Anthem of the Seas Dining Help

My family and I usually cruise solely on Oasis class ships so we know very little about the Anthem.  We usually cruise in suites partly because the noise in the MDR really gets to me and the amount of people cramming in at once isn't something we enjoy.  I have been trying to read reviews about the Anthem but they are all over the place with how the dining rooms are on the Anthem. Can somebody please explain or answer the following.

1.  Since the ship started out with Dynamic dining are the MDR's smaller and quieter than traditional ships?

2.  Is the menu now the same at each dining room?

3.  It seems like the amount of specialty restaurants is less than Oasis class so is an Ultimate Dining package worth it at 200pp

4.  What restaurants can we eat at that include a $ amount in place of it being included and how much?

5.  Is Izumi only sushi on the Anthem?

Thanks in advance,

Scott 

10 minutes ago, cruisinforabruising said:

My family and I usually cruise solely on Oasis class ships so we know very little about the Anthem.  We usually cruise in suites partly because the noise in the MDR really gets to me and the amount of people cramming in at once isn't something we enjoy.  I have been trying to read reviews about the Anthem but they are all over the place with how the dining rooms are on the Anthem. Can somebody please explain or answer the following.

1.  Since the ship started out with Dynamic dining are the MDR's smaller and quieter than traditional ships? Yes, smaller and I do find them more quiet.

2.  Is the menu now the same at each dining room? Yes, changes each night, but is the same in all four dining rooms.

3.  It seems like the amount of specialty restaurants is less than Oasis class so is an Ultimate Dining package worth it at 200pp Yes, fewer choices. Given you are really left with Wonderland, Chops and  Jamie's I personally do not find the Ultimate package worth the additional cost.  That is my opinion, I imagine others will feel differently. (I do not eat sushi so Izumi wasn't listed above)

4.  What restaurants can we eat at that include a $ amount in place of it being included and how much? Not sure I understand.  If you are asking what are the specialty restaurants and the cost here is the list....Izumi (a la carte), Chops around $49pp, Jamies $45pp and Wonderland $49pp.  These cost vary depending on time of year, specials, etc.  We enjoy the BOGO offers for $40pp.  We feel $40pp for 2 nights of specialty dining is a fair price.

5.  Is Izumi only sushi on the Anthem? Yes, sushi.  No habachi grill.

Thanks in advance,

Scott 

Edited by VaTech8912

Anthem's four MDRs are smaller than any traditional MDR, even looking at a single floor.  Think of each as half of an Oasis MDR floor.  They are not necessarily quieter, and can seem a bit tight at times, but the wait staff does a good job of keeping things smooth.

The menu is now the same in all four MDRs.

We have not done an Ultimate package on Anthem (except for once in Star class where it was included).  I would say it is probably worth it, as Anthem always seems to maximize your flexibilty and address your requests when you splurge for these higher end offerings.

Izumi is the only al'a carte that exists on Anthem (unless you count Johnny Rockets).  I understand that Izumis is now headed towards a $49.99 fixed charge with a set list of choice categories and items, but that some al'a carte is still available.

Izumis is the only sushi I have seen.  I was not as impressed with Anthem"s Izumis as I have been on  other ships, as the venue is crowded and the food was just okay.  The other specialties were all fine.

/Greg

4 minutes ago, Giaco26 said:

For a fixed dining time (i.e. 8pm), do you get to choose which of the four restaurants to eat in on a daily basis, or do they assign one and that's where you eat every night?

You get a restaurant and table assigned, and it' s the same the entire cruise.

35 minutes ago, TVLady3 said:

I booked MTD for 6pm on the Anthem for my upcoming cruise There will be 5 of us, if for some reason some of us can't make it some nights, do I need to let them know in advance?

It would be nice to give them advance notice if the table will not be needed so they can use it for someone else.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Anthem last February...we were really disappointed with the main dining rooms, we had My Time Dining. I miss the 2 story dining rooms on the smaller ships that have a grand feeling. The atmosphere in these dining rooms in nothing special with rushed service, of course this is just my opinion. We are going again this winter and have purchased the Ultimate Dining package so I think we will have a much better dining experience. I do believe if you have a suite, you can dine in The Coastal Kitchen which seemed to have a much better and quieter set up, but this is just my observation from sticking my head in the door.

Some clarification.  Yes the menu is the same for all 4 restaurants.  The menu is basically static and only the first 2-3 items in each category (app., entrée, dessert) changes each night.  This was the way the menu was presented on our 9 & 12 nights sail on the Anthem this year.  I'm assuming this is the same throughout fleet in North America.

Also, as Bob mentioned it would be courteous to advise the wait staff if you will not have dinner on any night so they don't wait for you.

As far as alternative dining, Jamie's a much better value than Chops IMO.  While Chops is good, no different than most steak houses on land.  Jamie's adds a different twist to Italian food.  The Planks, my lord!!!  lol

• Like 1