Final decision Civitavecchia to Rome...maybe!

roupa

I think we will take the train from the port into Rome...taxi to our hotel, or even Metro as it looks close to our hotel...I am not expecting to be overloaded with luggage.(carry-on with wheels and midsize with wheels.) Not expensive and hopefully a relaxing ride watching the countryside go by.

Thoughts?  Anybody taken this route?

We went the other way several years ago (hotel in Rome to the train station, then train to Civitavecchia) and found it easy.  Train ride was about an hour.  Your trip should be easier since you are under no pressure to arrive in time to catch the ship.

Have a great cruise! 😎

1 hour ago, roupa said:

I think we will take the train from the port into Rome...taxi to our hotel, or even Metro as it looks close to our hotel...I am not expecting to be overloaded with luggage.(carry-on with wheels and midsize with wheels.) Not expensive and hopefully a relaxing ride watching the countryside go by.

Thoughts?  Anybody taken this route?

If you're planning to take one of the Regionale trains, I'm not sure you'll find it 'peaceful' -- there are a lot of stops and it can get quite crowded during peak times (e.g., everyone trying to get to Rome in the morning and back to Civi at the end of the day). If you can take it leisurely and try for a slightly later train, I think it will be more pleasant.

I wanted to take the train SO much! But with two children, and 5 pieces of luggage,  and an early flight upon our return we considered it to be wiser to have a private car meet us right at the cruise terminal.

For anybody who’s done it, is it easy to go from the cruise terminal to the train station? How long does it take? 

4 minutes ago, Tapi said:

I wanted to take the train SO much! But with two children, and 5 pieces of luggage,  and an early flight upon our return we considered it to be wiser to have a private car meet us right at the cruise terminal.

For anybody who’s done it, is it easy to go from the cruise terminal to the train station? How long does it take? 

You catch the free port shuttle from your ship to the port entrance. Then take a dedicated local bus (minimal charge) to the train station. Timing depends on the shuttle and the bus, so I would allow 30-45 minutes to get from the pier to the train station. (It could be much quicker if your connections all mesh.)

I wouldn't recommend the train if the airport is your final destination. There is no direct train from Civi to FCO and so you'd have to get off at some point and board a second train. Too many changeovers for me, much as I like public transportation -- but if I'm trying to get to the airport I'd prefer less variability in my plans. 

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

You catch the free port shuttle from your ship to the port entrance. Then take a dedicated local bus (minimal charge) to the train station. Timing depends on the shuttle and the bus, so I would allow 30-45 minutes to get from the pier to the train station. (It could be much quicker if your connections all mesh.)

I wouldn't recommend the train if the airport is your final destination. There is no direct train from Civi to FCO and so you'd have to get off at some point and board a second train. Too many changeovers for me, much as I like public transportation -- but if I'm trying to get to the airport I'd prefer less variability in my plans. 

Thanks for the detailed information. Maybe we’ll do it from the hotel to the port next time, and if we’re traveling without kids, and/or a lot of luggage! 😀

20 hours ago, roupa said:

........... and hopefully a relaxing ride watching the countryside go by.

Err, probably not :classic_sad:

Especially with luggage.:classic_ohmy:

The local trains are packed with cruisers heading to Rome on a day-trip from the many ships that port in Civi each day.  A lot have to stand for the whole journey, and your luggage will be a serious impediment to you and those around you. Whilst the risks of theft are usually grossly over-stated, as cruisemom's post there are a lot of intermediate stations - and that's an opportunity for a thief to slip off the train with someone else's unguarded luggage. :classic_ohmy:

We've taken the train in both directions on several occasions, it's by far the cheapest option - but that's without luggage.

We've also taken the train from Rome to an embarkation in Civi. And that of course was with luggage.

Not a problem, because we were a couple of hours ahead of the herd making their way back to other ships

So I suggest you either

- take cruisemom's advice, disembark in your own sweet time after a leisurely breakfast and take a later train. There are several stops in the city before the train reaches Termini, including San Pietro and Ostiense, so check which is most convenient for your hotel.

- or pre-book seats on an express train.

BTW, it's definitely not the world's most scenic rail journey.

JB :classic_smile: