Puerto Vallarta

CarolandNate

We are taking a Panama Canal cruise in December and are doing research on various ports for excursions.  We have made the decision to stay with the Princess excursions.  We want to do some beach and PV seems to be a good place for that.  The ship has a couple of beach excursions and the one that got our attention was the Discovery Family Las Caletas Private Beach Getaway.  ( https://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.page?t=T&exType=S&tourCode=PVR-280)  It is 6.5 hours which is a good chunk of the nine hours in PV.  The part that seems attractive is that its an hour each way and four plus in one place.  Beaches, hiking, kayaking, food, etc  Others seem to bounce around a bit more, meaning more traveling.  We figure we'll have plenty of that in other ports.  There is one to Majahuitas which is categorized as strenuous, more hiking and I saw nothing about kayaking.  Also I saw a kayaking, snorkeling horseback riding to Quimixto.  A bit more expensive than the other two.

I am interested in hearing from people who have done any of these excursions and what they thought.  I am especially interested in hearing about the Discovery Family Getaway.  The four hour stay seems self explanatory and I am curious to hear if it is all it's cracked up to be.  My other question is whether there is much to see when one takes the catamaran for that hour each way.

We just returned from a HAL Mexico cruise and went to Las Caletas.  This was our 2nd time we took the excursion because we liked it so much.  It’s a nice, comfortable boat ride to and from.  The ride there goes along the coast and nice to see.  On the way back it’s more of a ride and the staff put on a little show.

Lunch was a buffet and very good.  There is lots to do-we snorkel (not really many varieties of fish to see).  It’s a great excursion in our opinion.  They have hammocks to relax in on the beach or in the water.  I’ll try to post some photos.  There are also other activities that you can pay for.

I enjoyed walking where the parrots were.  

Here are some photos.  Just as a side note, last time we went in morning which we enjoyed more. This time we left around 11:30 so lunch was right away when we arrived.  

You can swim out to these; and lunch area below.

124731C2-BC08-48AC-A380-D5D317CE5B26.jpeg

0B88067E-2808-498D-95CD-55E5FB6EA10C.jpeg

Edited by canadianbear

So, it seems like everyone liked that one.  I assume we are talking about the same one, about $100 for 6 1/2 hours.  BTW, the "paid" option that sends one into the air.......ahhhh..... very nice.  Think we'll pass on that one.   Kayaking is about as adventurous and strenuous that I plan to get.  Good to know there might be stuff to see on the ride over and back.  We will be going in the morning.  I plan to book this as soon as it becomes available.  Princess says 120 days before, but I have heard, it can be booked sooner, maybe even now.

Yes I think it was $104 per adult.  That activity I think is called Flyboard-looked amazing if only I was younger!

They have the paddle boards too as well as round floats you can sit on.  Waiters on the beach bring you punch, liquor or pop.  All quite relaxing or you can do stuff.  

Hope you enjoy it!

Las Caletas is great. We went last December, and plan on going back in March. The food is pretty good. We didn't do any extras, just ate, walked around and relaxed. The trip out there, we saw a lot of whales and dolphins. The return trip the crew do a fun show.

IMG_1315.JPG

IMG_1316.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG

IMG_1318.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boris53098 said:

Las Caletas is great. We went last December, and plan on going back in March. The food is pretty good. We didn't do any extras, just ate, walked around and relaxed. The trip out there, we saw a lot of whales and dolphins. The return trip the crew do a fun show.

IMG_1315.JPG

IMG_1316.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG

IMG_1318.JPG

That sounds great.  Just the kind of stuff I wanted to hear.  Which line?  Did you do the ship's tour?  When you said extras that you did not do, I assume you meant kayaking or cooking class, etc.  So it appears that between walking around and of course, eating there is plenty to do in four hours.  And it also seems like there is much to see on the ride out top Las Caletas.

We have been into kayaking the last couple of years and we want to get at least one opportunity to do so.  Also we want to to go the beach at least once.  What I like about this excursion is that you get out there, stay around in one place for four hours and do what you want.  Then we come back and we still have time in town before heading back to the ship.  Some of the others are travel 30 minutes to one place, stay for an hour or two; travel to the next, etc.

You went in December, right?  When did you book this?

20 hours ago, CarolandNate said:

That sounds great.  Just the kind of stuff I wanted to hear.  Which line?  Did you do the ship's tour?  When you said extras that you did not do, I assume you meant kayaking or cooking class, etc.  So it appears that between walking around and of course, eating there is plenty to do in four hours.  And it also seems like there is much to see on the ride out top Las Caletas.

We have been into kayaking the last couple of years and we want to get at least one opportunity to do so.  Also we want to to go the beach at least once.  What I like about this excursion is that you get out there, stay around in one place for four hours and do what you want.  Then we come back and we still have time in town before heading back to the ship.  Some of the others are travel 30 minutes to one place, stay for an hour or two; travel to the next, etc.

You went in December, right?  When did you book this?

We did it through Carnival. From what I understand, (not sure if it's true or not, I didn't look into it) it has to be booked through the ship. I think I booked it about 3 months out. It's well worth the price, in my opinion. And yes, we went in December.

5 hours ago, boris53098 said:

We did it through Carnival. From what I understand, (not sure if it's true or not, I didn't look into it) it has to be booked through the ship. I think I booked it about 3 months out. It's well worth the price, in my opinion. And yes, we went in December.

Princess has one that sounds like it might be the same

Discovery Family Las Caletas Private Beach Getaway           6.5 hours         $104.95                       

You will visit: Las Caletas  This is a private beach getaway accessible only by boat. Snorkel, kayak, paddle board, cooking lessons, nature walk in the forest. A lunch buffet and open bar is included on this full-day excursion. Depart from pier to Las Caletas (1:15);  Arrival at Las Caletas with lunch and activities (4:15); Depart from Las Caletas to pier and ship (1:00). 

There is another one that spends an hour at one beach and three at another with similar activities, swimming, kayaking, hiking, eating (although on the catamaran).  They are very similar and this one is $94, a little cheaper.

The third is about $139, also with similar activities, but moving from site to site

Thanks for the feedback

Has anyone been to the Yelapa & Mahajuitas Beach excursion.  Looking at tours from the ship, while in port at Puerto Vallarta.  Very much like what I hear about the Las Caletas Getaway.  This one sounds similar and I would like to have something to compare.  Going in December 2019, so I do have time to research.

All of them are beaches. You can use Las Caletas only when booking with Vallarta adventures or through your ship. Meals, drinks etc. are included. Yelapa. Mahajuitas and Los Animas are public beaches, where you can only get by boat. You will find some restaurants there.

1 hour ago, Ine said:

All of them are beaches. You can use Las Caletas only when booking with Vallarta adventures or through your ship. Meals, drinks etc. are included. Yelapa. Mahajuitas and Los Animas are public beaches, where you can only get by boat. You will find some restaurants there.

I saw Yelapa, Mahajuitas on the Princess site, as excursions.  If they are public beaches, it sounds like there would be a lot more people there, than say, at Las Caletas.  So basically one would be paying $95 per person to go a public beach with pretty much anyone else who could get there and pay for your own food.  As opposed to having a limited amount of people around you and food.  Thanks for the info.;

As noted, when cruise ships are in port Las Caletas is only bookable  through the ship.  It is basically a visit by sea to an all inclusive that also has some add ons that are not free.   Food and drink is included and the drinking begins as soon as you board the vessel to LC.  Trip takes 45 minutes to an hour, depends on how and when captain decides to show you some islands on the route.  Very relaxing day .  No travel issues as the catamaran to LC leaves from the port where the ship docks.  

There are however less expensive ways to see and experience a beach in PV, either at an AI or just grabbing a cab OYO.  We love using local buses but I might not suggest that option to a first timer.

1 minute ago, wheezedr said:

As noted, when cruise ships are in port Las Caletas is only bookable  through the ship.  It is basically a visit by sea to an all inclusive that also has some add ons that are not free.   Food and drink is included and the drinking begins as soon as you board the vessel to LC.  Trip takes 45 minutes to an hour, depends on how and when captain decides to show you some islands on the route.  Very relaxing day .  No travel issues as the catamaran to LC leaves from the port where the ship docks.  

There are however less expensive ways to see and experience a beach in PV, either at an AI or just grabbing a cab OYO.  We love using local buses but I might not suggest that option to a first timer.

I appreciate that, as a first timer.  We made a conscious decision to do our excursions through the ship, especially those that are going to take most of the day in port.  Was told if "one is likely to stress out wondering if something might go wrong, then take the ship's excursion"  We would stress out and I think that might have some bearing on how much we would enjoy ourselves.  Yes it might be cheaper on our own, but not worth the concern.  I personally like the idea of the LC excursion with an hour out and one hour back and four hours in one place to do as we please.  Looks like there a re a number of things that we would enjoy in that four hours.  The bus or cab thing is fine when there is a lot of time at the back end of a port of call and you are close to the ship.  Thanks for the info.

4 hours ago, CarolandNate said:

Was told if "one is likely to stress out wondering if something might go wrong, then take the ship's excursion"  We would stress out and I think that might have some bearing on how much we would enjoy ourselves.

You make complete sense!  You have considered the issue, and made the right decision for YOU.  Find your own comfort zone.  The vacation is about letting go of stress, not about compounding it!

If you book the excursion to Yelapa etc through the cruiseline they will certainly have a deal with one of more restaurants. Those beaches are never realy crowded since one need a boat to get there. When reserving through the cruiseline indeed they will wait for you in case of delay.