To tour Cozumel area or not

peterp

We hear so many stories about Mexico not being safe.  I have heard good things about the tour company "Tour Plaza".  My sister-in-law is worried that we will be brought into a bad area.  I would like to see some ruins while we are in Cozumel.  Any comments on any of this.

Tours Plaza is often suggested on this board, although I have never booked through them. You can book a private tour through them, Black Hat and others often suggested on this board, or just hire a taxi by the hour for 3-4 hours to see many of the sites on the island.  Touring the east side of the island offers great scenery and some fun/funky beach bars.  Cozumel is relatively safe compared to other part of Mexico (and parts of DC and northern VA where I reside); use common sense and stick to the tourist areas and you will be fine.

There are small Mayan ruins on Cozumel at San Gervasio - not impressive compared to what you can see on the mainland, but easy to see via taxi or private tour (bring some bug spray!).  Bigger more impressive ruins on the mainland (Tulum, Coba, etc.) will require a ferry ride to Playa del Carmen and then a bus and are best booked through the cruise line.

Cozumel is an island with many beach clubs, opportunities to snorkel, etc.  Do some homework on this board and trip advisor and plan your day to see and do what you want.

17 hours ago, peterp said:

We hear so many stories about Mexico not being safe.  I have heard good things about the tour company "Tour Plaza".  My sister-in-law is worried that we will be brought into a bad area.  I would like to see some ruins while we are in Cozumel.  Any comments on any of this.

Mexico is a very large country.  There is crime in other parts of the country but Cozumel is a small island off the coast and it depends 100% on tourism economy to survive.  Crime is minimal there.  In fact, I would say it is safer than almost any city in US.  Yes, you can have your purse stolen if you leave it sitting at your table unattended somewhere, but that is true anywhere.  

Toured with ToursPlaza many times. The driver will stay with you if you want or will gve you space - your call , just let them know what you require.

agree Cozumel is very safe - we also stay on land visits and walk all over.

About $40 per hour for up to 4 passengers in the taxi if I remember the board from our last visit.  Current rates will be posted on the fare board near the cab line for your pier.  There's usually a 3-4 hour minimum

We like to rent a Jeep at the port and drive to the other end of the island. It’s not far and it’s way less crowed with tourists. There is a small Mayan Ruins area over ther that is self guided walking tour and it is beautiful. There are amazing public beaches that you can enjoy as well. The best tip I can give you if you decide to rent a Jeep is don’t put gas in it for return. They charge you $20 if you returned without putting more gas in. It’s better than what we did when we rented first time. We decided to save ourselves the money and get the gas ourselves. Well you cannot pump your own gas in Cozumel, an attendant does it for you. Well they saw us coming a mile away. The gas pumps are in pesos and we didn’t know the exchange. We got charged about $80 for a couple gallons of gas. Still amazing to see the rest of the island, I highly recommend trying it. We are doing it again on 1/20/2019 when we sail the Oasis.