Late August Cruise to Canada and New England Passengers

Tina1967

Wondered if anyone had been on this cruise this year leaving around 28th August? Just wondered what If there were many kids on this cruise as when we cruised this itinerary on NCL last year in early Sept there were only a handful. Thanks 

I haven't been on a similar itinerary at quite that time of year, but I can tell you that school will already have begun in the southern U.S. In the northeastern U.S., the first day of school for many will be Wednesday, 4 September, 2019.  A seven-day cruise starting on 24 or 25 August would end in time for children from states like mine to start school, and would likely be popular among families with children in school as many like to travel just before school resumes.

To be clear: Labor Day is the first Monday in September.

I'm not sure that any New England and eastern Canada itinerary will have very many families with children. These itineraries especially appeal to history buffs, and parents might predict that children would be bored. The ships on these itineraries tend to alternate the Canada-New England one with either Bermuda or the Caribbean, from the same departure ports.

It might also depend on the ship. Families with children seem to prefer the largest ships, where there are the most activities aboard ship.

Thanks for all your replies we sail on the 29th of August on Anthem. So it looks like from what everyone is saying there won’t be many children on the cruise. We had thought the itinerary was geared more towards adults than kids and chose to go here again after last time.

We don’t do beach holidays etc so thought this itinerary would suit us best as we prefer to get out and see places and do stuff even if we have done it already.

Agree with others. We are Midwest and most schools will have started no later than the 3rd week of August. Prices drop into the bargain basement for that last week of August (across all the mass market cruise lines) indicating drastic drop in demand due to school schedules. With the exception of Spring Break - where prices are often reasonable even though the ships are full of children - you can pretty well predict based on price whether many families will be on board.  More discounting = fewer kids.

Perhaps another indicator of expected 'family' demand is if it possible to book 3 person cabins for just double occupancy?  I note that 3 -pax cabins are blocked in July but open in September.  I'm not sure how popular these cabins are though.