Symphony of the Seas - Gluten Free

elude411

Has anyone that has traveled on Symphony of the Seas been on a gluten free diet?  We will be cruising in March and I was wondering if I would be able to get the kidos and myself items like GF pancakes for breakfast, breads for sandwiches, cookies, etc.

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Contact special_needs@rccl.com and notify them of your dietary restrictions.

They will put you in touch with the people on board who can help.

I did that about 3 weeks ago and haven't received a call back nor email.  I was just looking for people first hand experiences.

2 minutes ago, elude411 said:

I did that about 3 weeks ago and haven't received a call back nor email.  I was just looking for people first hand experiences.

Could be that your cruise is too far in the future.  If you have not heard anything by a couple of weeks before the cruise, I'd contact them again.

I’ve done extensive research for GF availability on Royal Caribbean, as my daughter has Celiac disease. Though we have not been on Symphony, we have been on Oasis twice in 2018 and it seems that the GF offerings are pretty consistent between ships in the same class.

You will definitely have access to GF pancakes and other GF breakfast items prepared without cross contamination in the Main Dining Room. We have also had luck at lunchtime getting safe GF burgers with GF buns specially prepared at the Windjammer. Dinner is pretty easy to get multiple GF options in the Dining Room. Sorrentos has GF pizza which actually tastes good. Udis bagels are available at Park Cafe. Udis cookies available at Park Cafe & Cafe Promenade. GF bread for sandwiches (Canyon Bakehouse) was available at a few locations. Overall, we found the selection of GF food on the Oasis to be great for our needs!  The head waiters and chefs are trained and very good at delivering safe GF food in our experience.

Edited by Gatordad815
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, elude411 said:

Has anyone that has traveled on Symphony of the Seas been on a gluten free diet?  We will be cruising in March and I was wondering if I would be able to get the kidos and myself items like GF pancakes for breakfast, breads for sandwiches, cookies, etc.

On Symphony at the moment and my daughter is a Cealic. While we haven’t asked for Gluten Free pancakes this trip, they haven’t been a problem in the past.

The thing my daughter likes the most (not for breakfast), is fries. It is hard for her to get fries at most restaurants, due to cross contamination issues, but no problems here. Even in Johnny Rockets, they said they normally go over to play makers to get them but it was not operational at that point, so they went up to wind jammers to get her some GF fries.

At all the speciality restaurants they always ask if someone has any allergies and then go through what they can do. But for some unknown reason when bread is supplied for everyone and then they bring out GF bread for her, they don’t bring out separate butter and we have to ask for it.

The only thing they don’t have is Gluten Free crackers. So if you want a cheese plate you will need to supply your own crackers.

We have found cruising the second best place for handling Gluten Free. (Best is Disney World.) Don’t worry if you don’t hear back from special diets department. The ship will handle your needs well.

• Thanks 1

DH has celiac and has been successful on Royal ships getting the appropriate food. We were most  recently on Symphony where they had many options. January will be Oasis again; we love those big ships!

Giovanni's Table prepared GF pasta when we dined there. Sorrento does  a fairly decent  GF pizza,  and Promenade has Udi's cookies for a snack.

Symphony has a free casual Mexican restaurant which is great for tacos, nachos, refried beans, etc. I enjoyed eating an afternoon lunch/snack there. I think it's called El Loco Fresh

The Royal ships have been great for DH's dietary needs, enjoy!

Barb

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

We sailed on Anthem of the seas last year and had no problems getting gluten free food for my 8 year old daughter or I (both of us have Celiacs).  The windjammer had a separate gluten free area in the very back and there was hardly ever a line!  We got gluten free crepes every single morning that were amazing!!  They had gf breads, bagels and other options there as well.  For lunch they had sandwich makings and we were also able to get gluten free pasta made to order with veggies.  Dinner we mostly ate at the main dining room and they were very helpful!  One night we ate at Jamie Oliver's and the bolognese sauce was really good!  My daughter asked about that one night in the main dining room and they brought her a bowl of gf pasta with that sauce for dinner the rest of the cruise!  My husband and I are going on an anniversary cruise in May on Symphony, and I've been doing research on GF.  It looks like they have a similar set up in the Windjammer as they did on Anthem!  Enjoy your cruise!!!