Secrets of the Edge

vtcruising

31 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

beachbunny, so good to hear from you!  I've been thinking about you.  How are you doing? I hope you are doing okay, in spite of your injuries (with your stoic attitude, I'm sure you wouldn't say much anyway).  Are you using Mederma on your scars? It seems to help. ❤️

Here is the place she fell, so that people can watch out for this area (left of platform- tripped on part that protrudes, I believe).

image.thumb.png.4bacb8b5869cb81e65bb98bc82bb657b.png

Hi, Marilyn.  I have been following the thread via the emails I get notifying me of new posts, but I have not been here at CC for some time.  I am having real problems with being one-handed, too.  Typing is very difficult, so I have stayed away, since as you know, I am prone to commenting profusely.  I am frustrated and still in pain, so am not very good company.  My birthday was awful, and I have been having a full-blown pity-party as a result of all this.  I wish I had better memories of my much-anticipated Edge voyage. :classic_sad:  

You are correct that that is the area where I tripped and fell.  Looking at the photo you posted above, I note that there is supposed to be lighting around the base of that platform thing.  I do not recall seeing lighting there, but even if it was, you can see how the layer that is protruding out is not lighted well, and because it is so dark, and when there are so many people around that area, it is difficult to see.  You just don't expect the bottom of something to stick out farther than the top.  Sorry for being repetitive.

Anyway, thanks for the good words. You always have a great, positive attitude, and I appreciate it.  I need all the positive I can get right now.  

7 minutes ago, beachbunny6 said:

You are correct that that is the area where I tripped and fell.  Looking at the photo you posted above, I note that there is supposed to be lighting around the base of that platform thing.  I do not recall seeing lighting there, but even if it was, you can see how the layer that is protruding out is not lighted well, and because it is so dark, and when there are so many people around that area, it is difficult to see.  You just don't expect the bottom of something to stick out farther than the top.  Sorry for being repetitive.

You're absolutely correct, and that photo proves how poorly designed it is, especially since it is the main path out if you're coming down from upstairs, with the chairs across from it so you have to walk through that narrow path. I'm not sure if you've contacted an attorney but that photo would be great evidence of poor planning on Celebrity's part.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Caymus88 said:

This could be a secret on any ship!

Several people on board complained ( as I did) about IV s obstructed views.

One couple was moved to a concierge suite. Way older than us.

Another couple was given a large future cruise credit . She told us they

cruise 10xs a year.

we have 30 cruises done but only select level on this one.

and I really hate complaining.  Guess I should have caused a ruckus.

So if you have status you get what you want

And I learned the new one today...if you are next to a jut out...the other cabin residents can look in on you! 

I moved from 2 doors away from a jut out , The cabin next to it was re-classified  obstructed  view.. i was thinking about the view out..not someone elses view in...oops!

1 hour ago, beachbunny6 said:

It certainly IS a hazard!  I am still recuperating from the broken arm I sustained in that fall, and will have a really obvious scar on my forehead right above the bridge of my nose, and one about the size of a silver dollar on my elbow, too.  When Eden is crowded with people, as it was at the time of my accident, it is difficult to walk through that area, dodging furniture, people, and that platform.  It is not marked or highlighted at all, and the dark color of it blends into the dark carpeting, making it easy to trip because it is not very visible.  

I was so sorry to hear of your injury,.so close to the end of your cruise! That stage is truly a hazard,.saw a few folks  stumble there even without a crowd,. And it will likely be a climbing game for any kids on board!

Hope you filed a claim with the cruiseline and seek proper advice...esp if scar will be permanent..most of all,  I hope you heal well!

My dh stumbled on the dark (?) base of the crystal sculpture in ths Thermal Suites area,,. No injury but another potential hazard!

too bad  many of these secrets are not positive...but will try to add some of those too!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hcat said:

I was so sorry to hear of your injury,.so close to the end of your cruise! That stage is truly a hazard,.saw a few folks  stumble there even without a crowd,. And it will likely be a climbing game for any kids on board!

Hope you filed a claim with the cruiseline and seek proper advice...esp if scar will be permanent..most of all,  I hope you heal well!

My dh stumbled on the dark (?) base of the crystal sculpture in ths Thermal Suites area,,. No injury but another potential hazard!

too bad  many of these secrets are not positive...but will try to add some of those too!

Thank you for the caring comments. I appreciate them!

31 minutes ago, beachbunny6 said:

Hi, Marilyn.  I have been following the thread via the emails I get notifying me of new posts, but I have not been here at CC for some time.  I am having real problems with being one-handed, too.  Typing is very difficult, so I have stayed away, since as you know, I am prone to commenting profusely.  I am frustrated and still in pain, so am not very good company.  My birthday was awful, and I have been having a full-blown pity-party as a result of all this.  I wish I had better memories of my much-anticipated Edge voyage. :classic_sad:  

Anyway, thanks for the good words. You always have a great, positive attitude, and I appreciate it.  I need all the positive I can get right now.  

So sorry that you are still feeling the ill affects of the fall. I can see why you would be having such a hard time since it was your dominant hand - you deserve to have a pity party. I hope that you have some help. Please take it easy and heal and know that your fellow Edgies are sending good thoughts your way....🙂

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Barbara:

I believe this picture was taken just prior to your accident.

image.thumb.png.c6d9206faa269ce548f5251c4ab7d471.png

Wow,  this shows how the seating is set up too close to the part thay sticks out...no clear path for servers or guests that I see..  we will steer clear of it when we return to EDGE and EDEN.

• Like 1

Another thing about the Edge that people might not know is about the availability of sundries. You will find a very limited supply of items in the liquor store, but there is also a more extensive list of other items that I found with the sundries in the liquor store that you can purchase onboard. They are pricey, as they usually are in hotels and on ships, but it is good to know that they are available, if needed.

Here are the items I saw in the liquor store:

sundries.thumb.jpg.f7c0a63dcb4ffd5274bcccc087680b6e.jpg

Here is the sundry list. It says suite number on it - maybe it was initially designed for the suites, but there was a demand from everyone so they now keep this in the liquor store (can see forms above).

image.thumb.png.99bcffb237ff650fea3b85d485b0cd80.png

image.thumb.png.b4128b4ed5a1628dfdc35f70ceeb4113.png

image.thumb.png.a4027afd35edcc4853b699d74f15268c.png

image.thumb.png.b7aea4bed9d8cf7c04b0c26c90a3acb1.png

8 hours ago, hcat said:

And I learned the new one today...if you are next to a jut out...the other cabin residents can look in on you! 

I moved from 2 doors away from a jut out , The cabin next to it was re-classified  obstructed  view.. i was thinking about the view out..not someone elses view in...oops!

What makes some of the IVs obstructed? Is it from being next to a jut out that blocks view in that direction, or other obstructions we haven’t heard about yet?

7 hours ago, DebInAntigua said:

What makes some of the IVs obstructed? Is it from being next to a jut out that blocks view in that direction, or other obstructions we haven’t heard about yet?

The one I referred to was an AQ cabin, deck 10... cabin next to  the  bump out.  We woukd have been bext to that

We moved 1 deck down..same spot..no obstructed  view.  

I am sure other cabins have issues as well..but if you have one in mind you can check the   EDGE Cabin Sticky or use the search feature..

16 hours ago, hcat said:

I think the cabin with the bump out was not the typical one that you see all over the ship. With those, I don't believe that you can see into someone else's cabin unless you have a really long neck. 😉  Here is a side view of a bump out.

image.png.e8095b47174671b38770dce18c56d010.png

I think the cabin that person was talking about was right next to the MC and the S3's jut out with a window on the side. Here is the view from an S3 balcony window - you can see into those cabins next to the bump out.

image.thumb.png.f957697644bd46cc1bd2356352229db3.png

Another view of the S3 balcony windows and their views:

image.thumb.png.41469c477545fc15d8d69e2e68b92dfa.png

That’s exactly where I was.  We also got to look down on the MC daily

And listen to the clanging as I went by my IV window. And raucous music when it landed.

very obstructed views.  When I booked it there was nothing indicating obstruction 

Edited by Caymus88

8 minutes ago, Caymus88 said:

And listen to the clanging as I went by my IV window. And raucous music when it landed.

very obstructed views.  When I booked it there was nothing indicating obstruction 

Thanks for the info. If you want to review your cabin for the Edge Class cabin info stick at the top of the page, it would be wonderful to share that info with future cruisers. The link is below, if you have time  (just copy the template that is in the first post and paste it into a post and add your feedback). What cabin were you in? Thanks!

2 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Thanks for the info. If you want to review your cabin for the Edge Class cabin info stick at the top of the page, it would be wonderful to share that info with future cruisers. The link is below, if you have time  (just copy the template that is in the first post and paste it into a post and add your feedback). What cabin were you in? Thanks!

Don’t know how to copy and paste. Cabin  was 8216

as the frosting on the cake, three of us are sick.

There was coughing and hacking in every venue

We are diligent about hand washing everywhere.

2 hours ago, Caymus88 said:

So sorry that you are sick! Hope you get better soon. Thanks for the cabin number! I will put it in my notes that 8216 is a cabin with obstruction and less privacy.

6 hours ago, Caymus88 said:

Wow..that's really a bad location..did you select it intentionally to get a first hand look at the MC?

Edited by hcat

Caymus

Hope you feel better soon.

We had very bad congestion last night of the  1/27 cruise as did our table neighbors in BLU.  Then we had full blown coughs etc for about 4 days after we got off the ship...glad we were not suffering on board. !  

BTW...never ever saw anyone using the washing trough outside the buffet...and no one was out  there with hand sanitizer..whether it works or not,

3 hours ago, Caymus88 said:

Here is the latest obstructed view list. Your cabin is listed as having a 15% obstructed view.

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/EDGE_Percent_Obstructed_View.pdf

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hcat said:

Caymus

Hope you feel better soon.

We had very bad congestion last night of the  1/27 cruise as did our table neighbors in BLU.  Then we had full blown coughs etc for about 4 days after we got off the ship...glad we were not suffering on board. !  

BTW...never ever saw anyone using the washing trough outside the buffet...and no one was out  there with hand sanitizer..whether it works or not,

We were some of the very few using the trough. They added people with hand sanitizers every day. 2/10 cruise

25 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Here is the latest obstructed view list. Your cabin is listed as having a 15% obstructed view.

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/EDGE_Percent_Obstructed_View.pdf

15 % is optimistic on their part.  The only thing I didn’t have was a tender in front of the IV

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, hcat said:

Wow..that's really a bad location..did you select it intentionally to get a first hand look at the MC?

We had no idea.  

Selected this ship because it was new and had open cabins.

What next.

We could actually look to our left and see onto the balcony jut outs.

Edited by Caymus88

16 hours ago, hcat said:

When we booked it, it was one of two available for the IV cabin. Neither were listed as obstructed view.  We liked the IV concept as it made the room bigger, but in no way is it a balcony.   

On 2/18/2019 at 10:54 AM, cruise47 said:

Can someone please explain the story line?

We stopped in one night after dinner at the Blu and "just to see what it's like." We stayed for four hours! It was such a fabulous time.

We sat up on the second floor -- we didn't know what to expect and didn't want to be involved in the show at all. Believe it or not, after watching for an hour, we were happily surprised to see some of the characters come up to the second level! It was mesmerizing. 

We talked to a couple of the performers and got the gist of the storyline. It's the story of Time. 

Kronos is the big guy, the lead male character. He IS time. There is also Helios (sun goddess) and Luna (moon goddess). They are influenced by time and also influence other characters. There are two characters that I'll call "human" and theirs is a love story. Yet another story is about a set of characters who can only be "alive" when the two human characters are split up. Kronos, while he IS time and is the main character, seems powerless to change the events that are unfolding. He is visibly unhappy when the other characters are alive and thrive on the humans' discord. It's a fascinating story. 

On paper, it's NOTHING we would have been interested in. If I read my own description, I would never have gone to even sample the show. In real life, it's the kind of performance that we will remember for a long, long time. We still talk about it. 

The characters will interact a little or a lot, depending on how you react to them. They are not pushy, they are respectful. Kronos, the lead character, came up to the second level several times. We were always happy to see him and before he left for the last time, he gave us a bow. We were surprised and thrilled. 

I had figured out some of the symbols they made with their hands and when I reciprocated when Helios signed to me, she also gave me a bow and a huge smile. 

It was one of the most interesting experiences I've ever had on a vacation. We are going back to Eden (every night is my guess!) on our transatlantic in November. It really was that good. 

Edited by ldyluck
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1