Port Everglades car rental shuttle near port?

LoriSan

There is a fairly new car rental center at Port Everglades itself, with shuttles to the cruise terminal. No need to drop the car in town and get a cab.  Alamo is one of the companies there (we just rented from them), I don’t know the others. (Alamo is on Eller Drive.) When you are checking companies on line, be careful to look for a Port Everglades drop off location (not the FLL airport or in town). 

Edited by Turtles06

Port Everglades rental car situation is a bit confusing at times because everything is close to the airport yet there are different policies in place.

There are NO shuttles from the airport Car Rental Center or 17th Street locations to the Port.

Within a reasonable radius from the Port entrance gates you will find:

• Hertz
  • Sixt
  • Enterprise (two locations but no shuttles to/from cruise terminals)
  • Dollar/Thrifty
  • Ace
  • Budget  (two locations but only one with free shuttle)
  • Avis (two locations but only one with free shuttle)
  • Fox (no free shuttle)
  • Alamo
  • Payless

It takes a lot of writing to explain it here, but you can read this: Port Everglades Car Rental for Cruisers

Port-Everglades-Rental-Cars-Locations.jp

Edited by SteerageJoe

5 hours ago, SteerageJoe said:

Port Everglades rental car situation is a bit confusing at times because everything is close to the airport yet there are different policies in place.

There are NO shuttles from the airport Car Rental Center or 17th Street locations to the Port.

I was amazed at the number of totally confused people on our Alamo shuttle last week from the cruise terminal to the Alamo rental office at Port Everglades.   When our shuttle got to the rental office, it turned out that half the folks on board thought the shuttle was taking them to the car rental at the airport!  This despite the fact that Alamo's  email with the rental confirmation makes it very clear that there is no shuttle from the port to the airport.   I think it would be helpful if the shuttle signage at the terminal said no shuttles to airport car rental, and also if the shuttles themselves had a big sign in the front window saying: Shuttle Does NOT Go to Airport.  (It would probably be good if the driver announced this as well.)  I really was amazed at how many people thought they were going to the airport.   

8 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I was amazed at the number of totally confused people on our Alamo shuttle last week from the cruise terminal to the Alamo rental office at Port Everglades.   When our shuttle got to the rental office, it turned out that half the folks on board thought the shuttle was taking them to the car rental at the airport!  This despite the fact that Alamo's  email with the rental confirmation makes it very clear that there is no shuttle from the port to the airport.   I think it would be helpful if the shuttle signage at the terminal said no shuttles to airport car rental, and also if the shuttles themselves had a big sign in the front window saying: Shuttle Does NOT Go to Airport.  (It would probably be good if the driver announced this as well.)  I really was amazed at how many people thought they were going to the airport.   

So true!   

When dropping off at Port Everglades, I like to use Dollar. Always had a simple process of dropping off and quick shuttle transfer. Most recently (11/11), it was 10 minutes from drop off to arriving at the ship and we were the only people on the shuttle bus.

Has anyone rented a car at FLL and returned it to the cruise terminal?  We are looking at renting from Alamo when we arrive the night before our cruise and returning the car to the cruise terminal location.  I phoned Alamo at port everglades and was told they provide a shuttle to the cruise ship, but I'd feel better hearing from someone who has actually returned a car to the port.  Our hotel provides transportation from the airport, but we have a couple of other things we want to do the night before the cruise and having a car would be much easier than using taxis.

9 minutes ago, Cajuntraveler said:

Has anyone rented a car at FLL and returned it to the cruise terminal?  We are looking at renting from Alamo when we arrive the night before our cruise and returning the car to the cruise terminal location.  I phoned Alamo at port everglades and was told they provide a shuttle to the cruise ship, but I'd feel better hearing from someone who has actually returned a car to the port.  Our hotel provides transportation from the airport, but we have a couple of other things we want to do the night before the cruise and having a car would be much easier than using taxis.

As I noted in my comment above, we rented from the Alamo location at the Port; we did not return the car there, so I can't speak personally to the return, but they do have shuttles there that go to/from the cruise terminals.  Have you tried a dummy booking on line to see if you can pick the car up at FLL and return it to the Port location? 

17 minutes ago, Cajuntraveler said:

Absolutely!

Alamo has a large comfortable facility near the Port and  a reliable shuttle system.

Alamo-Lounge.jpg

Alamo-Port.jpg

Alamo-Desk.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2018 at 6:18 PM, Cajuntraveler said:

Thanks for your reply.!  I booked with Alamo at FLL with return to the port location.  Good to hear from someone who has used Alamo at the cruise port. 

We did this last March.  We actually only rented the car from Alamo for the morning. We picked the car up at FLL very early on the morning of our cruise, had a leisurely breakfast, made a stop at Total Wine to purchase wine to take onboard, drove to the Alamo car center at the port and they shuttled us to our ship.  Very easy and ended up costing us less $$ than getting an Uber to breakfast, then to the liquor store, then to the ship.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2018 at 4:50 PM, Cajuntraveler said:

I have a rental from Budget, picking up at FLL and dropping off at Cruiseport Shuttle.

Two weeks ago we rented a car through Alamo at FLL to have transportation for a few days prior to our cruise on Celebrity Edge. The line to finalize the pick up was the longest and slowest I've ever experienced. Ample agents, but far too many clueless customers. Nevertheless, we got our car and were able to use my iphone to navigate the area.  Although we were told to return the car via Eisenhower, the port security told us to turn around and use the entry closer to the airport. Back onto 17th and toward the airport, under a bridge, over a ramp, turn left then right, eventually brought us to the back side of Alamo. Even Waze was confused! As soon as we parked, we were told to ignore the Do Not Enter sigh and go around to the back of the building to the return line [easy entry through Eisenhower]. There was an Alamo PE shuttle parked adjacent to the car, the driver assisted with our luggage and within a few minutes we were heading to the ship. Although we usually rent through Enterprise, Alamo had the best rate. 

Darcy

On 12/22/2018 at 7:03 AM, WatchHill said:

Two weeks ago we rented a car through Alamo at FLL to have transportation for a few days prior to our cruise on Celebrity Edge. The line to finalize the pick up was the longest and slowest I've ever experienced. Ample agents, but far too many clueless customers. Nevertheless, we got our car and were able to use my iphone to navigate the area.  Although we were told to return the car via Eisenhower, the port security told us to turn around and use the entry closer to the airport. Back onto 17th and toward the airport, under a bridge, over a ramp, turn left then right, eventually brought us to the back side of Alamo. Even Waze was confused! As soon as we parked, we were told to ignore the Do Not Enter sigh and go around to the back of the building to the return line [easy entry through Eisenhower]. There was an Alamo PE shuttle parked adjacent to the car, the driver assisted with our luggage and within a few minutes we were heading to the ship. Although we usually rent through Enterprise, Alamo had the best rate. 

Darcy

That's why I use the Alamo kiosk or "skip the counter" and go right to the lot at FLL.