Book HA shore excursions before cruise using OBC

stromer

I have a lot of onboard credit (OBC) that I want to use to pay for HA shore excursions.  I want to book them several weeks before the cruise so I be assured of getting what I want.  I just found out that I have to pay for these with a credit card at the time of booking.  The reservations rep does not know if I can use my OBC to cancel out these credit card charges.  Does anyone know how to do this?  Do I have to wait to get on board to book these using OBC - thus reducing the chances of getting good excursions?    

Thanks, Rick

On Board Credit can only be used on board.

Your choices are to book---and pay---in advance, but be sure you get what you want, or wait until onboard and pay with OBC, but risk the desired excursions are filled.

I asked this before and was told the same thing.  I had heard that a lot (if not most) shore excursions are full by the time you get on the ship so it is best to buy the ones you really want.  So I did.  Now we have $150 OBC to use some other way.  Maybe another shore excursion, or a cabana or one night in a specialty restaurant.

If there is an excursion I really want, I book ahead and pay for it.  In 27 HAL cruises all over the world, only once did I not get an excursion I wanted: Kodiak Highlights and Russian Tea.  I think it was because transportation is limited in some small Alaska ports.  I was initially upset, but found another tour that was great!  To say that a lot ( if not most)  excursions are full  by the time you get to the ship is not true. There have been cruises where I have had a huge amount of OBC, so  I  book excursions the minute I get on board.  OBC  also can quickly be eaten up by the Hotel Service Charge.

Karen

1 hour ago, Betty in Cozumel said:

I asked this before and was told the same thing.  I had heard that a lot (if not most) shore excursions are full by the time you get on the ship so it is best to buy the ones you really want.  So I did.  Now we have $150 OBC to use some other way.  Maybe another shore excursion, or a cabana or one night in a specialty restaurant.

• Like 1

I sure wish HAL would let us use the OBC at least for tours.  Now we have to pay upfront for the tours we want to be sure to get and then we sometimes end up having excess OBC.

Are you listening HAL???  Help us out please - some of the other cruise lines allow this already.

11 hours ago, Loreto said:

If there is an excursion I really want, I book ahead and pay for it.  In 27 HAL cruises all over the world, only once did I not get an excursion I wanted: Kodiak Highlights and Russian Tea.  I think it was because transportation is limited in some small Alaska ports.  I was initially upset, but found another tour that was great!  To say that a lot ( if not most)  excursions are full  by the time you get to the ship is not true. There have been cruises where I have had a huge amount of OBC, so  I  book excursions the minute I get on board.  OBC  also can quickly be eaten up by the Hotel Service Charge.

Karen

What is hotel service charge?  If you meant gratuities then that would work except ours are a perk. 

1 hour ago, Betty in Cozumel said:

What is hotel service charge?  If you meant gratuities then that would work except ours are a perk. 

Hi Betty,

Lucky you to get the gratuities (hotel service charge) covered for your cruise!  I got that for my Alaska Oosterdam cruise this coming July. I have all my excursions selected, so I know just what to book when I get on board.   

Karen

34 minutes ago, Loreto said:

Hi Betty,

Lucky you to get the gratuities (hotel service charge) covered for your cruise!  I got that for my Alaska Oosterdam cruise this coming July. I have all my excursions selected, so I know just what to book when I get on board.   

Karen

We booked during the Black Friday sale and got pre-paid gratuities, $150 OBC plus a $25 beverage card for both my husband & I.

Just checked with my online agency and the cruise we booked is now about $400/pp cheaper.  😞  It would still have been cheaper even after paying for our "free" perks.  I guess we should have waited until the last minute.  We sail March 3rd.

Edited by Betty in Cozumel