Hurricane, the Drink

cjmayes51

Lived in the New Orleans area for a number of years. Fell in love with the iconic drink, 

Hurricane from Pat O’Brien’s. We will be on Celebrity Reflection soon and wondered if any bar can make this drink. Anyone recently on a Celebrity ship that had this drink?

if somwhich bar did you get this from.  Charlie

• Like 1

Interested in the answers as well.  As you can see I'm just about an hour from New Orleans and I may or may not have consumed a few of these at Pat O'Brien's in my day.  Yummy and you have no idea how strong until you stand up ha ha ha.   

I've had other drinks other places that claim to be hurricanes.  I've yet to agree that they are.  

If you know what's in a drink they will usually try to make whatever you want.  I order painkillers which are not on any of the drink menus.  Sometimes I need to tell the bartender the recipe sometimes they know it. 

I have ordered Hurricanes  in the Oceanview Bar and the Sunset Bar. Got two different drinks.  Some bartenders are really friendly and willing to mix according to your recipe. There was a fun couple on Silhouette who made the pool bar their home away from home. They'd ask the bartender to mix various concoctions and he'd oblige. Occasionally, I'd ask him to mix up one of their specials for me too. 

3 hours ago, Marelaine said:

I have ordered Hurricanes  in the Oceanview Bar and the Sunset Bar. Got two different drinks.  Some bartenders are really friendly and willing to mix according to your recipe. There was a fun couple on Silhouette who made the pool bar their home away from home. They'd ask the bartender to mix various concoctions and he'd oblige. Occasionally, I'd ask him to mix up one of their specials for me too. 

The variability of the drinks is mainly due to them free pouring.  If they took the extra 30 seconds and actually measured the various ingrediants they would waste a lot less.  I've thrown away way more drinks than I should have due to sloppy bartenders on ships.  One of the reasons I like the World Class Bar.  Those drinks are the same every time you get them.

There are many pretenders but only one true Hurricane and like you said cjmayes51, it is found at Pat O'Brien's on Saint Peter's Street in the French Quarter. They use 6 different fresh fruit juices and three different types of quality rum in each drink. Most other bars/bartenders will use a fruit punch similar to Hawaiian Punch and one type of rum. There are also other subtle ingredients in a real Hurricane. IMPORTANT NOTE: If you ever have a Hurricane at Pat O'Brien's remember, no matter how great it taste or how good you feel, never never never order a second one. Trust me!!!

Jack

• Like 1