Review of Volendam January 2-11, 2006

Kathyh1313

Thanks Kathy for your quick response! It is important for me to know that one is a ways from the other, and from town.

Heather writes- About Dominica, I talked with HAL about this awhile back. When you look at the HAL itinerary they show it as one stop only. When you look at the itineraries offered by various agents they show 2 stops...Cabrits and Roseau. HAL told me it has always been one stop and they had no idea why the TA's show anything different. So who knows? But that's the story they gave me.

I am not sure about what they mean by "it has always been one stop." I can tell you that when we went in 2003 on the Volendam, The ship was in Roseau from 7am-1pm, then the one thousand or so passengers on the ship cruised over to Cabrits, and then sat in the bay for a few hours while one tender went to shore to pick about 20 people who had been on a tour. My guess... and only a guess, would be that the one thousand passengers on each cruise thought it would have been time better spent to get to stay in Roseau for a few extra hours, and stated such on their comment cards at the end of the trip:)

To Igarner, you can check on where the cruise ship will dock in St. Thomas here:

http://www.st-thomas.com/ click on "cruise ships", and they will have the port schedule listed. Right now it only shows January... I'm not sure when they will list February, but in January they dock in both Havensight and Crown Bay.

Thank you also to Heather for the info on Eagle Beach in Aruba.

I too am getting anxious to go on our cruise, but we have to wait until March. I have posted my plans on our thread for the 3/23/06 Volendam trip. Others have posted some good info too.

Hope all of you have a great time!

AC

AC, I'm sorry. I should have been more specific. I didn't mean always as in forever. I meant currently ... late 2005 through 2006. That's my mistake ... I should have been more clear.

But that may be why the TA sites show the 2 stops ... the fact that in the past they had done it that way.

"Our phone never worked until day 5. No dial tone, no nothing. I had brought a travel alarm clock with me and I am glad I did as we could not dial in for the wake up feature on the phone. "

Hi Kathy,

I'm guessing that the phone problems were the middle rooms near that middle elevator that were affected by the no phone service. Too bad for such an inconvenience for you, especially since you were under the weather! I guess since we were closer to the front elevator, that's why we didn't have those problems. I agree, that they could have handled the service to you much better.

For future cruisers on the Volemdam, the items I would bring to this ship are:

1. Small alarm clock, as there is no clock in the room. Really surprised at that. The last several cruises on other lines had a clock somewhere. I did win an alarm clock/calculator toward the end of the cruise, at the trivia game, so that helped.

2. The safe in the room works by swiping a credit card, and your room key won't work for this. I wish I had brought a "useless" credit card to swipe this, instead of having to use my main Visa, which I then had to carry around everywhere, along with my room key. I always leave all credit cards at home, except that one. I wasn't in our room all that much, so that's all I really needed.

Otherwise, no complaints--we had a great time! Half Moon Cay is fantastic--so beautiful! I didn't have any problem with the food--gained 5 pounds, even trying to watch what I ate.

Wish I were you future cruisers--would love to be back on the ship!

Chris

The info about Dominica is very helpful. Did HAL offer any explanation about the change in itinerary? Or the change in formal nights? I was expecting three formal nights but our docs say two. I think, thanks to your review, I will plan for 3 formal nights just in case.

The laundry bag deal sounds good to me - was this offered about mid-cruise? Just trying to plan in advance.

The port info for Curacao is helpful. What about in St. Thomas? I have heard Crown Bay but not sure.

For all who have done this itinerary before - are the fireworks displays due to carnival or a particular night?Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Glad I could be of help.

No info about the change in itinerary regarding Roseau. And no info about the formal nights. Historically it is 3 on a 10 night cruise, was suprised when we got our docs and 2 formals, 3 informals were listed. DH and I actually changed what we were bringing in regards to formal wear based on this info. So we were shocked when the first daily program listed 3 formals. I will always take 3 formal nites wear on a 10 night cruise from now on.

Laundry deal was ongoing. The cloth laundry bag along with a slip is hanging in the closet. I think the info was in the welcome aboard packet as well.

In St Thomas we docked at Havensite. But there were only 2 ships in St Thomas on that day. The Volendam and Carnival Destiny. In the past DH and I have rented a jeep from Budget. Both Budget and Avis are located directly across the street from Havensite.

It is my understanding that Curacao has a fireworks display for every HAL ship upon departure. We just got "extras" because of the opening of Karnival.

I am sure you will love you cruise on the Volendam, we certainly did.

Kathy

2. The safe in the room works by swiping a credit card, and your room key won't work for this. I wish I had brought a "useless" credit card to swipe this, instead of having to use my main Visa, which I then had to carry around everywhere, along with my room key. I always leave all credit cards at home, except that one. I wasn't in our room all that much, so that's all I really needed. Chris

I used my AAA automobile card for the safe. Any card with a magnetic strip will do. I have also heard that those grocery store cards work too. I had read about this on the board so took my AAA card for this purpose. It was a great tip.

Kathy

Kathy, thanks for a wonderful review! I appreciate the time you took to address every issue, good and bad, in great detail. I'm sorry that you weren't feeling well and were disappointment in certain areas, but glad that you made the best of the circumstances.

I leave this coming Sunday, the 22nd, for my 10 days on the Volendam and after reading your review, I am now just realizing how excited I am getting. I have been so busy with other things going on that I haven't really focused yet on being on the ship. Your review changed all that!!!

Thank you so much for mentioning the 3 formal nights! I, too, was surprised when I read only 2 formal nights in my cruise package.

I was surprised when I read that certain ships still have the old safes that require credit cards. I so much prefer the coded safes. Thanks to both you and Chris for bringing it up and also for suggesting to bring along a second credit card.

Chris, Heather and all other contributors, thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences and offering suggestions as well!

(By the way Kathy, I live in Lafayette. I assume your daughter attends UL? Feel free to contact me on my private email if I can do anything for you.)

You are welcome Susan. I truly enjoyed writing the review. Although I have been on 12 cruises, I have never written a review. Since we returned on a Thursday and I was returning to work on Monday, I had time on the weekend.

I know you will enjoy the Volendam, we certainly did. Even though everything did not go smoothly, and there were a few dissapointments, they were not significant enough to do damage to our overall enjoyment of the cruise. I would love to sail the Volendam again. The ports of call were spectacular.

I'm glad if any of my tips and iformation can make things smoother for future cruisers such as yourself. Besides, I feel a kinship with you with the Lafayette connection. I love Lafayette and can't wait for my next visit to your wonderful city! Yes, DD attends ULL, she is a 5th year senior. I am keeping my fingers crossed that she will graduate in May.

Happy cruising, Kathy

Thanks Heather, I will email you right away. Did you try the snorkeling at Eagle beach? We want to snorkel at least part of the time in Aruba. But a beach with shade and beach chair rentals sounds good too.

9 months ago, when we booked this cruise, I printed the itinerary from HALs sight and it showed the two stops at Dominica. They must have changed due to customer requests - I am happy they did!

Kathy - thanks for the info on St. Thomas. I believe when we are there, there will be 4 ships total so we may get pushed to Crown Bay.

AC thanks for the site to check docks in St. Thomas. I tried that one before but it doesn't show Feb. I'll keep trying. I am also planning to read your roll call site and see what you and the others on your trip are recommending. Thanks.

Chris - great info on the card for the safe. Last HAL cruise this was also the case but I forgot - thanks for the reminder!

Two weeks from today and DH and I will be on board the Volendam!!

Lisa

Kathy,

Lisa reminded me when she asked about St. Thomas, have they finished constructing the walkways. I was there last january and they were building a walkway to cut down on the walking into town. It was in front of the first ship docked. It's not a bad walk back to the ship but when you have to walk through havensite and then around past the Wendy's and of course with all that traffic right next to the sidewalk. Of course that won't help if we are at Crown Bay. I was there too when I was on the Westerdam and there were 7 ships in the harbor.

Lisa, thanks for checking. It's nice to know ahead how croweded it will be.

michelle

Kathy,

Lisa reminded me when she asked about St. Thomas, have they finished constructing the walkways. I was there last january and they were building a walkway to cut down on the walking into town. It was in front of the first ship docked. It's not a bad walk back to the ship but when you have to walk through havensite and then around past the Wendy's and of course with all that traffic right next to the sidewalk. Of course that won't help if we are at Crown Bay. I was there too when I was on the Westerdam and there were 7 ships in the harbor.

Lisa, thanks for checking. It's nice to know ahead how croweded it will be.

michelle

Hi Michelle,

I am sorry, I can't answer your question. We did not walk into town. Just went to the AH Riise store, ordered our liquor and then a taxi to Sapphire Beach. I would hope walkways would be completed in one years time, but you never know.

Happy cruising, Kathy

Kathy,

Did you get the feeling that your entire cabin was recently renovated? Did your carpeting and curtains seem new? I know the bedding was recently replaced, however, since they had the ship in drydock, I was distressed to find out that "perhaps" the carpeting and draperies were not replaced.

How did you find them?

Kathy,

Did you get the feeling that your entire cabin was recently renovated? Did your carpeting and curtains seem new? I know the bedding was recently replaced, however, since they had the ship in drydock, I was distressed to find out that "perhaps" the carpeting and draperies were not replaced.

How did you find them?

Hi,

Our cabin on the Volendam had a new plasma TV and DVD player, but otherwise, the cabin itself had not been renovated, and looked a little worn. Still that did not detract from our cruise experience.

Chris

OK, why not. :confused: For heaven's sake you had the ship in drydrock, why not make her look completely new?

Here's why I'm upset. We are used to sailing on new/almost new ships (of course, some of our earlier cruises weren't). Don't jump all over me--we all have our preferences. I loved the intinerary on the Volendam 10-dayer. I wanted to try HAL.

My husband asked if it were a new ship. No, 1999, said I after doing my research, however it's just out of drydock and will be all new and spiffy-looking. Guess not. :(

Kathy,

How did you find them?

Mafig,

Our cabin looked pretty spiffy. The curtains were fine, not new but no signs of wear. The carpets were clean as well, no signs of wear. I believe the carpeting in the corridors was replaced, blue on starboard, red on port.

The sheets were new, but no duvets in the veranda suites, just in the deluxe and penthouse suites. Our towels were very fluffy.

The only thing about the cabin I did not like was the unattractive prints of the ducks on the wall opposite the bed.

Overall the ship was sparkling clean. Even though this ship debuted in 1999, I would not be worried. This ship has not been abused and is in wonderful condition.

Enjoy your time on the Volendam, Kathy

Check in was quick and easy. DH is not a US citizen (yet) and the line for non US citizens was quite short and moved swiftly. The line for US citizens was very long at 12:30 and I am not sure how long others had to wait. This was the first time I was glad DH was not a US citizen!

The thermal suite in the spa was a $20 per person per day charge. I used it on 2 days and DH on one. The first day I enjoyed the Thermal Suite, both times, morning and afternoon, I was the sole occupant! The thallasotherapy pool is nothing more than a small heated spa with not very powerful whirlpool jets, a bit disappointing. There are 2 showers which have cool mist aromatherapy, very neat. Overall the experience in the Thermal Suite was worth the price; I was relaxed and energized at the same time.

The Beef Wellington and Rack of Lamb on the first formal night, which was served in our stateroom, was wonderful.

Happy cruising to all, Kathy

I have excerpted the sections of your review about which i have questions.

1) were you able to accompany your non-US husband thru that line or did you have to go separately. It sounded, time wise, as if you did.

2) Did the price of $20 a day for the thermal suite include the use of the thalossotherapy pool, or was there a separate charge for that? I haven't seen photos of the Tpool on HAL so can't really visualize it. Was it crowded and how many people would you guess it would hold? I am only familiar with those on m-class celebrity ships and that on Celebrity's Century. Anyone who has done both HAL and Celebrity's T pools, please chime in.

3) Can suite guests receive the dining room menu via room service? Or can anyone do this?

And where is Crown Bay in St Thomas? I lived in STT for 7 years and don't remember that name.

Thanks for the review. I found it to be very interesting, both the pros and cons.

Kathy,

Do you remember how long the immigration in St. Thomas takes? Just trying to plan the day and time is short for all we want to do. Do you know what time you were able to disembark?

Thanks.

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Immigration was very swift. You are called by your deck. There were separate rooms for US and Non US citizens. We were the second deck called, it took all of 7 minutes to wait in the line and be checked off. First stop was a quick one with a member of the ships crew highlighting your name on the ship's manifest and telling you to hold your passport open to the photo page, then I walked into the next room, there were 3 immigration officers standing there, I walked up to the closest one, he briefly glanced at my passport and that was it, I was then handed a card stating I was cleared for disembarkation.

Once you have that card you can leave the ship. You do not have to wait till the entire ship is cleared. However, you are not allowed back on board the ship after you leave until the entire ship is cleared. I think we could have left then ship by 8am. Again, it depends on your deck. I think DH and I left the ship around 8:30am and they were calling the last deck, if my memory is serving me.

I suppose at any time there could be delays.

Enjoy!

Kathy

I have excerpted the sections of your review about which i have questions.

1) were you able to accompany your non-US husband thru that line or did you have to go separately. It sounded, time wise, as if you did.

2) Did the price of $20 a day for the thermal suite include the use of the thalossotherapy pool, or was there a separate charge for that? I haven't seen photos of the Tpool on HAL so can't really visualize it. Was it crowded and how many people would you guess it would hold? I am only familiar with those on m-class celebrity ships and that on Celebrity's Century. Anyone who has done both HAL and Celebrity's T pools, please chime in.

3) Can suite guests receive the dining room menu via room service? Or can anyone do this?

And where is Crown Bay in St Thomas? I lived in STT for 7 years and don't remember that name.

Thanks for the review. I found it to be very interesting, both the pros and cons.

Flashdog,

1. Yes. At embarkation in Fort Lauderdale I accompanied my husband through the Non US citizen check in. Same at disembarkation. Very quick. It seemed like there were far fewer Non US citizens on this cruise. Even during immigration is St Thomas, they were calling that all Non US citizens could clear immigration quicker than the US citizens.

2. Yes. The $20 per day included the Thalassotherapy pool. The T-pool is tiny, kind of like a small hot tub. It is set up to seat 4, but I was in once with just one other person and that was enough for me. Unless I was with 3 of my closest friends. I have never been on Celebrity, so I cannot offer comparison. The first day I used the Thermal suite, I was alone both times. That was one of the most fabulous experiences of my life. In the afternoon I watched the sun set while lying on the heated ceramic lounger. The most crowded was when there were 5 people using the Thermal suite. It does change the atmosphere. Earlier in the cruise, fewer people are aware of the Thermal suite and that is the best time to use it. As word gets out, as the week continues, it gets more crowded. Go early and avoid the "crowds"

3. I believe all guests may order from the dinner menu. But it must be done at the start of the early dining room service. An exception was made in our case and we ordered much later than that. This was because we did not have phone service in our cabin, so an exception was made. Our room steward, Ricki was terrific. He went out of his way to make sure I was comfortable while I was ill. He tracked down the room service guy and had him bring us the menu and take our order.

I believe Crown Bay is on the far side of the harbor on the other side of downtown Charlotte Amalie. Although I have never docked there.

I am so happy you enjoyed my review. It has been delightful for me to communicate and help fellow cruise lovers in this way.

Enjoy you time on the Volendam. Kathy

Kathy,

Thanks for the information about the T pool. Doesn't sound worth it to me. The only advantage I can see is that it is indoors as opposed to the public whirlpools outdoors. You helped me make a decision and save a bunch.

And thanks for the heads up about ordering room service from the dining room menu. I know we will be exhausted at least one night after a hot excursion, and it's nice to know we have that option.

Are you well yet?

Kathy,

Thanks for the information about the T pool. Doesn't sound worth it to me. The only advantage I can see is that it is indoors as opposed to the public whirlpools outdoors. You helped me make a decision and save a bunch.

And thanks for the heads up about ordering room service from the dining room menu. I know we will be exhausted at least one night after a hot excursion, and it's nice to know we have that option.

Are you well yet?

You are welcome Flashdog. Glad I could be of service.

I am just about well. This rotten cold started on December 28th! I called my doc when I got back from the cruise and he said the colds are lasting 3 to

3 1/2weeks! YIKES! I am at the 3 1/2 week mark and just starting to feel better. Thanks for asking.

Kathy

Great review Kathy, thank you. Glad you're on the mend. The morning I was getting OFF the Volendam last year was the day my cold started...it lasted for about 3 weeks.

This makes me wonder. I know how fast the turnaround is for disembarkation and embarkation and I wonder if the stewards and their attendents if they have them, spray down the rooms and pillows with something to kill germs? That's my one worry when travelling. Sleeping on a pillow that someone else has sneezed on and someone else sleeping on a pillow that I used if I had a cold.

I know lots of pax take a can of Lysol spray with them and I wonder if it does any good? Anyone know?

Kathy, you know being a nurse, that when those colds hit you, the only thing you can do is what you did...rest, and drink plenty of liquids--especially the "toddies" :)

I'm taking a bunch of DVD movies with me that I haven't seen yet, so that will be my relaxation time. How big are the LCD TVs? I'll be in an "S" suite and can't wait to settle in for 10 wonderful Volendam days!

I hate to wish my life away, but Feb 1st....HURRY!!!!!...and then please DRAAGGGG on. ;)

Archived