life vests in cabin?

baz48

I can't find this topic addressed in this forum.  Are life vests provided in the cabin on Regent ships?  We've always had them in the cabin until our recent Viking Ocean cruise where they were not.  

Although there are life vests in your suite, if the alarm goes off, passengers should not return to their suites but instead will be given a life vest in their muster station.

I have noticed on some other cruise lines that life vests are no longer worn to muster and I've heard talk of life vests not being in the suite.  As of now, Regent has not bought into the new way of doing things.

And for security reasons I would think.  FAR better to have the life vests readily available in the closet (and know, from Muster Drill) how to put them on, than not.   24 hours in one day.  Chance of a "disaster" happening I suppose in the "wee hours of the morning" must be 1 in 4 or 1 in 3 - and the vests are right there.

Also correct to say that if you are not in your suite when this disaster arrives - you should not trek back to your suite to get them!

Thank you all.  On our very first cruise back in 1997 the ship's emergency alarm rang while we were at breakfast on the second full day.  We did return to our cabin to get our life vests and medicines and reported to our muster station.  Of course, it was obvious we would be able to do that.  It was a smaller ship and easy to get back to the cabin.  If water was coming in, that would be a different situation!  In our case, it was an engine fire and no one was hurt, but the ship was dead at sea for 12 hours.  We were towed into Victoria that night.

My husband would rather have access to the life vest, if possible, than rely on there being enough at the muster station or waiting for someone to hand them out.