Passports

MrmrsSteelman

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Your passport is gold. 

It it is the one thing that can’t be easily replaced. And it is the one thing that you must have to renter the US. 

Every cruise, multiple guests are the victim of a crime. Pickpockets. Theft. A handbag left draped over the back of a chair at a restaurant. A bag left on the beach while you are swimming. A bag left on a bus or in a taxi. 

If if it is not required by the country you are visiting, don’t risk carrying it. 

Your "multiple guest"  comments are bigger problems.   Every trip I see careless,  visitors-  who just about put a sign up "rob me".    Large wads of money counting,  wallets in pockets,   neck wallets swinging openly on their necks,   wearing ship cards  etc.    It's basic knowledge-  about purses on chairs-   so apparently loosing your credit cards and money is acceptable?   

I know what my Embassy locations are where I travel.   Known in  advance of my travelers.   I'd make arrangements and be able to do what I needed to.   I HAVE had some urgency experience with absolutely having to present my passport.  I would have been in dire trouble if I hadn't had it on me.    And no,  it was completely unexpected and could have happened to anyone.   

3 hours ago, CentralFloridaFamily said:

That is so nice! So you are saying that before the ship leaves the pier, the get the passports of any guests who got off but did not get back on the ship, and leave them at the pier before departing? This is the first I heard of this. We usually took ours with us just in case we missed the ship. Is this courtesy practice documented anywhere in the cruise documents, or is it just known to insiders and those who have missed the ship?

Here's an article that talks about most cruise lines searching the safe for your passport: https://cruisefever.net/03231-what-happens-when-you-miss-your-ship/

I like the app "Mobile Passport" for keeping my passport information..... while it currently is only accepted at Miami Seaport, Port Everglades and Port of West Palm Beach for cruising it is accepted at 25 US airports if you need to fly home.  I travel on WHTI Closed Loop cruises where a passport is not required and if I need to fly home and the crew can't get to my safe then I have a valid electronic passport...... and the app is officially authorized by US Customs and Border Protection.

As mentioned earlier, copies of a passport will offer you zero benefits other than having your information available to expedite a new passport. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 6:53 AM, MrmrsSteelman said:

Hubby and I will be on the getaway in 41 days! It’s our first cruise ever. We will be stopping in Roatan, Harvest Caye, costa maya and Cozumel. Do we take our passport off the ship with us at each stop? Do we need it to get back on the ship or is our room cards/Id all we need? Thanks!

We never take the passports with us off the ship, unless it is announced that you must do so.  We make photo copies of our passports and take that, as well as driver's licenses.

OP you don't need it unless stated otherwise and no I would not take it with me, unless you feel there is a good chance you might miss the ship. A photo of your passport will help in obtaining another if you need it. 

In 25 cruise I think I've brought it with me about 4 times, twice I had to (Egypt overnight), once I didn't realize I didn't need it and the other time because I thought there was a good chance my plans would have me miss the ship. In general I leave it in the room safe. I do however carry state or government issued photo ID usually my enhanced Driver's licence or Passport card. (Occasionally Global Entry card.)

Edited by xenagurl

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2018 at 11:26 PM, esm54687 said:

I like the app "Mobile Passport" for keeping my passport information..... while it currently is only accepted at Miami Seaport, Port Everglades and Port of West Palm Beach for cruising it is accepted at 25 US airports if you need to fly home.  I travel on WHTI Closed Loop cruises where a passport is not required and if I need to fly home and the crew can't get to my safe then I have a valid electronic passport...... and the app is officially authorized by US Customs and Border Protection.

As mentioned earlier, copies of a passport will offer you zero benefits other than having your information available to expedite a new passport. 

I don't know exactly what was happening Saturday morning when our family got off Oosterdam with the first Self-assist group at Port Everglades Terminal 26. There was no support for Mobile Passport. We quite luckily were guided into the GlobalAssist lane and I was told to put my phone away, that they did not support MP. There was a single CBP agent checking people, and we got serviced before all the masses. One agent! There were lanes for 15-20 agents, and I think one other agent came in to start dealing with the 2,000 passengers. THIS IS RIDICULOUS I would have assumed that the shutdown would not affect port customs operations, as most people would identify these people as essential personnel. Again, we got lucky and were given a fast-pass. I am surprised no one else on our Roll Call has posted any issues on disembarkation. I'll be calling Rubio's office Monday.

Also, to reply to another request, our passports that expired within a month or so were accepted by HAL upon checkin without any incident.  The Birth Certs stayed in an envelope the entire cruise and were never needed.