Review of Volendam January 2-11, 2006

Kathyh1313

Kathy,

Thanks for the information about immigration at St. Thomas - one more question - did you go through the "non US citizen line" with your DH? Do you think that might be why your experience was quick?

Thanks again.

Lisa

Did you try to e-mail me? Sorry I can't see your e-mail address on your signature - I think I miss out on some of the pictures people add too - I can blame the computer but its probably me.

My work address is garnerla@jmu.edu if you get a minute. I'd love to know the name of the hotel/resort at Eagle beach. Thanks.

Lisa

Kathy,

Thanks for the information about immigration at St. Thomas - one more question - did you go through the "non US citizen line" with your DH? Do you think that might be why your experience was quick?

Thanks again.

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

You're welcome.

No, I did not go through the non US citizen line in St Thomas. That was the only time I couldn't go with him. US Citizens had immigration in the Hudson Room next to the Explorations Cafe and Non US citizens had immigration in the Frans Hals Lounge. I got back to the cabin a few minutes before DH and I had stopped to cash some travelers checks at the Pursers Desk before returning to the cabin.

Happy cruising, Kathy

Great review Kathy, thank you. Glad you're on the mend. The morning I was getting OFF the Volendam last year was the day my cold started...it lasted for about 3 weeks.

This makes me wonder. I know how fast the turnaround is for disembarkation and embarkation and I wonder if the stewards and their attendents if they have them, spray down the rooms and pillows with something to kill germs? That's my one worry when travelling. Sleeping on a pillow that someone else has sneezed on and someone else sleeping on a pillow that I used if I had a cold.

I know lots of pax take a can of Lysol spray with them and I wonder if it does any good? Kathy, you know being a nurse, that when those colds hit you, the only thing you can do is what you did...rest, and drink plenty of liquids--especially the "toddies"

I'm taking a bunch of DVD movies with me that I haven't seen yet, so that will be my relaxation time. How big are the LCD TVs?

Hi Honey,

Not sure if the lysol works, although lots of people swear by it. Handwashing is the best way to prevent the spread of cold viruses. I had a small bottle of Purell with me at all times as well as another in the cabin. There are purell dispensers all over the ship, at the start of the buffet lines and in the dining room there was a gentleman standing there dispensing Purell to every patron. I am sure the sheets and things must be washed with bleach, which kills all bacteria and viruses.

The flat screen TV in the veranda suites I think was 19 in, not sure about the S suites though.

Yes, plenty of rest, fluids, toddies etc. I am finally better almost a month later! Longest I have ever had a cold!

Enjoy your cruise, Kathy

Kathy -thanks again for the great review! I'll be on the Volendam on March 23 and can HARDLY WAIT.

I started getting sick 2 days after my last cruise ended on January 7 - two weeks later I am still coughing and a little sniffly! Sounds like I still have another week or so to go before I get better. At least I was not sick on the cruise (like some of the people in my group). I was using Airborne before and during the cruise, but stopped at the end of the cruise. Was it a coincidence that I probably caught something on the plane home?

Kathy,

i thought of another question. how's the temp in the dining room/public rooms? i have needed a sweater several times since the AC was running on high. nothing like shivering through dinner.

tia

michelle

Hi Michelle,

I found the temperature to be most comfortable most everywhere on this ship. I am usually freezing and always take a sweater or blazer. However, I did not need to wear one. DH and I were in the lower dining room and I was also fine temperature wise. Same for the show lounge and other public rooms. I even commented to DH that I can't believe how comfortable I was, I am used to having frozen fingers especially in air conditioning.

I would still take a sweater with me, being chilly is so uncomfortable.

Enjoy your cruise, Kathy

Kathy -thanks again for the great review! I'll be on the Volendam on March 23 and can HARDLY WAIT.

I started getting sick 2 days after my last cruise ended on January 7 - two weeks later I am still coughing and a little sniffly! Sounds like I still have another week or so to go before I get better. At least I was not sick on the cruise (like some of the people in my group). I was using Airborne before and during the cruise, but stopped at the end of the cruise. Was it a coincidence that I probably caught something on the plane home?

Verna,

You are welcome. I loved the cruise and am beginning to explore my next cruise options.

I have never used Airborne and really don't know anything about it. Airplanes are notorious for germs spreading. Such close confinement and people touch everything and other than the tiny restrooms, no place to wash their hands.

Yes, the colds this year are stubborn. I hope you feel better soon. One month to the day mine started, I am finally "sniffle free" :)

Enjoy the Volendam, Kathy

Kathy,

you have been a great resource in getting ready. I will take a sweater anyway but you're right I don't like frozen fingers either. I usually get hot tea with dessert and hold the cup tight.

I have heard about airborne and may have to try it. I had my cold in november and i was 3 weeks getting rid of it. glad to hear you're feeling better now.

good luck finding your next destination(s). it is fun looking.

michelle

DH and I swear by Airborne and lots of purell. Last year I had to take chemo in the winter months - I was scared to death of getting a cold because if you have cold/temp you do not get your treatment and that can ruin the whole program.... I did not get a cold until the end of treatments and I think it was because I finally let my guard down. Now we seem to bathe in purell!! LOL

Airborne works even if you start to get a cold but it does seem that the minute you stop using it, the cold is right back. It is best to use it with the first sniffle or if you are around folks with a bad cold as a prevention.

Its funny you said Hunky Dory is in the Lido, he was on the Zuiderdam last March when I sailed on her, we thought he was an absolute delight. I am thrilled to know he's on the Volendam, my nieces and nephews will enjoy him.

We just got off the Volendam last week and the fellow in the Lido is not the Hunky Dory from the Zuiderdam. I went back to Candy's picture that she had posted of him some time ago and it's definitely not him.

In fact, I found him a little annoying to be quite honest.

Toni

Not sure if you know, but is the ship time the same or different as the time in the ports? I know on some cruise lines the ship will stay on EST (or such) while the ports local time may be 1 hour off. We are doing some private scuba excursions and are set to meet people at a certain time and want to be sure we know what local time is.

Thanks.

Not sure if you know, but is the ship time the same or different as the time in the ports? I know on some cruise lines the ship will stay on EST (or such) while the ports local time may be 1 hour off. We are doing some private scuba excursions and are set to meet people at a certain time and want to be sure we know what local time is.

Thanks.

Ship time is adjusted to port time on HAL ships. :)

I lived in St Thomas for 7 years 40 years ago, and can't picture Crown Bay. Is this the old "sub base" from the war years? It's the only deep dock I can think of unless they've done some digging since I lived there.Havensite wasn't even there back in the 60s. It was the West India Dock next to Yacht Haven. Anyone?

Also, an observation about Dominica. We were there for a week in '68, stayed in Rouseau but drove all over the island. It is not a simple drive to get back to Rouseau, so I imagine the ship used to pick up the excursion people to save time, their not having to drive back to Rouseau. The itineraries that still show Cabrits show it as a one hour stop only, so that makes sense.

Pick and I are on the February 11 Volendam sailing and your review is great source of information. Thanks for taking the time and effort to craft it. You may want to think about quitting your day job.

You are welcome, Sparky. I truly enjoyed reliving our cruise through writing the review and answering peoples questions. Just doing my part to help society! LOL

As to quitting my day job, NEVER! I love being a nurse manager. Although a sideline as a cruise reviewer works!

Happy cruising, Kathy

Flashdog,

I do believe that I have heard Crown Bay being referred to as the old sub base. It is on the opposite side of town from Havensight. Town is in the middle. I actually like Havensight docking the best because I like to shop there. It is so much more relaxing than downtown. But, if we dock in Crown Bay it makes more sense to go downtown than all the way to Havensight.

Kathy - We are leaving for this wonderful cruise on 3/03. Can't wait. I have a question about dinners. Do you remember which type/dress each night? For instance, is Dominica formal/informal/ casual? We are planning a dinner in the special restaurant and want to be sure it is not one of the formal nights. We have cruised many times and look forward to our special night. Thanks for your help and the wonderful review. Sue

Thanks for your review! Our travel agent had just called this morning to tell us that early this morning HAL FINALLY posted it's 10 day Panama Canal cruises for January 2007. We had booked on Princess but had wanted HAL. I don't have much vacation and HAL had only listed very long cruises up until this morning. We are cancelling the Princess cruise and booking on the Volendam for January 12, 2007 - Deluxe Veranda Suite. We are so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure I will have questions and see you will have the answers. Thanks again

Sue

We were on the January 22 Volendam cruise. I have a tendency to be chilly and I found the temperature throughout the ship to be comfortable. I wore a bare shoulder gown one of the formal nights and I didn't bother with the wrap I had brought. Didn't need it.

The new flat screen tv's in the Suites are wonderful. We really enjoyed ours. I didn't measure the screen but would say it is at least 19".

We had a great time on Volendam. Hope you do , too.

I had to scroll back to your first post to re-read your demographics.

I visited with a couple on the Maasdam this passed summer who could have been your demographic doubles, except that He was a previous HAL employee and she had been a nurse on HAL ships. Everything else was like deja-vu including the ages, WOW!

She is now an ICU nurse in Boston, don't remember the hospital, and I should know because I grew up there and went to BI's diploma program.

Anyway, I just had to mention this, Thanks for your great review.

Grannynurse

Kathy - We are leaving for this wonderful cruise on 3/03. Can't wait. I have a question about dinners. Do you remember which type/dress each night? For instance, is Dominica formal/informal/ casual? We are planning a dinner in the special restaurant and want to be sure it is not one of the formal nights. We have cruised many times and look forward to our special night. Thanks for your help and the wonderful review. Sue

I'm not Kathy, who did the super fantastic review, but I was on the Volendam on Jan 2-12. The dress for the Dominica night is casual. The formal nights are on Days 2, 6, and 9, when we are at sea.

Chris

I had to scroll back to your first post to re-read your demographics.

I visited with a couple on the Maasdam this passed summer who could have been your demographic doubles, except that He was a previous HAL employee and she had been a nurse on HAL ships. Everything else was like deja-vu including the ages, WOW!

She is now an ICU nurse in Boston, don't remember the hospital, and I should know because I grew up there and went to BI's diploma program.

Anyway, I just had to mention this, Thanks for your great review.

Grannynurse

Hi Grannynurse,

Small world, I have been a BI nurse for 19 years!

Glad you enjoyed the review.

Happy cruising, Kathy

Archived