MSC Divina vs Celebrity S-Class Ships

Hlitner

On 12/28/2018 at 1:51 AM, avp1234 said:

We are loyal Celebrity cruisers but are seriously considering trying MSC and the Yacht Club.  With the rising prices of everything on Celebrity from specialty restaurants to drink packages and everything in between, I've been thinking about it for a while.  We're sailing Celebrity in 3 weeks for my 50th. I got the move up offer and at the time there were aqua, low level suites (which really have few benefits), and Royal Suites.  We're in a verandah, so I bid on all, and bid pretty good bids.  They weren't low level bids. I bid mid way (one was $2000 per person). I admit, I got excited because it was my birthday and got my hopes up just a little. I really wanted to try the suite life, and hey-it's my birthday. Why not splurge!  I even called captains club and told them I'm celebrating a "big" one and had bid.  Was there any way they could take a look at it.  Pretty much nothing they could do, so it is what it is. I can definitely tell you the captain club member doesn't hold much weight.  I let that whole bidding thing get me excited and now...ehhh. I know-first world problems. I would have just been happy to get offer accepted to Aqua class, but those went to other people, as all rooms disappeared.  I understand with Celebrity, the bottom line comes down to what's best for the company. That's business, but it also has me looking at other lines ,whereas before I only cruised Celebrity. That was also partly for the loyalty program,  which is losing benefits, and that plays into the decision too,  I have a strong feeling after our Jan 18th cruise in 3 weeks on the Reflection, our next cruise won't be with Celebrity. Ok-rant and cry babying over ha! 

We were not notified until 3 days prior to our cruise that we were turned down for our bid up.  So, keep your hopes up.

Rollie

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:32 PM, Hlitner said:

We recently returned from 21 days on MSC's Divina (in the Caribbean) where we had booked a small suite in their so-called "Yacht Club."  For many years we have always taken a Celebrity Caribbean cruise between Thanksgiving (USA) and Christmas.  But for the past 3-4 years we had noticed some major degradations in service/quality on Celebrity....so last year we decided to give MSC a try.  Our intent was to compare MSC's Yacht Club to Celebrity (and Aqua Class) and make a decision whether to book the Silhouette for Dec 2019 or go back on the Divina.  About 2 weeks into our 3 week Divina cruise, DW and I debated the future cruise decision.  The Silhouette has long been one of our favorite X ships and we could have easily booked the 12 day Caribbean cruise in any cabin class.  The Divina offered an 11 day cruise about the same time.  Although we have long been fans of X (we are Elite Plus) our decision was surprisingly easy, we booked the Divina, again in their Yacht Club and even kept the same cabin.  To be honest, it was not even a contest.  Within the Yacht Club (a dedicated section of the ship with its own gorgeous lounge, sun deck, and restaurant (with its own galley and chefs) the food, service and even atmosphere blew away anything we have experienced on Celebrity...especially during the past few years during the era of Celebrity cut-backs.   Once we left the confines of the Yacht Club to experience other facets of the Divina, the service and quality were somewhat below what we experience on Celebrity.  On the other hand, we could easily return to the sanctuary of our Yacht Club area, use our cards to enter the exclusive section of the ship, and immediately feel like we were truly on a private yacht.   And for those that enjoy suite benefits on X we would mention that on MSC, the dedicated restaurant is open for lunch every day.....even when in port.  And the menus in that restaurant are not just slight modifications to the regular MDR, but totally different with everything prepared to order (especially on the slow port days).

It actually caused DW and I some pain not to return to Celebrity.  There are many things about the S-Class ships that continue to make them our favorite vessels.  But those positive aspects cannot overcome all the cut-backs that seem to be the new philosophy at X.  Will we again cruise on Celebrity?  Most definitely.  But,  on the other hand, our next three booked cruises are on Seabourn, Princess and MSC.  5 years ago all those cruises would have been on X.  Just saying.   We hope some at Celebrity read this post, wake up, and restore more of the quality we used to find in the MDR, Aqua Class, etc.

The regular US cruise lines had best be prepared for the competition provided by MSC, not to mention the soon to come Virgin Cruises.  MSC is actually adding about 2 new builds every year for the next decade.  By 2026 they will likely have 29 vessels, nearly all of which are near new.  Besides larger vessels (3000-4000 passengers) they are building 4 smaller luxury vessels that will likely compete with lines such as Seabourn and Silverseas.   MSC will be adding their third Florida based ship (Mergaviglia) next fall.   While the line continues to attract many Europeans (they are familiar with the line and prefer the International flavor) more and more North Americans are discovering this company.  They are still tweaking their Florida-based products to make them more "Americanized" but we really hope they keep much of their Italian identity.  The pastas and risottos offered in Le Muse (the Yacht Club's private restaurant) are simply fantastic.

Hank

Wow, we are long time Celebrity (and prior to that D+ on RCCL) Elite.  We are really considering a jump to MSC, and have a Divinia trip in mind this coming December.  REALLY glad to read your review of the Yacht Club.  I just read this and will now peruse the rest of the thread...thanks so very much for your review!!

1 hour ago, seahags said:

Wow, we are long time Celebrity (and prior to that D+ on RCCL) Elite.  We are really considering a jump to MSC, and have a Divinia trip in mind this coming December.  REALLY glad to read your review of the Yacht Club.  I just read this and will now peruse the rest of the thread...thanks so very much for your review!!

Just a friendly warning that the YC has become very popular and tends to sell-out, far in advance, on many cruises.   In fact we recently looked at booking a relatively late booking for a particular cruise in May only to discover that the YC was totally sold out.

Hank

Does anyone have menus from msc’s main dining room?  Also any drink menus from what the yacht club allows?   Entertainment?  We are actually leaning toward celebrity from Rccl but do miss the Rccl entertainment on the oasis class ships?  Also, we enjoy the solarium on the oasis class. How would the yacht club compare?

very intrigued so appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

We've been on the Divina twice, once in the YC and once in Aurea. Unless you want super high end liquor, everything is included everywhere on the ship, including the mini bar in the cabin.This is in the YC.Aurea has limitations.The food in LeMuse is fantastic, and sometimes they even have some of the specialty restaurant items on it. You can also get your newspaper delivered every morning. It is the whole paper, not a recap. I got the NY post, because I love their sport page.If you go in the YC, you definitely won't be disappointed.

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Just a friendly warning that the YC has become very popular and tends to sell-out, far in advance, on many cruises.   In fact we recently looked at booking a relatively late booking for a particular cruise in May only to discover that the YC was totally sold out.

Hank

Thanks so much, Hank!  We're looking at this December and September/October 2020.  I think we're about to make the decision!  Looking at the Divinia this year and the Splendida in Europe next year...four of us travel together (two couples) and we're all pretty excited about the change.  It's a hard decision after so many cruises and years.  We'll apply for their matching levels as soon as we book!

And to all who have posted their experiences, it's really helpful.  Hopefully we won't miss Luminae too much, LOL!

...off to look at air now!  Cheers everyone!😎🌨️