Wine Delivery to Cunard in Southampton

njguy_south

Has anyone -- particularly from the US -- ever had wine delivered from a store to the ship?  I want to order a half-case of champagne and have it delivered to the ship the day I sail, but I don't have time when I arrive to shop and get to the ship.  Is this doable?  I have email several wine merchants in Southampton, but no responses.

One though it to check into the ship and get rid of my luggage, then get a cab to a store, but it, and return.  Thoughts?

There are bound to be plan C and D.  How are you getting to Southampton?  If you need to taxi to the ship, then pre-order from a shop located conveniently and stop to pick it up enroute to embarkation. 

If you have time to embark and get off again, surely you can do something enroute?  But I did read just today that you can get off once checked in.  Is this soon?  The West Quay shopping Mall is a short walk from City Pier and has a Marks & Spencers with an extensive wine supply.  You can order on line ...or at least see their Champagne options. 

Cunard is generous about its personal liquor allowance, and people here have mentioned bringing about numerous bottles, but I would be a little more reluctant to have it delivered directly to the ship.  Some have said conspicuous volume may be looked at askance...

1 hour ago, mef_57 said:

Some have said conspicuous volume may be looked at askance...

According to Cunard's own disclaimer, only if it appears that you are about to harm yourself. A half case of champagne is far short of that quantity but I'd be more concerned about it arriving safely. I'd much rather have it accompany me onto the ship.

Majestic Wine

Majestic Southampton
Western Esplanade
Southampton
Hampshire
SO15 1QJ

It's just a few blocks from the dock.  They have a very nice selection.  Taking a cab over and doing a little shopping wouldn't be difficult.  We purchased 4 bottles of excellent wine from them for a crossing.  We carried it on board ourselves.  

While they are very accommodating about allowing passengers to carry wine and spirits on board, I doubt they are set up to receive and deliver a case to you.  It may require a little more effort on your part.

• Thanks 1

Njguy, I had exactly the same question you ask. I might add that Costco has a warehouse in Southampton. I see the costco uk website has lots of champagne .

In fact, I was pondering taking a taxi to costco en route to QM2 .

In 2017, I walked to marks and spencer and bought 6 bottles and hand carried them to check in. 

please keep us posted on how this works out

Half a case of Champagne? So far Cunard have been much more tolerant of guests bringing wines and spirits on board, than most other lines. But, remember alcoholic beverages, wine and spirits in particular, are an important source of revenue for them. However, if folks bring large quantities of wine or spirits aboard (because they can save money) it will cut into Cunard's revenue, and the will put a hard fast stop to it. Let's not spoil it for the guest that wants to bring one or two bottles of a favorite wine aboard, by being (how do I say this politely-I can't) greedy. 

7 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

Half a case of Champagne? So far Cunard have been much more tolerant of guests bringing wines and spirits on board, than most other lines. But, remember alcoholic beverages, wine and spirits in particular, are an important source of revenue for them. However, if folks bring large quantities of wine or spirits aboard (because they can save money) it will cut into Cunard's revenue, and the will put a hard fast stop to it. Let's not spoil it for the guest that wants to bring one or two bottles of a favorite wine aboard, by being (how do I say this politely-I can't) greedy. 

Though I agree, perhaps they are hoping to at least get the corkage fee off the bottles brought on board.

I did a check and within the 'VP' section, it states

You may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board to celebrate special occasions.

In the FAQs, it states

You may bring wine or champagne on board to celebrate special occasions. 

So one lists a quantity whereas the other doesn't.

FYI: This is for the 14 day Holiday Cruise over Christmas and New Years.  I have taken on 6 bottles before without a problem.  As said, they will get $20 per bottle fee.  I don't feel as though I am being greedy.  Additionally, my own bar bill (with other drinks) usually extends beyond $1,000 -- so for a single traveler, Cunard is more than getting its money's worth from me!

Half a case is only six bottles. No one cares about six bottles. I normally carry on 10-12 but this year I'm showing restraint with 3 bottles of bubbly and 3 of red wine.

If you bring the bottle to a restaurant or bar they'll get their $20 in corkage. 

4 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Corkage is now $25 per bottle.

Interesting. Did they also raise the price of the wines onboard?

If they raised onboard prices, it's a wash and I should still bring my wines along. If not, more calculation is required.