.uk?

The two are not as well connected as the used to be.  The email advice that

you had posted here came up with the .co.uk address in the link so when I clicked it, it wanted me to log in again, because I was logged into CC,com.

( I stay logged into that all the time now and dont seem to get logged out )

Hi Aulanis,

It's always dot co dot uk.

Always, because even if I dial in dot com I still end up with dot co dot uk

There's been occasions when I've had to swap notes with folk on the other side of the Pond to know, for instance, prices being quoted there.

So what's your sneaky way of joining dot com? 

BTW for G. Yes, I kinda guessed it was something like being automatically logged-out without knowing it if I simply wandered off, and being sneakily logged-in when I returned. That bit of subterfuge has been brought out into the open in this new format. :classic_wink: 

JB :classic_unsure: 

I dont know about sneaky.  BUT wait, today the link for your post came through with a dot com address.  Usually if you were in .co.uk when you posted it would come through with the thread opening on .co.uk and I would have to change the url or log out and log in to .co.uk to  answer.

Maybe CC have tweaked something.

Anyway to always log in to .com as first choice you need to log out of CC then close all CC pages. Remove any cookies relating to CC and Invision then

in your browser enter     boards.cruisecritic.com    and see how that goes.

David

Edited by Aulanis

9 hours ago, John Bull said:

So what's your sneaky way of joining dot com? 

Bookmark this URL: https://www.cruisecritic.com?setrd=s

Once you've clicked that to go to the main site, you should find yourself staying on .com, whether on the main CC site or on the boards.

9 hours ago, John Bull said:

Yes, I kinda guessed it was something like being automatically logged-out without knowing it if I simply wandered off, and being sneakily logged-in when I returned. That bit of subterfuge has been brought out into the open in this new format.

I'm not sure it's really fair to describe it as subterfuge! When there was a box with the option, it said something like "Remember me", not "Keep me logged in". All IBBs (and pretty much every other site that requires a log in but gives you the option of an automatic log in) work like this.