Random Notes, Voyager, 11/26-12/6/18, Miami-Miami--LIVE!

Mr Rumor

Thanks, Jackie, Portolan, Rick and gnomie!  Gnomie, Shauna loved that pink hat so much that she insisted on wearing it at dinner in CR the last night (it was “Relaxed Casual,” so why not).  

Rachel, I’m glad this was one of my shortest cruise live-blogs for you to have to catch up on in a binge-read.  We’re sitting on a Future Cruise Deposit Certificate plus already have three future cruises booked, so I didn’t feel the pressure to make an onboard booking this time.  But if I had had a little more time to settle on an itinerary with Ginny. . .  (A ten-day cruise goes by too fast!)

Needless to say, we’ve made it back safely to the much chillier climes of the Land of Enchantment.  On our first leg, MIA-DFW, there was a “change in equipment” at the last minute, from the scheduled Boeing 757 to a 767.  I don’t think we’ve ever traveled in an emptier main cabin!

4015D4AC-D446-41CE-9C98-F25A0317257C.thumb.jpeg.783c40163ba69811b05b82ae3da17b64.jpeg

We may have to bundle up now, but we’re still feeling warm and fuzzy this morning from our absolutely wonderful cruise.  We were blessed by great weather and interesting ports. Onboard, the service and food were tops.  Regarding the latter, my exercising (3534 calories burned) was once again out-paced by my eating.  I can’t bring myself to list the number of pounds gained—I’ll just say that Merle Travis once sang about a hammer that weighed as much!

It especially did our hearts good to see Shauna enjoy herself so much from her first “Com’n, mom—get up!” in the morning until her last post-show giggle of the day.  And we know this cruise will also live on in the sense of new friends made.

Thank you for keeping me company on this blog, and for all your kind words and support.  Ginny and Shauna join me in wishing you peace and joy this holiday season!

85669206-09A2-4AE8-9189-5CA1F350B45E.thumb.jpeg.970b3809a4239015c57aec9a21b63605.jpeg

• Like 5

Thank you, Sheila.  I still have a vivid memory of dining next to you at that Cannes outdoor cafe on the Explorer maiden voyage, and our being served those ginormous crepes!

Thanks, too, Bob.  You and your DW keep cruising Regent and DW and I will keep cruising Regent, and hopefully we’ll get to ply the seas together one day.  I’d love to joint-blog with you!

I woke up this morning recalling a conversation I had with a staffer on this cruise.  Her words are resonating with me with because they go to the heart of what keeps Ginny and me loyal to Regent, namely the warmth with which we’re always welcomed back onboard and the friendly, personable service that warms us throughout.  And, oh yes, those smiles. 

The staff member noted that every new crew/staff member goes through a training called “Regent Care.”  “Nowhere in that training are we told to smile,” she said.  What is stressed, she said, is that crew/staff think of each other, and passengers, as family:  “The warm feeling on Regent ships stem from that teaching.”

The staffer went on to talk about how she had found the love of her life working in another department aboard and how Regent works to accommodate each Regent crew couple by scheduling them to sail together whenever possible, in essence practicing what it teaches about family.

That led me to recall a comment from a stewardess six for seven cruises ago whose husband, she said, was also working onboard as a steward:  “Regent is smart.  It knows it is hard to be happy and welcoming when you are missing your husband or wife every day.”

Because I like “photo finishes,” I’d like to close with a photo that a new cruising friend, Janet, Air-Dropped to me as we stood in the Reception Area on Thursday morning waiting for our luggage tag color/numbers to be called.  Janet had taken this wonderful sunset shot the night before.

A final thanks to all,  and “sea ya” around!

161003DC-52E5-4AF4-9395-3721FC895311.thumb.jpeg.38adbf79ec20bc678b2afffd9c311649.jpeg

Edited by Mr Rumor
  • Like 1

What a wonderful post especially for this time of year. Boarding a Regent ship always feels like coming home to us. Those smiles and familiar crew members recognizing us make our day! And, those welcomes will be coming our way Saturday in Sydney. Now, we just need our power back on here in Greenville to finish last minute trip prep!

• Like 1