Breakfast and Lunch in main dining room

Marie50

39 minutes ago, Marie50 said:

Can you tell me what is the required dress if you chose to have breakfast or lunch in the main dining?  Just wondering if shorts and sandles are allowed for men and women.

Shorts and sandals are generally fine for men and women, but think Resort attire, not beachwear (i.e no flip flops).

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

Shorts and sandals are generally fine for men and women, but think Resort attire, not beachwear (i.e no flip flops).

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

Sounds about right.  A wonderful place for lunch on sea days.   Usually sleep right thru breakfast. 

We always have breakfast and maybe lunch in the GDR on sea days, and also on port days if we aren't going to arrive early.  If a tour day and we arrive early, breakfast in the room.  (When we downsized to a B1 a couple of years ago we were quite happy with service in Terrace on tour days.)

Dress requirements in the GDR for breakfast and lunch are reduced.  And while leisurely, the meal is lovely.

As to lunch, I will express a reservation in that we were unimpressed with the "new menus" in GDR on Riviera last May (2018).  Not that we couldn't find something we wanted to eat (!), we just found far fewer choices.  It may have changed by now, but from what I have read here ... I don't think so.  Terrace is always a good alternative, as is Waves -- for lunch.

Let me be clear.  If it's a port day and we have to leave early, we order into our suite for breakfast.  If it's a sea day, we go to the GDR.  (My mother introduced us to the GDR breakfast and while I often disagreed with her, we came to think she was right on target.  A lovely leisurely breakfast.  Emphasize leisurely!)  But then there are the lovely lamb chops and smoked salmon and kippers and ... all sorts of things!  If you like omelets I suggest you specify whether you want them "soft" (as I do).  Otherwise they will be cooked a bit more.

If we come back from a tour too late for lunch in either GDR (most likely since it closes at 1:30) or Terrace (which closes at 2), then we go to Waves.  No complaints there.  And if we are even later than that, there is room service.  It's hard to starve on an Oceania ship.  Besides, you have had all those meals before ... You won't "starve" until the next meal appears ...

Mura

• Like 1