Non-smoking cruise?

DaCruiseBug

On 12/14/2018 at 7:00 AM, sparks1093 said:

Yes, this was a huge topic of debate on the Carnival board when the change was announced with some posters calling others rats if they said they would report balcony smoking (FWIW I was one of the so called "rats"🤣) and enforcement is tricky. I think most smokers comply with the rules and those that don't typically don't because they are ignorant of the rule or justify the rule breaking to themselves somehow (it's open air on the balcony, who can it really bother? or the "fine" is only $250 and it's worth it to not have to go up 10 decks). I've known very few smokers that were so militant that they would intentionally smoke in a non-smoking area. So with the change Carnival is hoping to add another layer of deterrence for those who do know the rule but justify it to themselves somehow. Back in the day I could see myself slipping out to the balcony for a fast one just before bed or something, but if I knew that being removed from the ship was a possibility it would be enough for me to not do that. One can only hope that smokers will comply and if they don't that the cruise line will enforce the rule. 

If they choose not to enforce their rules against pool chair hogs, as is often the case on many cruise lines, why would you expect them to enforce their smoking rules?

19 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

If they choose not to enforce their rules against pool chair hogs, as is often the case on many cruise lines, why would you expect them to enforce their smoking rules?

As I said in my last sentence one can only hope that smokers will comply and if they don't that the rule will be enforced. It's not my job to enforce it but if someone is repeatedly lighting up on the balcony next to mine you can bet that I'd be pretty vocal about it to the staff.