Caution when booking flights with Carnival

mjwandssw

We just got our documents for our 12th cruise. This one sails out of san juan in early Feb. The Documents included our flights that we purchased through Carnival. I have never been so disapointed in a company as I am with Carnival over this situation. when I purchased my cruise the pricing of booking our flights on our own vs. through Carnival was a wash so I decided to listen to our Carnival booking agent and buy them as a package. Not only are our flight schedules terrible, but the Attitude I recieved from Carnival is totally unacceptable. When calling to see if anything can be done to correct our flights, you get one of two responses: no, or someone almost in my face on how it is my problem. It even comes from people who are considered "Supervisors".

this is our 5th cruise with Carnival, and it will be our last!

Sorry for your bad experience. I would say it's a lesson learned....the hard way. Carnival is a cruise company and not the best at booking air. I learned my lesson a long time ago. I only travel now with flights I book my own self.

I hope your cruise is much better than your air schedule. :D

If you want control of your flights you should always book your own. Once carnival books them they are stuck with the same change rules that you have to deal with, in other words no changes without a substantial fee.

We just got our documents for our 12th cruise. This one sails out of san juan in early Feb. The Documents included our flights that we purchased through Carnival. I have never been so disapointed in a company as I am with Carnival over this situation. when I purchased my cruise the pricing of booking our flights on our own vs. through Carnival was a wash so I decided to listen to our Carnival booking agent and buy them as a package. Not only are our flight schedules terrible, but the Attitude I recieved from Carnival is totally unacceptable. When calling to see if anything can be done to correct our flights, you get one of two responses: no, or someone almost in my face on how it is my problem. It even comes from people who are considered "Supervisors".

this is our 5th cruise with Carnival, and it will be our last!

This has always been a concern when we book through Carnival. Can/will you share your information? Is it inconvenient times? Multiple connections? What is your concern?

I guess we have been lucky...

Last year we went to San Juan and sailed on the Destiny. Carnival had the best air cost - by far - so we booked it all though them. One connection in Atlanta on the way down and a direct flight on the way home. Both were reasonable times - we got into San Juan and on the boat a little later than I would have preferred - but it was fine.

This year we are out of Miami and have gotten direct flights both ways with very good times -so I can not complain.

But I have always been concerned that they would send us to our port by using multiple connections to get the cheapest rates- but it has not been the case.

I wish you the best and hope that your trip is outstanding regardless of the air arrangements.

I guess I want to clear up what what my concerns are... not only do I have a problem getting off the ship in san juan at 10:00am and not arriving home in Indiana till the next day at 1:30 am, but it was the absolute lack of caring that i recieved from Carnival. I never got one I'm sorry... just a bunch of lip service, and many times they wouldnt let me finish what I was saying. I really mean this when I say it, but if I were to have gotten an I'm sorry when I called with my initial call or for any of my many calls to Carnival on this I'd not be so upset. However, Carnival has lost a customer.

Cruise lines, Carnival included, offer air programs to get you to and form their ships. Period.

There is no profit in flights anymore, and if they could avoid having to have an air department all together, they would.

Pretty much all cruise lines, Carnival included, will advise that your flight itinerary details will be released roughly 3-5 weeks prior to departure. This includes carrier, timing, routing etc.

Specific flight requests can be accommodated through their air programs, I trust your cruise TA advised you of all of these details. If you booked directly with Carnival, maybe that was your first mistake.

To lock in a preferred air itinarary and not just accept whatever is provided requires an air deviation. The managerial fee charged by most cruise lines to do this is $50 per person plus any additional cost to the flights themselves that may be incurred. This is best done early as the longer you wait the more the additional cost will be for the seats you prefer.

Good luck.

I guess I want to clear up what what my concerns are... not only do I have a problem getting off the ship in san juan at 10:00am and not arriving home in Indiana till the next day at 1:30 am, but it was the absolute lack of caring that i recieved from Carnival. I never got one I'm sorry... just a bunch of lip service, and many times they wouldnt let me finish what I was saying. I really mean this when I say it, but if I were to have gotten an I'm sorry when I called with my initial call or for any of my many calls to Carnival on this I'd not be so upset. However, Carnival has lost a customer.

Do you stay in San Juan - or are you delayed somewhere else? Did they notify you that you needed overnight accomodations - or is that taken care of by Carnival, too? :confused:

To be honest this is the first I have heard of returning home the day after the end of the cruise. I have heard of awful flight times that get cruisers back very late - but never the next day :eek: unless it is by choice and they have used the air deviation programs described in the other post.

Just out of curiosity.....did you book through a TA, Carnival directly, on on-line service, or some other way?

I really hope you can get it settled to your satisfaction - but when you do not choose the air deviation - or to book your own - you are somewhat at their mercy. Good luck :cool:

We dont leave the day after the sailing... we just get home then. due to layovers and crappy flight times! But again, as carnival reminded me several times... they never promised me anything other than getting me back home.

Carnival is not the only cruise line that does this.

If you go over to the Royal Caribbean board, you will see the same complaint.

Bottom line: book your own airfare no matter what cruiseline you are on!

It's a profit making business and their goal is to get you the flight that is the cheapest for them, not the most convenient for you.

Live and learn.

As a TA, I think the BEST advice I can give my clients is to either let me (as their personal travel agent) to book their airfare for them outside of the cruise line (and if any TA's are reading this right now, you will know that we DO NOT make any commissions from airlines...we do it totally as a courtesy to our clients). Otherwise, I will let my clients book their own airfare....it's their choice.

Also, as a cruiser myself, I always book my own airfare regardless of whether or not the cruise line can "beat the price".....exactly because of what was posted prior....(1) you pay for one thing, then get your doc's and realize it's totally different, and (2) If I book it myself, I can decide when/where/how/at what time I want to arrive, depart, stay over pre or post, etc.

Someone also said "the cruise line specializes in cruises, not air." I totally agree. Why leave the responsibility in the hands of someone that doesn't specialize in that area?

Just my 2 cents. I'm sure I rattled some feathers now...... :eek:

It's not just Carnival. Book air with any cruise line and you will get the same horrible times and schedules. I learned the hard way. Experienced cruisers know not to book air with the cruise lines. Can usually get better prices, flight times and schedules on your own.

Not to book Carnival again just because of this is silly.

Geez. If the price was a wash, I would have booked my own air. This way I could have gotten what I wanted.

I don't buy insurance through any cruise line either.

Carnival provides the cruise.

Good luck punishing them. You will find you are only punishing yourself.

And of course I'm sure you are flying in the day of the sailing.....:rolleyes:

this is our 12th cruise so I unserstood the risks of booking my flights with the cruise line (there are additional personal family reasons this needed to be done that are unrelated to this story) several of you brought up deviation... I inquired about it and found out there is an option there for $128pp; however, I was also told by Carnivals Air and Sea that this $128 Deviation fee would be waived if we (did I mention we have a group of 5 couples) came in the day before and booked a hotel package with them... assuming there are packages available. So I again called my Carnival rep (booked 3 cruises with him), confirmed this info as it related to our cruise, got info on the hotel etc. spoke with all of the other couples, called carnival to book of all this and was told (12 hours later) on this call with my carnival rep, that this isnt an option since this package was sold out, and had been for many weeks.

That is when I lost it, he didnt make sure there was space available on this particular date when we spoke on it the first time. In addition the absolutely rude behavior I recieved from two of the "supervisors" of his when addressing this issue was beyond belief.

Bitten once, twice shy... trust me, my leg work now it to just warn people about the risks of booking with Carnival direct. But as I was told by one of the Supervisors at Carnival when I mentioned I'd never sail with Carnival again: "That is certainly your right!"

Again never an appology... just a bunch of reason and loop hols of why this is my problem.

MJ- did you get seat assignments??? Many people have written about seats being far apart from eachother..please check that area too.

with that all being said- I know you are upset but since there seems to be nothing you can do about it may I suggest that you forget this.

Stuff like this will make the cruise seem horrible and nothing will go right. (coz it will seem that way) You have a bad taste of Carnival and hate it already...that will only fester as time comes for your trip.

I hate to see you have a cruise from hell because of your flights.

I think some people book "cruise air" due to the belief that the cruise will "hold the ship" for them if the flight is late, or will pay to fly them to the next port. This is a small benefit, however, because you can easily fly in the day before and eliminate the late flight issue.

A lot has to do with where you are flying from... if you are in a smaller airport with limited flights, there is a lot more than if you are flying from a major city with lots of flights. The time of year is an issue too, for example winter in the snow belt or during Hurricane season weather delays can happen.

In my opinion, Carnival should have directly discussed the flight alternatives with you. If there was a better schedule with available seats, they should have offered to book you on it as long as you would agree to pay any additional costs. For example, if you booked a $500 airfare and Carnival re-books you on a $600 itinerary with a $50 change fee, you would have to pay an extra $150. This would be very fair in my opinion and if they did not offer you this arrangement, there is no excuse.

On the other hand, if you simply want better flight times without paying any extra cost, I don't think this is reasonable at all. You take your chances with the schedule with cruise air and they do not make promises about the schedule. If you don't get a lucky roll of the dice, you lose, that's the game.

MJ- did you get seat assignments??? Many people have written about seats being far apart from eachother..please check that area too.

with that all being said- I know you are upset but since there seems to be nothing you can do about it may I suggest that you forget this.

Stuff like this will make the cruise seem horrible and nothing will go right. (coz it will seem that way) You have a bad taste of Carnival and hate it already...that will only fester as time comes for your trip.

I hate to see you have a cruise from hell because of your flights.

Thank you, I appreciate your kind words; believe me when I say this, it will not get in my way of having too much fun!

thank YOU for not thinking I was flamming you--coz I amnot. I jsut know that disappointments can eb and flow and once a disappointment sets it... things are fine.. But if allowed that disappointment can ruin other things.

No matter what cruiselines you chose next time--PLEASE do your own air. It jsut isnt worth it--even for that peace of mind.

As a TA, I think the BEST advice I can give my clients is to either let me (as their personal travel agent) to book their airfare for them outside of the cruise line (and if any TA's are reading this right now, you will know that we DO NOT make any commissions from airlines...we do it totally as a courtesy to our clients). Otherwise, I will let my clients book their own airfare....it's their choice.

Also, as a cruiser myself, I always book my own airfare regardless of whether or not the cruise line can "beat the price".....exactly because of what was posted prior....(1) you pay for one thing, then get your doc's and realize it's totally different, and (2) If I book it myself, I can decide when/where/how/at what time I want to arrive, depart, stay over pre or post, etc.

Someone also said "the cruise line specializes in cruises, not air." I totally agree. Why leave the responsibility in the hands of someone that doesn't specialize in that area?

Just my 2 cents. I'm sure I rattled some feathers now...... :eek:

What good advice.

To be honest this is the first I have heard of returning home the day after the end of the cruise. I have heard of awful flight times that get cruisers back very late - but never the next day :eek: unless it is by choice and they have used the air deviation programs described in the other post.

When he says "getting home next day", remember it is 130am, as in the middle of the night. While certainly not enjoyable, I think calling it "next day" is more for dramatic effect LOL.

I agree with the others who say not to bypass Carnival in the future over this. Air arrangements are always a crapshoot, especially to places that don't have a million flights a day, like SJU. The cruise line can't book your flights until after your final payment is due, otherwise they risk being stuck should you cancel before your penalty phase.

You're an experienced cruiser who obviously knows what you like, and you have sailed Carnival multiple times. I wouldn't let bad air arrangements, or a less than stellar phone agent, stop me from taking a vacation I enjoy again in the future.

Last Spring we did an NCL Hawaiian-Fanning Island Cruise. Purchased air through NCL (although usually do it on our own). Our flight home didn't leave till after 6 PM so we were able to do an NCL shore excursion to Pearl Harbor, USS Missouri, etc. before being transferred to the airport. We were very pleased that our flight time was late or we would have gone all that way and not seen Pearl Harbor. That's probably why you were scheduled on a later flight so you could do a shore excursion in San Juan.

Archived