Very few people on our two roll calls.

PAKathy

We have really reduced our participating on HAL Roll Calls and seldom attend the Meet and Greets.  Too many times they become blogs of silly gossip (my cat is better then your cat,   we like our dogs, our %&4th cousin 10 times removed has died, etc).  And then you get those that want to have gift exchanges, put on skits, have "rules" such as no discussing of private tours, etc.  Lately we have found Princess Roll Calls and MGs becoming like HAL's.  Our primary use of Roll Calls was to discuss the ports and various DIY or Private tour options.  Cruise line excursions are find for those who like those large group tours, but need little discussion (once booked) since the participants are pretty much sheep that follow the leader.  With those of us who do our own thing,  it is a different situation since we can control our own itinerary, decide where we might want to have a nice long lunch (and join others) etc.  

Onboard we have been to many M&Gs that are a complete bore. On HAL Officers have stopped attending most M&Gs for various reasons..  Princess has been hit and miss (mostly miss).  On the other hand, you have other cruise lines such as MSC where all the Senior Officers (including the Captain) will attend, socialize, the cruise line will provide decent snacks and even drinks and nobody is trying to impose their silly rules on what discussions (even if private) are appropriate.

Hank

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

On HAL Officers have stopped attending most M&Gs for various reasons..  Princess has been hit and miss (mostly miss).  On the other hand, you have other cruise lines such as MSC where all the Senior Officers (including the Captain) will attend, socialize, the cruise line will provide decent snacks and even drinks and nobody is trying to impose their silly rules on what discussions (even if private) are appropriate.

On RCCL and Celebrity (and maybe MSC) the ship basically sponsors the M&Gs so there is always participation by officers. On Princess the M&G is organized by Roll Call members and the organizers must send out invitations to the ship's personnel they would like to attend.

My experience is that there is usually a good number of officers present if invitations have been sent out and the meeting has not been scheduled (done by Princess) at a time the staff cannot attend.

1 hour ago, caribill said:

On RCCL and Celebrity (and maybe MSC) the ship basically sponsors the M&Gs so there is always participation by officers. On Princess the M&G is organized by Roll Call members and the organizers must send out invitations to the ship's personnel they would like to attend.

My experience is that there is usually a good number of officers present if invitations have been sent out and the meeting has not been scheduled (done by Princess) at a time the staff cannot attend.

I think my favorite M&G was on Princess when Captain Nash and the CD both attended and talked. That was a cruise highlight. 

The worst  was on RCI when we had a gift exchange. The idea was to bring something made in your home area. It was fun seeing what people brought right up till I opened mine and it was a map of Houston with an airport gift shop sticker on it. That was deflating!

i enjoy good Roll Calls because I love the build up to a cruise, and it’s fun to share that with others. I do like being able to set up private tours to save money and to be able to enjoy a less “herd” experience. 

Part of my enjoyment of cruises comes from the friendly people you interact with. An active Roll Call means taking your little village on vacation with you.