USB ports on Caribbean Princess

tempus137

3 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

Basket can go in the suitcase and just fill it with socks etc. 

Yes, but why?  You mentioned it was a packing challenge.

Took a look at a video of the room, looked like there was room by the TVs unless they have been reconfigured.

10 hours ago, TheRabbit said:

The three prong plug is a great add on, but find extension cords are better as you can move the items away from work areas. Also, there are extra outlets behind the tv. I have always plugged the USB chargers into a cord there as it is out of the way.

Hi Bugs,

Your starting to scare me :classic_biggrin:  I do the same as you :classic_blink:  I always take a extension cord for the same reasons.

Your Pal,

The Captain of The Rowboat, 🚣‍♂️

Tony

20 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

Yes, but why?  You mentioned it was a packing challenge.

Hmmmm, let's think about this. A wire mesh basket attached (somehow) to wood paneling for TVs that are at eye level and largely recessed into the wall with the basket sticking out into the very limited walk space between the TV and the bed/workspace. OR a 1.5" nice and tidy cube firmly attached to a wall outlet above the desk. 🤔 Definitely NOT better, for my application. 

The extension cord I took stayed in the carry on. Completely useless for my application. 

But of course, everyone's situation is different. 

16 hours ago, TheRabbit said:

Took a look at a video of the room, looked like there was room by the TVs unless they have been reconfigured.

Our TVs were mounted higher on the wall but the Princess website will give you the general idea.  Who wants an extension cord cluttering up the place. I'm all about tidy and functional solutions. But WALDT, of course.  

25 minutes ago, Grover_ said:

Sitting in my balcony cabin on Caribbean Princess as I type this.  No USB outlets.  I felt around the edge of the tv and didn’t feel one.  

Thanks for confirming.........

If they ever put them in they will be near the lamps next to the beds. Or at least they should be.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

If they ever put them in they will be near the lamps next to the beds. Or at least they should be.

That's where they are on Viking Ocean and on Oceania Marina--hope Princess does this upgrade soon--they worry so much about things being plugged in--this would eliminate a lot of the extra plugs.  

21 hours ago, Ep010835 said:
20 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

Yes, but why?  You mentioned it was a packing challenge.

Hmmmm, let's think about this. A wire mesh basket attached (somehow) to wood paneling for TVs that are at eye level and largely recessed into the wall with the basket sticking out into the very limited walk space between the TV and the bed/workspace. OR a 1.5" nice and tidy cube firmly attached to a wall outlet above the desk. 🤔 Definitely NOT better, for my application. 

The extension cord I took stayed in the carry on. Completely useless for my application. 

But of course, everyone's situation is different. 

Our TVs were mounted higher on the wall but the Princess website will give you the general idea.  Who wants an extension cord cluttering up the place. I'm all about tidy and functional solutions. But WALDT, of course.  

These baskets are plastic. Even though it was 4" deep, it never interfered with walking, and I'm a big boy. The magnets were very strong, so even bumping it would not knock it off the fake wood walls. This was one of the best additions we made. Kept currently unused pages for our trip in it along with the port guides. All current pages were up on the wall with magnets. (File for this trip was over 1.5" thick)

Sounds like the room configuration has changed. As for tidy, I use Velcro wire straps to keep cords organized. Your application sounds great if I only had USB charged devices, which I don't.

I like the idea that the 6 station charger can handle both low and high amp demands. So many were just low (1 amp or less).

I also find it convenient to run a cord to my side of the bed to have a charger for my Kindle. Several times on our 60 day cruise I needed it at night to continue reading.

16 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

That's how we had them on the Norwegian Bliss, as well as over the desk area, next to the regular outlets.

The one in the lamp by the bed really helped since I used my tablet as a clock, and an alarm.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2018 at 2:31 PM, TheRabbit said:

These baskets are plastic. Even though it was 4" deep, it never interfered with walking, and I'm a big boy. The magnets were very strong, so even bumping it would not knock it off the fake wood walls. This was one of the best additions we made. Kept currently unused pages for our trip in it along with the port guides. All current pages were up on the wall with magnets. (File for this trip was over 1.5" thick)

Sounds like the room configuration has changed. As for tidy, I use Velcro wire straps to keep cords organized. Your application sounds great if I only had USB charged devices, which I don't.

I like the idea that the 6 station charger can handle both low and high amp demands. So many were just low (1 amp or less).

I also find it convenient to run a cord to my side of the bed to have a charger for my Kindle. Several times on our 60 day cruise I needed it at night to continue reading.

Well, sir....(as they say) let me say this about that. 

The link you posted in Post #20 says this:

Wire mesh basket w/ magnet, 3 assort, 4.7 x 2 x 3.5 in, 12pks

Box Price: $20.16

SKU: 4549131311662

Sounds like wire mesh to me. 

Your reference to "fake wood walls" is wholly inaccurate. If you will once again look closely at the photos on the PCL website of C749, you will see that the cabinet doors and the paneling on the bedroom side are real honest to goodness wood. Having spent 14 days in this cabin, I can fully and accurately attest to the materials involved. Nary a bit of ferrous metal to be found. Maybe in the cabinet door handles or some of the trim but the rest of it is non-ferrous wood. Neither you nor I nor the Captain himself is going to be attaching any magnets on or around these TVs. Even if this were possible, the wire mesh baskets would represent a hazard. 

No need whatsoever to worry about powering "only USB charged devices". 

This:

image.png.2b419a1e11b0b89d292e40719fda8493.png

Or this:

image.png.7648ff64c9a1ea7f535903c5924dbac3.png

will accomodate all of the 110V devices you can think of. These have even been rumored to be capable of handling 20A or even more!!

Call me crazy, but an extension cord draped around the cabin so as to provide bedside power is a trip hazard and an accident waiting to happen. NO thank you. I'll keep all of my cords safely on the desktop plugged into a cube tap firmly inserted into one of the wall sockets located above the desk surface. 

23 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

Well, sir....(as they say) let me say this about that. 

The link you posted in Post #20 says this:

Wire mesh basket w/ magnet, 3 assort, 4.7 x 2 x 3.5 in, 12pks

Box Price: $20.16

SKU: 4549131311662

Sounds like wire mesh to me. 

Your reference to "fake wood walls" is wholly inaccurate. If you will once again look closely at the photos on the PCL website of C749, you will see that the cabinet doors and the paneling on the bedroom side are real honest to goodness wood. Having spent 14 days in this cabin, I can fully and accurately attest to the materials involved. Nary a bit of ferrous metal to be found. Maybe in the cabinet door handles or some of the trim but the rest of it is non-ferrous wood. Neither you nor I nor the Captain himself is going to be attaching any magnets on or around these TVs. Even if this were possible, the wire mesh baskets would represent a hazard. 

No need whatsoever to worry about powering "only USB charged devices". 

This:

image.png.2b419a1e11b0b89d292e40719fda8493.png

Or this:

image.png.7648ff64c9a1ea7f535903c5924dbac3.png

will accomodate all of the 110V devices you can think of. These have even been rumored to be capable of handling 20A or even more!!

Call me crazy, but an extension cord draped around the cabin so as to provide bedside power is a trip hazard and an accident waiting to happen. NO thank you. I'll keep all of my cords safely on the desktop plugged into a cube tap firmly inserted into one of the wall sockets located above the desk surface. 

OK

First, sir....(as they say) let me say this about that, in the description, I indicated it was like the one. "They were something like this." In another I mentioned it was plastic. We bought it for $4 in a Daiso  store in Japan. Other than the 6 strong magnets, it was most definitely all plastic.

"Call me crazy, but an extension cord draped around the cabin so as to provide bedside power is a trip hazard and an accident waiting to happen." I ran it behind the bed. From nowhere could one even come close to tripping as less than the first 2 feet of the cord and the last 6 inches were visible. Until they add a USB charger to the lamps by the bed, this is a great option.

As for the first multi plug above, we use one at the wall by the desk. However, some of my USB chargers are wide flat ones so it would make sense to go to the USB charger you mentioned well above. However, I realized we are using 5 chargers that are all 2 or 3 amp. I use a cord plus a three way multi plug in order to get everything plugged in. Also, IMHO it is easier to reach in behind the TV and plug in a cord than reach in and plug in the chargers in a multi plug. 

For organization, I use these Velcro wire straps to bundle and organize. As for metal, it is the wall, not the cabinet, trim, doors etc that are wood, but the fake wood walls. I know they are metal. Last trip we took over a dozen magnets for putting items on the wall. As for C749 with the cloth covered walls, some members here have indicated it is metal behind the cloth.

On the last trip we also had a sewing machine for the DW plugged in and on top of the desk along with a laptop. Used the laptop on the coffee table which is to far of a reach for the PC power unit's cords.

As I have stated each time, your 6 port USB charger does look interesting, but just not the correct application for a few of us.