Backup plan for glacier dog sled Skagway

tampagirl2

I’m planning on booking the helicopter dog sledding in Skagway.  I see that this is often cancelled due to weather.  What’s a good back up plan?  I’d be okay with doing dog sledding on a cart I guess?  Can this be booked last minute?  We will be a family of 4 with a 5 and 6 year old.

• Like 1

There are alternatives if you need a backup plan and you are willing to do the cart on wheels.

my favorite would be to rent a car and go to the tutshi dog camp which is about fortyfive miles north of here. It is the most reasonable deal, overall, for a family like yours, even when you factor in the rental car.

this way you get to see a lot of nice scenery on the way to the camp and you can even go on as far as Emerald Lake after you visit the dog camp.

this one is not sold on the ship so you can go to the NPS here in Skagway and get all of the information you will need in case the you get weathered out of the helicopter trip. The least that can happen is that the kids can become Junior Rangers while you are at the Park Service!  None of the Park Service costs you!

DD

The alternatives  for a canceled tour,   last minute are up to you.   www.skagway.com   is a start,   IF you have an  early am,  cancellation,   then Dave's car rental suggestion is ideal-   BUT,  a reservation is necessary-   so if going this route-   be sure to cancel the car,  if your tour goes as scheduled.   This really isn't an option-   if you have scheduled your tour later.   

IF Skagway is your first port-   then I'd suggest you have the contacts for Juneau vendors  to reschedule-    contact them immediately  for availability.   Be willing to split up as well.   

• Like 1

Thanks so much for this.  I’ll try to book the helicopter soon.  We actually do Juneau 1st and I’ve been going back and forth on which port to book the helicopter.  We are doing land portion on our own after the cruise, so thought a back up plan for the helicopter would be to book at Knik River near Anchorage.

We were thinking maybe doing Mendenhall and Nugget Falls walk in Juneau and possibly a whale watching tour.  But maybe we can do whale watching in Vancouver instead? We are there 2 days precruise.

In Skagway, if we don’t do helicopter maybe we’ll rent a car?

8 hours ago, tampagirl2 said:

Thanks so much for this.  I’ll try to book the helicopter soon.  We actually do Juneau 1st and I’ve been going back and forth on which port to book the helicopter.  We are doing land portion on our own after the cruise, so thought a back up plan for the helicopter would be to book at Knik River near Anchorage.

We were thinking maybe doing Mendenhall and Nugget Falls walk in Juneau and possibly a whale watching tour.  But maybe we can do whale watching in Vancouver instead? We are there 2 days precruise.

I prefer whale watches out of Victoria vs Vancouver,  which have been more successful for me.   But,  I'll always pick Port Hardy/Telegraph Cove over the southern pods.  

Whale watches out of Juneau are 100% sightings of humpbacks.    So,  with your searching,  determine what is your preference-   or  do both.  :)   Very very different animals.    

4 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

I prefer whale watches out of Victoria vs Vancouver,  which have been more successful for me.   But,  I'll always pick Port Hardy/Telegraph Cove over the southern pods.  

Whale watches out of Juneau are 100% sightings of humpbacks.    So,  with your searching,  determine what is your preference-   or  do both.  :)   Very very different animals.    

Thank you! Unfortunately we won’t be in Victoria, so it’s either Vancouver or Juneau I think.  My 6 year old son is really wanting to see Orcas, so I am leaning towards Vancouver.  We do also have the 6 hr Major Marine tour booked in Seward that says there is a chance of whale sightings?  We are going I’m June if that makes a difference.

On 12/29/2018 at 6:43 PM, tampagirl2 said:

I have the same thought process as you. Since the excursion is one of the most cancelled, I’m booked to do it in Skagway, and if it gets cancelled, I’ll try and get on it in Juneau. I’d rather go out to Juneau since it would be on Mendenhall Glacier, but I do not want to take any chance.

Also, look into whale watching in Vancouver. I’ve done it and I saw otters, seals, pods of orcas, and a humpback whale.

6 hours ago, PittsburghNative said:

I have the same thought process as you. Since the excursion is one of the most cancelled, I’m booked to do it in Skagway, and if it gets cancelled, I’ll try and get on it in Juneau. I’d rather go out to Juneau since it would be on Mendenhall Glacier, but I do not want to take any chance.

Also, look into whale watching in Vancouver. I’ve done it and I saw otters, seals, pods of orcas, and a humpback whale.

Thank you! It seems there isn’t as much info on the Vancouver whale watch, so that’s good to hear.

On 1/1/2019 at 1:59 PM, PittsburghNative said:

Juneau  has 3  companies-   that do the glacier dog sledding.   There is NO advantage choosing  .  " Mendenhall",  and you will be eliminating 2 of the companies.    Depends how much of a priority this is for you??    But not a good choice if you are scrambling for an empty seat 

Because the dogs are in small area often the helos can still fly just not to the dogs. Check with vender before hand to inquire if they would offer you a different flight without the dogs and decide if you would be interested taking a glacier flight and getting partial refund.