Christmas Markets - Rhine or Danube

Miamia65

Your first question: it is good to have some cash for small amounts that you have to pay as vendors might implement a personal rule of "credit card payment over 5 euros only" or similar. For details on the markets I am sure others will answer you soon. For the docking locations: they can be near enough for walking, but some may be further away. This depends on town and which market you want to see. For that it will be helpful to others to know the itinerary you will be on (the towns).  Shopping after dinner can be tricky as more often than not you either sail or the markets may be closed. This varies from market to market. The hours should be known to your CD and can usually be found online on the towns' tourism websites.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

We have been on three Christmas Market cruises with Viking and loved every moment of all three. I’ve looked back at my notes on our Budapest to Passau cruise on the Danube so hopefully can give you a bit of info. This was our itinerary of course, yours may be different 

Budapest- the boat is docked very close to where you can walk to the markets and it gets dark early so you can experience the magic of it all. 

Bratislava- have to ride bus to the city center for the markets but we were allowed plenty of time after included tour to wander around. Great place for shopping and items were mostly handmade and affordable. 

Vienna- have to ride bus into town and Viking ran shuttles all during the evening so we could go visit the markets after dinner. AMAZING lights in the park there. 

Melk was a very small town and it was a long walk back to boat if you chose to stay there after the included tour of the Abbey. Markets only open on weekend here. 

Salzburg- I don’t think it’s an included tour any longer. It’s a 1-1/2 hour bus ride from Linz. 

Passau-walking distance to markets which are right by St Stephens Cathedral. After organ concert there we had a few hours for markets. 

We always get local currency at a Bank ATM for spending at markets. We buy a lot of gluwhein and food and cash is just simpler. (On a side note, our bank won’t allow us to use our ATM card at banks in certain Eastern European countries so be sure to check with your bank)

If you have any other questions don’t hesitate to ask. 

PS Be sure to pack bubble wrap to pack your Christmas mugs from the markets in. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2019 at 12:48 PM, BAYA said:

I am considering booking a Christmas markets on the Rhine cruise for Dec. 2020 on the Viking Idi. My question: Is it so cold and/or dark early each day in that region that it's a waste of money to book a veranda cabin since I'll never go out on the balcony anyway? also, any opinions on Viking longship French balcony vs. veranda cabin?

Many thanks.

Just us, but we went on Viking and I don't have anything good to say about them.  I am sure others like them.

• 4 weeks later...

Ships are toasty and you can control your cabin temperature. We loved those heated floors in Viking bathrooms!  We did a Christmas Market cruise on the Rhine in 2017 during mid December and I think I only put my coat on 1 evening. Weather was unseasonably warm and a sweater or light jacket was all I needed most of the time. Never used the hat or gloves except the day we cruised the gorge and a few of us went up to the sun deck and the wind was quite cold. 

5 hours ago, swixpat said:

How warm are the ships inside? Lots of draughts? I’m familiar with the weather conditions, I’m more worried that we might never get warm on the ship except in the shower.

I felt comfortable on the ship. It was only cold outside.