On Royal Princess: Royal Afternoon Tea

rkacruiser

Princess Patters from Royal Princess shows a few occasions when a "Royal Afternoon Tea" is offered in the Piazza, limited space, additional charges apply.  How does this differ from the Afternoon Tea that is held in one of the dining rooms?  I'd appreciate information about this "Royal Tea".  How much are the "additional charges" and what is your opinion of the "worth" of this experience?

Thank you for your assistance in answering my questions!

We do the one in the MDR also.  Nearly every day, except if it's a port day and we go ashore.  The daily one is very nice and it's no charge.  Don't know about the other one except that there is a charge and we prefer to not pay extra.  Although, someday we might try it just to check it out at least once, so we'd be interested on the info and opinions.

The basic afternoon tea is available in the main dining room and the Sanctuary. Scones, fruit, and clotted cream are available in the Horizon Court. Everything is delicious. But the Royal Afternoon Tea goes beyond those basics. A traditional 3-tiered silver serving tray is stacked with sandwiches, scones, and various sweets. Three different teas are offered, each served with a different "course'. There is also a custardy imitation of the British "Queen of Puddings." All this for $10, or $20 if you'd like champagne. There are pictures and descriptions at https://destinationtea.com/destination-tea-regal-princess-cruise/. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, indyrocks said:

The basic afternoon tea is available in the main dining room and the Sanctuary. Scones, fruit, and clotted cream are available in the Horizon Court. Everything is delicious. But the Royal Afternoon Tea goes beyond those basics. A traditional 3-tiered silver serving tray is stacked with sandwiches, scones, and various sweets. Three different teas are offered, each served with a different "course'. There is also a custardy imitation of the British "Queen of Puddings." All this for $10, or $20 if you'd like champagne. There are pictures and descriptions at https://destinationtea.com/destination-tea-regal-princess-cruise/. 

The Sanctuary would be an extremely pricey afternoon tea IMO.

Price is all relative. Except for the couple of times were able to upgrade to suites, we've always reserved a couple of chairs in the Sanctuary on warm weather cruises. I can't walk long distances like I used to. As a result I haven't even left the ship on a couple of Caribbean cruises while my wife went off shopping or just stayed on board too. Knowing that our chairs were always available and the peaceful, quiet atmosphere made it well worth the cost in our opinion. I don't know if they do anything special in the morning but at lunch there was a special menu of light, healthy foods to choose from to be sent to the Sanctuary. The stewards would also order other foods from elsewhere in the ship (usually burgers, hot dogs, pizza, ice cream, and such, although we've seen items from the dining room lunch menus) and deliver them to you. And about 3 p.m. the tea carts are brought around. It's not quite as elaborate as the Royal Afternoon Tea, but it's very nice nonetheless.

• Like 1

indyrocks,

Thank you for you post and the link to the Destination Tea article.  Based on its description and photos, the Royal Afternoon Tea is definitely an event that I would enjoy.  I appreciate learning how to make a reservation for this.  I'll look for a sign-up sheet on Embarkation Day and, if not found, I will call the DINE line to try to make a reservation during that first day/

Basically it is a $10.00 fee for an expanded tea experience that is much more like you would get at a traditional tea room.  My DW enjoys tea experiences and while she will go to the regular Princess tea, she points out that the Royal tea is a much better experience and well worth the $10.00.  She passes on the champagne.  I have done it with her on occasion and would agree.   Tea is better, as are the bites and the service.

• Like 1