Are Princess transatlantic cruises fun?

Ken the cruiser

Speaking of OBC, there are a couple other ways to acquire it that a newcomer should be aware:  

1. Veteran Benefit and  2. Shareholder's Benefit (minimum 100 shares CCL stock).  Princess allows them to be combined with FCD.

Edited by GloriaF

51 minutes ago, GloriaF said:

Speaking of OBC, there are a couple other ways to acquire it that a newcomer should be aware:  

1. Veteran Benefit and  2. Shareholder's Benefit (minimum 100 shares CCL stock).  Princess allows them to be combined with FCD.

Good points! Both my DW and I are retired from the USAF and the veteran's benefit is a great one as it's always nice to see $500 OBC instantly pop up when we book a Princess cruise. The Carnival shareholder benefit is also something that continues to pay dividends each time we book a cruise on any cruise line owned by Carnival.

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2018 at 7:58 AM, flamomo said:

We've just got home 3 weeks ago from  a 25 day transatlantic on the Crown ……  first leg, Barcelona to Rome, and then Rome to FLL as the 2nd leg. The weather was amazingly good most of the trip …. daytime temps in the 60 - low 70s, warmer on the sunny days, overnight temps usually 58-60ish, very little rain. Calm seas most of the time …. just a couple of bumpy days when we sailed past Gibraltar and entered the Atlantic. And the Crown was a great ship with an excellent crew.

That was my 5th T/A, all of them but one were westbound. I much prefer the westbound because of all the time changes. By the end of the cruise, we are back on US time. Kinda eases the time adjustment period, and I'm less apt to be coming home short on sleep and tired out.

I agree about preferring the westbound TA. We’ve done three, two eastbound (FLL to Southampton on Celebrity) and one westbound (Rome to FLL on HAL). I loved the westbound. We visited several ports before crossing the Atlantic. By the time we reached FLL we were rested and no jet lag. We are looking for one this fall or in 2020.

Booked our first TA from FLL to Copenhagen--can hardly wait-then also added the Baltic cruise too so a total of 26 days.  Our granddaughter is studying architecture in Copenhagen and will be out of school when we return the second time so she can be our guide for a few days.

We've done 4 eastbound and 5 westbound Princess TAs (mostly to or from Southampton) since 2009 so guess we don't have a preference <g>.  But I would say that visiting Iceland (and sometimes Greenland) gives an edge to the WB.  Also, did an eastbound on HAL, but that was quite a different experience (much "quieter" so to speak because a much smaller ship).  We were in our mid-60s (me) and mid-70s (DH) when we started doing this.  There's always been plenty to do every day if one is so inclined:  lectures (usually at least 2 different series), bingo, activities in the atrium either to watch or participate in, etc.  Besides all of the above, TAs are also a good "deal" price-wise, plus there's only one overseas flight involved.

Edited by BarbinMich

We have done a couple of them and enjoyed them both. We were on the Royal both times. The latest was a TA from Southampton to NY. Because of the weather, the captain change our crossing to a more southerly route, but it was still wonderful. I much prefer the east to west, more hours in the day. The 15 day crossing cost about the same as a flight back from Heathrow, with room and board and entertainment, and beatuful sunrises and sunsets too. Such a deal, and in a balcony no less. I am no longer in a hurry, so a nice cruise home sure beats a crowded miserable flight.

I did the eastbound 14 days from FLL to Copenhagen last year and LOVED IT! One of the best things you can do is get involved in the cruise-long activities, like daily trivia, pop choir, or any other special group activities. It creates a fun bond with your fellow cruisers. The weather was pretty warm for the first few days, but then we hit rain and a cold snap. Still one of the best cruises I’ve done. 

Edited by Lskravy
  • Like 1