ESTA Requirement email

david891

Hey guys, quick question.

I am from the UK and have booked a cruise departing from Miami. 

I've emailed me the ESTA TRAVEL REQUIREMENT. Document to print off and present at embarkation with a printed copy of my ESTA. However I don't need an ESTA as I have a US B1/B2 visa so don't need an ESTA.

Do I just need to show my Visa in passport at embarkation and ignore the email with attached letter?

David

44 minutes ago, david891 said:

Hey guys, quick question.

I am from the UK and have booked a cruise departing from Miami. 

I've emailed me the ESTA TRAVEL REQUIREMENT. Document to print off and present at embarkation with a printed copy of my ESTA. However I don't need an ESTA as I have a US B1/B2 visa so don't need an ESTA.

Do I just need to show my Visa in passport at embarkation and ignore the email with attached letter?

David

Why would you even have an ESTA to print off if you have a B1/B2?

Apologies, its because Carnival have emailed me the ESTA Document saying I must present it with a copy of the ESTA at embarkation or I wont be permitted to come onboard.

But as I have said I dont need an ESTA as I have a visa but the document they emailed says no I need an ESTA.

Call centre doesnt understand either.

I would call the US consulate and see what they have to say.  The people who really should be concerned about your visa status would be the airline you are flying to Miami.  Carnival is concerned that whatever visa you have permits you back into the US at the end of your cruise.  If you choose not to get one (I hear they are not expensive) print out a copy of a document that states just what your B1/B2 visa covers.  EM

This is getting out of hand it seems no one has a clue what I'm saying.

I was just asking to see if any other UK citizens has visas in their passport and have cruised on carnival.

Because I have a visa US consolute says I can not hold an ESTA which is what I knew all along but I figure carnival are just giving standard advice.

I was just trying to see if anyone else had similar in the past

It is pretty standard for UK visitors to have WT ( Visa Waiver Program) there fore the need for an ESTA opposed to a B1/B2 Visa.   Try and get your passport stamped upon arrival in the US  ( they are using more and more facial recognition & not stamping).  This will save you some time as they might want to get a 1-94.

22 hours ago, david891 said:

This is getting out of hand it seems no one has a clue what I'm saying.

I was just asking to see if any other UK citizens has visas in their passport and have cruised on carnival.

Because I have a visa US consolute says I can not hold an ESTA which is what I knew all along but I figure carnival are just giving standard advice.

I was just trying to see if anyone else had similar in the past

I'm sorry, that's  a different question than "Do I just need to show my Visa in passport at embarkation and ignore the email with attached letter?"

the answer to the rephrased question is yes. The question back to you is how confident are you that you are going to get on the ship if you don't provide what is asked for?

David,

You have too much faith in our educational system.

The workers at the ports can only check a box.

The box says, Does customer have ESTA form?

I would be shocked if they knew what a B1/B2 is.

I understand your question.

The answer should be No, you don’t need the ESTA 

However, I wouldn’t risk my entire holiday by not having the ESTA as a backup.

4 hours ago, klfrodo said:

David,

You have too much faith in our educational system.

The workers at the ports can only check a box.

The box says, Does customer have ESTA form?

I would be shocked if they knew what a B1/B2 is.

I understand your question.

The answer should be No, you don’t need the ESTA 

However, I wouldn’t risk my entire holiday by not having the ESTA as a backup.

Unfortunately the OP has indicated that one cannot obtain an ESTA if one already has a B1/B2 visa.  So the OP cannot just "get one as backup".

Even US customs / CBP folks don't understand most visa rules - for example, when I was in the US under a TN visa, I applied for a Green Card.  Normally, if you are in the US on a visa, you cannot come and go once you have applied for permanent residency.  But the TN visa is meant for exactly that, and is a very specific exemption.  But while dealing with customs on an unrelated issue, the topic came up and they were quite convinced I shouldn't be leaving the country off and on - in the end it didn't matter, wasn't their area of concern, but it showed how easily generalizations get turned into hard and fast rules in some people's minds.

If the first minion at the port for check-in doesn't understand, just escalate it - it will get sorted out soon enough.

Hi

when we cruised earlier in the year we received the Etsa notice as well, while we had all diligently printed off our Etsas the port staff only scanned our passports and never asked for the Etsa. So my best guess is that the esta approval is linked to your passport details in the us customs system.