Delayed TUI Flight Barbados to Birmimghham 30/11/2018 (Azura)

lansonlady

The TOM815 Flight from Barbados to Birmingham after the 16/11 Azura  Caribbean Cruise was delayed by just over 5 hours. 

P&O gave letters to all passengers confirming the delay and supplied an email address for TUI advising what information to supply should passengers want to claim compensation.

However, P&O did not tell passengers why the the flight was originally delayed?

Having never claimed compensation for a delayed flight, I didn’t ask the reason why when P&O gathered passengers together to issue letters etc. I now know that the reason for the delay dictates entitlement to compensation.

I have sent an email to the address supplied but haven’t even received an automated receipt.

I am writing here to ask if there are any other passengers from that flight on this forum?

Has anyone sent an email to the address supplied had a reply or even a receipt of their email?

Does anyone from the flight know the detail of why the delay occured?

Thanks in advance.

We were delayed 7 hours on a flight last year.

It was very simple to claim compensation via the Resolver website, as promoted by moneysavingexpert

https://www.resolver.co.uk/

€600 each, with no fuss or drama.  I can’t remember how long it took.  Perhaps 6 weeks?  Anyway, use the pro forma letter on the website, quoting the relevant EU regulation. 

(Wonder if there’ll be anything to replace this post-Brexit?)

We were also on this flight. I sent the email to TUI as P and O said to. I’ve heard nothing!! Also no automated email. I’ve put something on the P and O page on Facebook, and a lady has responded saying she’s still waiting to hear.

this is her response!

“. hi Ann 
We were out bound from Birmingham on 30 nov. Was told to fill on line form which is difficult as it does not recognise the P&O booking ref! Few people on another forum put 12345678 for that bit and form appeared to go!! Then TA rang them and told to email aftertravel.flightdelay@tui.co.uk which I have done. No response! TA rang again and was told should be an auto response!! They sent email again from their computer. Chased tui myself yesterday and told to email this lady specifically and she will acknowledge email - nothing- chased again today and now told to leave it a week!!! Now with this Gatwick thing dare say it will take longer. So am now stuck and will try ringing next week!! Hope this helps!!!!”

im going to go to TAs after Christmas and see what they suggest.

1 hour ago, steelerannie said:

We were also on this flight. I sent the email to TUI as P and O said to. I’ve heard nothing!! Also no automated email. I’ve put something on the P and O page on Facebook, and a lady has responded saying she’s still waiting to hear.

this is her response!

“. hi Ann 
We were out bound from Birmingham on 30 nov. Was told to fill on line form which is difficult as it does not recognise the P&O booking ref! Few people on another forum put 12345678 for that bit and form appeared to go!! Then TA rang them and told to email aftertravel.flightdelay@tui.co.uk which I have done. No response! TA rang again and was told should be an auto response!! They sent email again from their computer. Chased tui myself yesterday and told to email this lady specifically and she will acknowledge email - nothing- chased again today and now told to leave it a week!!! Now with this Gatwick thing dare say it will take longer. So am now stuck and will try ringing next week!! Hope this helps!!!!”

The Gatwick incident should have no impact on the department dealing with this type of issue, as the events at Gatwick were outside of any airline's control, so no compensation will be due.

1 hour ago, steelerannie said:

this is her response!

“. hi Ann 

Thanks Ann,

Do you know why the flight was delayed in the first place? All the P&O Customer services Manager told us whilst we were in the playhouse was that the plane was “the plane was yet to leave the UK”? 

I’ll keep you informed if I hear anything. We might be able to help each other if we share information.

22 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The Gatwick incident should have no impact on the department dealing with this type of issue, as the events at Gatwick were outside of any airline's control, so no compensation will be due.

What was the reason for the Gatwick incident Wowzz?

Thanks.

Seriously - why should the reason matter (assuming it’s not ‘drone’ or ‘volcano’)?

Our flight (also Tui/Thomson) was delayed because of mechanical issues but I’m sure I didn’t have to put it anywhere on any form.  Just use the Resolver site I posted above and don’t stress.  It was simple to claim

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays/#resolvertool

Edited by eddie11
Added link

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Drones - over all the world news !

I thought you were referring to the Gatwick Flight that was delayed for 4.30 hrs on the way out to Barbados/Azura on 16/11. Same Azura cruise as the one we were on.

There were substantial delays on 4 flights both ways as I understand it.

Edited by lansonlady
Spelling mistake

3 hours ago, eddie11 said:

Seriously - why should the reason matter (assuming it’s not ‘drone’ or ‘volcano’)?

Our flight (also Tui/Thomson) was delayed because of mechanical issues but I’m sure I didn’t have to put it anywhere on any form.  Just use the Resolver site I posted above and don’t stress.  It was simple to claim

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays/#resolvertool

If the flight was delayed by something outside the airline’s control, then they are not obliged to pay compensation. 

3 hours ago, eddie11 said:

“ Can you claim for technical faults?
Until recently, airlines have always successfully argued that technical faults or maintenance issues were exceptional circumstances. They were therefore outside of the control of the airline and - crucially - passengers would be unable to get any recompense for the delay. However, the Court of Appeal held up a verdict against budget flight operator Jet2 in October 2014 over a claim for a delayed flight caused by a technical fault with the aircraft. So now, if you claim for a flight delayed by more than three hours, the airline cannot use maintenance issues or technical faults as an excuse not to pay up.

Can you claim for a delayed incoming plane or late flight crew?
This is within the airline's control and therefore you should be entitled to compensation. If the issue was caused by an issue outside of their control, provided the airline has done everything in their power to try and provide a plane, then they can argue that the delay is not their fault. As a result, these cases will be looked at by the airline on a case-by-case basis.

Can you claim for diverted flights?
If the diversion was outside of the operator's control, you cannot claim compensation.

Can you claim for bad weather?
This is outside of the airline's control and you cannot claim compensation.

Can you claim for air traffic control delays?
This is outside of the airline's control and you, therefore, cannot claim compensation.”

Presumably, if P&O handed you the claim form it felt you had reason to claim?  

Yet another link, and my last attempt to encourage you to just go ahead and claim.  What have you got to lose?

https://www.resolver.co.uk/freeadvice/services/19324/issues/115/issue_types/flights-delayed-complaints?territory=Default

1 hour ago, eddie11 said:

“ Can you claim for technical faults?
Until recently, airlines have always successfully argued that technical faults or maintenance issues were exceptional circumstances. They were therefore outside of the control of the airline and - crucially - passengers would be unable to get any recompense for the delay. However, the Court of Appeal held up a verdict against budget flight operator Jet2 in October 2014 over a claim for a delayed flight caused by a technical fault with the aircraft. So now, if you claim for a flight delayed by more than three hours, the airline cannot use maintenance issues or technical faults as an excuse not to pay up.

Can you claim for a delayed incoming plane or late flight crew?
This is within the airline's control and therefore you should be entitled to compensation. If the issue was caused by an issue outside of their control, provided the airline has done everything in their power to try and provide a plane, then they can argue that the delay is not their fault. As a result, these cases will be looked at by the airline on a case-by-case basis.

Can you claim for diverted flights?
If the diversion was outside of the operator's control, you cannot claim compensation.

Can you claim for bad weather?
This is outside of the airline's control and you cannot claim compensation.

Can you claim for air traffic control delays?
This is outside of the airline's control and you, therefore, cannot claim compensation.”

Presumably, if P&O handed you the claim form it felt you had reason to claim?  

Yet another link, and my last attempt to encourage you to just go ahead and claim.  What have you got to lose?

https://www.resolver.co.uk/freeadvice/services/19324/issues/115/issue_types/flights-delayed-complaints?territory=Default

Thank you Eddie,

I really appreciate your help.

I put a claim in on 10/12/18/ following the instructions issued by P&O. ie direct to TUI. As did the other poster.

Neither of us have received an acknowledgement of our email/claim. 

23 hours ago, lansonlady said:

Were you on it Suzieanna?

Do you know why it was delayed out of interest?

I wasn’t no.   We were on the Farewell to Barbados tour, and there were some Birmingham bound people on it.   They were taken back to the 

Ship because the delay was going to be too much for sitting round the airport? 

Thank you Suzieanna, 

We were the same. P&O were very good, they gave everyone a cabin to use whilst we waited onboard ship and had dinner before we left. We still had a lengthy wait at the airport though, which was mainly closed. We could buy a drink though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know Steelerannie,

I had an email today from Tui to say that we will receive our compensation within the next 28days.

I hope you have had contact too.

Edited by lansonlady
Wrong name entered

I’ve now had an acknowledgement from TUi saying we are entitled to  compensation, but need to fill in another online form. I tried numerous times but it will not accept the booking ref. I put a post on TUIs Facebook page who told me to contact my TA. I’ve done this today and been told that as P&O charter the whole flight, there is no numerical reference!!

I feel like I’m going round in circles. I’ve emailed the original flight delay email (given us by P&O) again as advised by TUI customer Service on the phone to our TA this morning.

On 1/4/2019 at 7:47 PM, lansonlady said:

Just to let you know Steelerannie,

I had an email today from Tui to say that we will receive our compensation within the next 28days.

I hope you have had contact too.

So pleased you’ve heard something. I’m just getting fed up. What did you put for the booking reference number? 

I just sent in an email using the P&O booking reference, as P&O instructed. I haven’t been asked to fill in any other forms? The TUI email just says that we will receive  the compensation within the next 28days. 

Edited by lansonlady

13 hours ago, lansonlady said:

I just sent in an email using the P&O booking reference, as P&O instructed. I haven’t been asked to fill in any other forms? The TUI email just says that we will receive  the compensation within the next 28days. 

That’s what I did as well, but I then got another email saying we were entitled to compensation but we needed to fill in another form. It was this 2nd form that wouldn’t accept my booking reference number. I’m going to ring TUI today and see what’s happening. 

On 1/7/2019 at 7:31 PM, lansonlady said:

Did the form ask for additional information that you had not put in the email?

Perhaps I’m going to get another email with the form to complete?

Apparently they couldn’t confirm my postal address, so I neede to fill the form in online.