Starting second week on Regal Dec 23-Jan 6

h-sar

It’s 9:00 and everyone is off having breakfast. Rather than everybody trying to navigate the mayhem of the breakfast buffet on disembarkation day as one group, we all pretty much just leave our cabins separately and then everybody meets at an agreed upon time on deck five in the Piazza five minutes before we want to get off. This way, we do not have to deal with each other’s crankiness on the last day and it’s just easier to eat and move around when our group is split into two or three smaller groups rather than one larger one. 

Some of the headwaiters have been walking around the buffet area taking down the Christmas decorations. They were up before we got on on December 23rd, so they have been up for the full two weeks of our cruise. It added a really nice touch to the ambience of the cruise and I’m glad they were up for the full second week.  Seeing the decorations taken down is like a tangible reflection of our mood as we leave, LOL.  Decided against the quick trip to Ross, due to laziness and probably some fear of ridicule by the children! 

For  those asking about theme nights in the buffet, unfortunately, I did not keep track of all of them and which days they occurred. I know Saturday, yesterday, was Tex-Mex night, which was a bit disappointing. First, it’s Tex-mex. Second, much of what they serve are the daily lunch Mexican selections from the cream coloured buffet  which they have simply moved over to the dinner side. Of course, there are a few other new selections, but nothing to write home about.  German night was midway through the cruise and it looked pretty good. I always enjoy the Italian night more than just about any other theme. 

Edited by h-sar

UWe left the ship at 9:30 and after 5 min spent retrieving our bags, we headed toward the global entry sign, only to be told by the attendant that we needed to join the general line. Now, having done this a few times, we know this is not true, so I found a different attendant who led us to the global entry line where we were able to bypass the incredibly long snaky line of passengers waiting to go through customs. Why can’t whoever supervises the terminal attendants get everybody on the same page concerning global entry? It’s not like it started yesterday! Less than five minutes later, we were out of the terminal. 

Instead of Ubering, we decided to take a taxi as there was absolutely no lineup and there was a minivan available right away. Taxi fare was just under $22 and we were at our gate and in our seats at 10:45. With six or seven other ships in port this morning, not bad time at all. All in all, it was a pretty  stress free morning. Well, other than the 15 minutes at the airport spend shuffling things around and getting them under 50 pounds.  Can’t tell you how much our children enjoy the bag shufflle at the airport. 🙄🙄. I don’t either, but after a cruise , it’s the only place to do it with all of the toiletries that we needed this morning and the bags gone the night before.  Just glad to see that we were far from the only ones! 

Thanks, everyone, for following along and all the lovely comments!  Your posts were great incentive to keep going with the review. And now I have a very detailed documentation, well a journal really, of this wonderful family holiday. Now, we get to go back to our regular lives where work and school will keep everybody so occupied that sometimes it feels like we are not even living in the same house! 

Have a wonderful 2019! Hope to see some of you on the Sky next Christmas. 

Edited by h-sar

Thanks again for your great review and awesome pics. We are sort of thinking of going to Blue Hole so I really appreciate the photos of the excursions.

I hope you arrived home safely and the cold wasn't too much of a shock!

Many thanks for your excellent review.  I know a review is a lot of work and you've done an excellent one.  

Regal is our favourite ship - I always find it interesting what 'bothers' other people.  In this case I agreed with you 100 %. 

Happy new Year - perhaps I'll run into you sometime in Edmonton.  

On 12/31/2018 at 10:03 AM, h-sar said:

Horror of horrors - the recipe for the agnolotti (the creamy veal ravioli) in Alfredo’s has been messed with! It is no longer the luscious velvety cream coloured sauce. Now, it’s sort of a brownish pumpkin colour and the taste is not the same 😢😢. Anyone else experience this? I had it twice and it was the same both times. 

Yes! I was disappointed in the color and the taste is no longer the same. 

46 minutes ago, Dawniepoo said:

Yes! I was disappointed in the color and the taste is no longer the same. 

Here’s the visual comparison. Makes me sad to look at it. It was one of my top 5 food items on the Regal. 

Christmas 2018 and Christmas 2017 😢😢😢😢

8DCC72BA-40D7-4470-A2D4-AC883C605E80.jpeg

FD590740-0E73-46DB-AC95-610DA65B3325.png

We got the beloved pizza recipe back; maybe we can get the original agnolotti back, too! 

Edited by h-sar
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 9:11 PM, jaynak said:

Many thanks for your excellent review.  I know a review is a lot of work and you've done an excellent one.  

Regal is our favourite ship - I always find it interesting what 'bothers' other people.  In this case I agreed with you 100 %. 

Happy new Year - perhaps I'll run into you sometime in Edmonton.  

Nice to see a fellow Albertan on the thread! 

On 1/7/2019 at 5:47 AM, MaryBethV said:

Thank you for sharing your week with us and for all the information! We are boarding the Regal in February - our first Princess cruise. 🙂 

You will be a Regal convert! Enjoy your cruise and have a slice of poolside pizza for me.

4 hours ago, Pati said:

We enjoyed the regal New Years cruise. Great weather, great time.

It was a fabulous time, wasn’t it?! Hopefully, we’ll cruise together again some day. 

On 1/6/2019 at 6:21 AM, Host CJSKIDS said:

Your live from has been incredible!

Have a safe flight home.  

Thank you! It was a looong travel day (14 hrs in total 😲). But the two stressful days on either end were well worth the two weeks of sheer bliss. 

On 1/5/2019 at 12:21 PM, h-sar said:

Chair hogs have now started hogging most of the bigger tables (seating for 6-8) on the pool deck. They put down towels and a few belongings. These have had no people since they were claimed about 4 hrs ago! very inconsiderate 

The ice sculpting demo started at noon at poolside. Happens once a cruise, so watch  out for it in the Patter. 

0C452DD1-6B84-4B1F-A288-189336ECE1C7.jpeg

EED465B8-CD87-426B-907D-9016AE73E6B8.jpeg

9C18570F-5F1F-47D8-9584-8E3478371813.jpeg

I wait the allotted time in which chairs can be left unattended and then I remove the towels from them.  The signs are posted and I really don't care if they show up later and give me and my husband dirty looks.  Follow the rules people.

1 hour ago, Baystate said:

I wait the allotted time in which chairs can be left unattended and then I remove the towels from them.  The signs are posted and I really don't care if they show up later and give me and my husband dirty looks.  Follow the rules people.

I don’t blame you.  That is just not right and so inconsiderate of people,  Heading to the ship Sunday....I don’t recall signs last year.  What is the allotted time?

12 hours ago, beachmets said:

I don’t blame you.  That is just not right and so inconsiderate of people,  Heading to the ship Sunday....I don’t recall signs last year.  What is the allotted time?

The signs are on the wall just as you enter the outside of the lido deck.  I believe it's 30 minutes.  Everyone has a right to the those loungers, chairs, and tables, and when I leave I love to see someone smile as they find an empty seat.

On 1/9/2019 at 11:07 AM, Baystate said:

The signs are on the wall just as you enter the outside of the lido deck.  I believe it's 30 minutes.  Everyone has a right to the those loungers, chairs, and tables, and when I leave I love to see someone smile as they find an empty seat.

I just start my timer & show it to the deck attendant and have them remove articles from the chair.

I got into a fight with some guy last trip because he was in the gym & wanted his chair back when he returned after a hour had gone by. 

• Like 1