MSC threatening to revoke my status

Markanddonna

I received a status match to black, as did my husband, we booked a cruise and paid for it in full (within 90 days of sailing.)  We received an email that they were "auditing" the status match and informed me I didn't include my first and last name, my status on the other cruise line and the logo.  I wrote back with my MSC status number and got this response:

In a recent audit of our status match requests, there were missing items found on your request. We will need to see documentation including all of the required items below. Without this, your match status will be revoked. Please advise. Thank you.

First Name
Last Name
Loyalty Status Level
Company Name and logo

If I could, I would revoke my booking, but it is less than 90 days out. I have had SO many problems with their website and now this!  So, they clearly must have had all my info when they first issued me the Black Card status or they wouldn't have done so.  

I'm new to MSC, but my experience is that they are VERY picky about exact matches for the name.  They had to edit my online account to exactly match my name on the cruise docs to get the cruise linked to my username on the site.  My husband's name on the status match isn't the same as the cruise, so it isn't showing on the site.  But it's in the cruise docs.

Call and ask how to get it resolved.

Edited by cathep

I have had so many problems with my discounts "falling off my reservation", one of my two cruise reservations disappearing, and about eight different invoice prices, and now this. I did provide the information again, as they requested.  The customer service rep was absolutely no help this time. Sometimes, their reps are very understanding and try to be helpful. 

I want to post a slightly contrarian point of view.  We are about to take our first MSC cruise (in 2 days) which we booked more then a year ago.  As very frequent cruisers (with many cruise lines) we have high status on several lines...so we did apply for Status Match before we booked.  There were some hassles because the small number of staff assigned to handle Status Match have been overwhelmed with applications (we know this because we actually talked to one of the staff).  MSC is the only cruise line doing anything similar to this Status Match (some other cruise lines within a corporation will give some match only within their own cruise family).  When we spoke to the MSC staffer who did the match work we heard some interesting (and amusing) tales of how folks try to cheat their system (which is already quite generous).  So, if they mess up some of the matching stuff, just try to work with them and understand that they must deal with many folks who are not as honest as you.

We have read quite a few posts from folks who had problems with discounts, fare changes, etc.  We have had zero problems...which we attribute to the fact that we use cruise agencies (we have 4 that we favor) for all of our cruise bookings.  Not only do we save money, but our agencies/agents have lots of experience, document everything in e-mails, and quickly respond to any questions or issue.  It is their job to deal with MSC (and the other cruise lines we use) and they do a good job.  And the nice thing is that they actually pay us, for their business.  On our upcoming MSC cruise we have a $700 On Board Credit complements of our selected cruise agency.  If we had booked directly with MSC we would have paid the same price for the cruise but not have received the generous OBC.  Decent high volume cruise agencies can often give you 7-10% of the cruise price in On Board Credits or other perks.  In a sense it is free money.

Hank

• Like 1