12 night Scandinavia and Russia - Aqua or 1A with Speciality?

AidenL

Hi all,

I have today booked a 12 night cruise around Scandinavia and Russia. I booked a 1A cabin on the slope, so it has a bigger balcony.

We will have 4 sea days, so would imagine we will spend most time on the balcony those days as the pool, solarium and common areas can be very crowded.

We have been in Aqua on the last two cruises and liked Blu and the footstools for relaxing on the balcony. Never used Persian Gardens at all.

The price difference to upgrade to Aqua would be 900 Euros. Looking at speciality Dining packages, I think its around 50 Euros per day average. So a max of 6-- Euros, so 2/3rds of the price for Aqua. I wouldn't even envisage that wed need 12 nights speciality, 6 might be plenty on a 12 nighter? 

We have never dined in the MDR, except for lunch on one sea day. I believe the menus are pretty good there on sea day evenings, and that those are the dress up nights, is that correct? Is the MDR crazily busy, noisy, and loud at all times? I like a two top and like a quite meal where we can chat and people watch, but if its chaos, its no fun. 

Anyway, just canvassing opinions as to what everyone thinks? Stay in MDR, as its free food in a way, do a 50.50 6 night speciality upgrade for around 400 Euros, or go all out with Equal and Blu for 900 Euros, which is essentially 15% of the overall cruise cost, quite a lot when I say it like that.

Stay in that 1A on the hump and book the speciality package, that we we have for next September. We are not fans of the MDR, noisy, rushed, average food, but that’s just our opinion.

Edited by yorky

3 minutes ago, yorky said:

Stay in that 1A on the hump and book the speciality package, that we we have for next September. We are not fans of the MDR, noisy, rushed, average food, but that’s just our opinion.

How many nights speciality do you usually go for ?

7 minutes ago, AidenL said:

How many nights speciality do you usually go for ?

We are an 11 night cruise next September and will book the four night in advance and go from there. On top of that we will have a couple of meals in the buffet after long days and a mix of the MDR and further speciality restaurants on a day by day basis depending on offers made onboard. Last time we had I think 3 meals in the MDR and did not enjoy any of them in truth, but just our opinion as many other are more than happy with the offering which is fair enough. For us MDR  dining on any  mainstream cruise line is a pale imitation of 20 or more years ago.

• Like 1

Stay in the 1A and eat in the MDR....you won't be slumming...it's actually quite nice 🙂  As far as the footstool, We were in a 1A on the same cruise this year.  I asked our cabin attendant if he could find some footstools  and he appeared with two brand new  footstools (I gave him a $20 tip on the spot).

• Like 1

I am always treated very well in the MDR. I am Lactose Intolerant and feel I have special treatment from the servers, who are the same every night, even though we have Select Dining. I would however say that the 2 tops are possibly too close together, but can not compare with specality dining, as we have never done it.

• Like 1