Question for Current Infinite Veranda Passengers

Loracpin2

First, thanks to everyone who has been posting on the current Edge threads.  For those of you who are in an IV, would you book that cabin type again? We were so happy to get a fantastic IV group rate from our TA for January 2020, but now based on many of your comments, am definitely re-thinking our decision.  Thanks in advance for your input.

We’re an IV cabin at this very moment. I would absolutely book it again on a

cold-weather cruise. On a Caribbean cruise, I’d prefer a real balcony where I can step outside and feel like I’m truly outdoors. You never get that sense on the IV. Plus the thing is so darn small. It’s crammed full of furniture that you have to move every time you step into or out of that area. 

On the positive side, it is really nice having the large window - lets a ton of sunlight into the room. But these cabins are much more like an oceanview cabin with a picture window that opens than a true balcony cabin. 

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ohhbother said:

cold-weather cruise. On a Caribbean cruise, I’d prefer a real balcony where I can step outside and feel like I’m truly outdoors. You never get that sense on the IV. Plus the thing is so darn small. It’s crammed full of furniture that you have to move every time you step into or out of that area. 

On the positive side, it is really nice having the large window - lets a ton of sunlight into the room. But these cabins are much more like an oceanview cabin with a picture window that opens than a true balcony cabin. 

Hope that helps!

Yes, it does!!! Thanks

14 hours ago, ohhbother said:

Hope that helps!

I'm most concerned about the Captain closing the windows while in or leaving ports.  Have you experienced the Captain overriding your window control?

27 minutes ago, cricketts said:

I'm most concerned about the Captain closing the windows while in or leaving ports.  Have you experienced the Captain overriding your window control?

Yes, the Captain closed the window and locked the system on our cruise for a brief period.

4 hours ago, Oville said:

Yes, the Captain closed the window and locked the system on our cruise for a brief period.

If you were there at the time was there a warning light or buzzer or does it just close?

I know that there are sensors so that when YOU raise or lower... if a limb is in the way it stops. I assume that would be the same when Captain does it... but then you wonder if he gets a signal say cabin z an y's windows are still open?

1 hour ago, hcat said:

If you were there at the time was there a warning light or buzzer or does it just close?

We had stepped out for a couple of minutes.  Our window was opened about 3 inches and was closed when we returned.  We saw the message on the control panel.

• Thanks 1

We loved the *idea and concept* of the infinite veranda, but we really didn't like it in person. 

A few reasons:

1. The window lowers from the top. It recesses behind the existing bottom panel giving you two panes of tinted glass to look through if you're sitting on the balcony. It was kind of hard to see through and it felt like I was underwater. I didn't get a breeze and didn't get to really look out without an obstructed view (both panels, with water spots and tinted). 
  2. It was impossible to sneak outside because the shades are electronic and have to come all the way up. Kinda noisy and there's no sneaking. :classic_cool:
  3. It seemed more like an extension of the room, not a balcony. We couldn't get the real feel of the breeze -- it just felt like we were in a fishbowl. 

We will definitely try something different next time. 

But everyone's different and what we didn't like might just be up someone else's alley! 940076562_Ce5VSBU2SdKbgxqOmBKCQ.thumb.jpg.2ae643c8d0273f1a0907f5ab01f38473.jpg
ABOVE: Without any glass (I took the pic out the balcony with the window down).qQz1ZPB9TriMhFDN0KKVSA.thumb.jpg.401d729b0faffec9cffe36a5a20199fa.jpg

ABOVE: Through both windows (upper window lowered down behind the lower window). This is what the view looked like to me as I sat on the balcony with the upper window open.

NhoGuR1QTZWABI9cFhKXeA.jpg

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ldyluck said:

We loved the *idea and concept* of the infinite veranda, but we really didn't like it in person. 

A few reasons:

1. The window lowers from the top. It recesses behind the existing bottom panel giving you two panes of tinted glass to look through if you're sitting on the balcony. It was kind of hard to see through and it felt like I was underwater. I didn't get a breeze and didn't get to really look out without an obstructed view (both panels, with water spots and tinted). 
  2. It was impossible to sneak outside because the shades are electronic and have to come all the way up. Kinda noisy and there's no sneaking. :classic_cool:
  3. It seemed more like an extension of the room, not a balcony. We couldn't get the real feel of the breeze -- it just felt like we were in a fishbowl. 

We will definitely try something different next time. 

But everyone's different and what we didn't like might just be up someone else's alley! 940076562_Ce5VSBU2SdKbgxqOmBKCQ.thumb.jpg.2ae643c8d0273f1a0907f5ab01f38473.jpg
ABOVE: Without any glass (I took the pic out the balcony with the window down).qQz1ZPB9TriMhFDN0KKVSA.thumb.jpg.401d729b0faffec9cffe36a5a20199fa.jpg

ABOVE: Through both windows (upper window lowered down behind the lower window). This is what the view looked like to me as I sat on the balcony with the upper window open.

NhoGuR1QTZWABI9cFhKXeA.jpg

Thanks for some great input!!

• Like 1

On 12/3/2018 at 9:54 PM, ohhbother said:

Hope that helps!

Looking at the pictures/videos this is what I suspected so it's nice to have confirmation from someone who has actually sailed in an IV cabin.  When I'm on a cruise I like to spend a lot of time outside on the balcony and an IV just wouldn't cut it.  I hope RCI doesn't go all in with IV cabins on the new Icon class but I suppose either way their are plenty of ships out there with balconies for me to sail on.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2018 at 9:54 PM, ohhbother said:

Hope that helps!

We are debating keeping our IV or moving to a traditional balcony for our February Edge cruise. Coming from a cold weather climate, we enjoy the warmth, breeze, and sounds while sitting on a cabin balcony. If the IV only acts as a window, and those other elements are removed, then indeed it is more like an oceanview stateroom with a window that opens. If I have to go to the open decks for that "outside" feeling, then I give up the whole point of the balcony for us - the privacy and quiet of a balcony cabin! It will be interesting to watch the reviews come in over the next few weeks.

9 minutes ago, ckck said:

We are debating keeping our IV or moving to a traditional balcony for our February Edge cruise. Coming from a cold weather climate, we enjoy the warmth, breeze, and sounds while sitting on a cabin balcony. If the IV only acts as a window, and those other elements are removed, then indeed it is more like an oceanview stateroom with a window that opens. If I have to go to the open decks for that "outside" feeling, then I give up the whole point of the balcony for us - the privacy and quiet of a balcony cabin! It will be interesting to watch the reviews come in over the next few weeks.

We had the same concern and tried moving... Celebrity would not move us without repricing - bottom line is it would cost us about $2000 more!!  Not happy with Celebrity 😞

Other than suites, a few hull balconies and the Sunset Verandas...there are no other places to move to

..Maybe try something else next time. APEX may have  good intro prices.... but we are passing on it for now

We had an IV cabin on deck 8 for the December 1st sailing and would not book one again. As others have mentioned, we enjoyed the large window, but missed the feeling of actually being outside. The IV is so small that it can not be used comfortably, especially with the need to move the furniture to enter and exit. In our opinion the IV cabins are really ocean view cabins with an operable window.

Regardless of the IV, we had a WONDERFUL time on the Edge and it did not in anyway negatively impact our enjoyment of this spectacular ship. We will definitely cruise on her again in a cabin with a traditional balcony. IMG_1465.thumb.JPG.3ba8410ed11d77431e4c424ebe878414.JPG

• Thanks 1

Excellent picture of an IV - thanks rojocruiser.  I am so glad we booked a SV.  Like some others, I think an IV would be a good idea in Alaska or a TA, but for the majority of cruises I would not be happy!    

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cricketts said:

We had the same concern and tried moving... Celebrity would not move us without repricing - bottom line is it would cost us about $2000 more!!  Not happy with Celebrity 😞

Our cruise is a year out. If we decide to move and Celebrity re-price's, we will cancel.  

• 1 month later...

I am an avid cruiser and have sailed on many Celebrity cruises.  Regarding the Edge and the infinite veranda, I will definitely go out of my way to avoid it.  I like the flexibility that a conventional veranda cabin affords me.  If I want to go outside to read or catch a sunset while my wife gets ready for dinner or catches a nap, I can do so with the conventional Veranda cabin.  In a Virtual cabin, the air conditioning goes off (to my understanding) while the window is open, filling the room with warm air and light.  So, it's either all or nothing with the virtual veranda.  In a conventional arrangement, the wife gets to nap in air conditioning and limited light. It's also my understanding that the ship can lock the window for safety reasons or something as simple as maintenance .  Also, I was wondering if the IV design has any way to deal with the "wind tunnel" effect if the window is open and someone opens the door to the passageway?. I like choices and I think that Celebrity has limited our choices with this design.  Maybe I'm a traditionalist, but count me out for this "innovation". 

Edited by getawayfromitall

Many of us have said the IV cabins will be good for colder climates, with the protected balcony / window set up

Today I thought about that some more.  I don't think EDGE  will be well suited to cold weather.  The Solarium pool is small with 1 hot tub, I believe, and all the outdoor areas will be fairly chilly,  That leaves the indoor spaces which have been  reported to be crowded at peak bar/ lounge  times.  

Time will tell, perhaps Eden and the Club will be enough for indoor activity,

Just some thoughts