MDR Dress code for men

ChrissieCee

We have our first sailing on Solstice in March, and I have questions about the dress code for DH.  Is it acceptable for men to wear dress shorts (not denim, not too short) in the MDR for breakfast and lunch?  Also, are polo shirts ok for the non-chic evenings with trousers?  They have a collar, but are short sleeved.  Or is short sleeved unacceptable for dinner?

It seems so much easier for women!  A few sundresses and a cocktail dress, and our evenings are sorted!

Yes, this is fine. I have worn shorts in the MDR at Breakfast, ahead of a day's sightseeing. No shorts in the evening.

no problem, also, wearing a smart polo shirt in the evening.  Again, I have done this regularly.

6 minutes ago, DYKWIA said:

Yes, this is fine. I have worn shorts in the MDR at Breakfast, ahead of a day's sightseeing. No shorts in the evening.

no problem, also, wearing a smart polo shirt in the evening.  Again, I have done this regularly.

Thank you for the response, DYKWIA.  There’s so much information on the dress code on these forums, but it was difficult to find those specific answers.

2 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

Jeans (no rips or tears) are within the Celebrity Smart Casual dresscode.

Thank you, Ben.  DH was pleased to hear that, although I suspect that in the Pacific Islands in mid March, he may be happier in light trousers!

Yes....you can wear what you have described.  We saw a lot of shorts in the MDR for breakfast and lunch (and also t-shirts, though I would wear more "dressy" t-shirts).  Being in the Caribbean, I lived in shorts except for the evenings.

As others have said, no shorts in the MDR for dinner.

I will add that on our 12/2018 Silhouette cruise, I saw folks enter the MDR with baseball caps and be asked to remove them (not allowed!). This was for breakfast and lunch.  Did not see anyone try to wear a head to dinner, though.

5 hours ago, DENIE said:

Yes....you can wear what you have described.  We saw a lot of shorts in the MDR for breakfast and lunch (and also t-shirts, though I would wear more "dressy" t-shirts).  Being in the Caribbean, I lived in shorts except for the evenings.

As others have said, no shorts in the MDR for dinner.

I will add that on our 12/2018 Silhouette cruise, I saw folks enter the MDR with baseball caps and be asked to remove them (not allowed!). This was for breakfast and lunch.  Did not see anyone try to wear a head to dinner, though.

Thanks Denie.  I’d imagine DH will have to be coerced into trousers for dinner, because he lives in shorts too!  

On the December 21 Reflection cruise on a "Chic" night, I saw two men wearing white tee shirts at dinner time in the MDR.  I doubt they were the only two.

On an Equinox cruise last September women wearing open toed shoes were denied entry to the sail away event on the ship's prow.  Celebrity can enforce rules;  they choose not to selectively.  Or does Captain Kate rule with a strict hand?:classic_biggrin:

30 minutes ago, BosoxI said:

On the December 21 Reflection cruise on a "Chic" night, I saw two men wearing white tee shirts at dinner time in the MDR.  I doubt they were the only two.

On an Equinox cruise last September women wearing open toed shoes were denied entry to the sail away event on the ship's prow.  Celebrity can enforce rules;  they choose not to selectively.  Or does Captain Kate rule with a strict hand?:classic_biggrin:

I brought along one suit for 3 consecutive cruises on Celebrity.  Figured I would have separate dining mates for each cruise.  I was wrong, but that’s another story.

I could have left the suit at home.  On chic evenings most dressed up a bit more than normal but for guys, as long as you had on a clean shirt, pants and shoes there was no problem.  I have no problem with this personally.  In our area we had everything from Tux, sports coat to short sleeved shirts and polo shirts.  No one seemed to mind.   It was, to each his own.  This worked perfectly for me.  After 43 days and an obvious mistake dry cleaning my suit down one size,  I had no option but a long sleeve shirt.

I know my spouse loved the fact that she could wear sandles on dressy nights as her medical problems with her feet would stop here from wearing heels.

What’s clear to me is that pretty much anything is accepted if it involves long pants and a collar (the T-shirt thing above seems a real anomaly).  But since I will be making a bit of effort on evening chic nights, the least DH can do is is a dress shirt - I will leave the tie as a choice for him.  Choose your battles, I say! 😉😂

11 minutes ago, ChrissieCee said:

What’s clear to me is that pretty much anything is accepted if it involves long pants and a collar (the T-shirt thing above seems a real anomaly).  But since I will be making a bit of effort on evening chic nights, the least DH can do is is a dress shirt - I will leave the tie as a choice for him.  Choose your battles, I say! 😉😂

Well said.  

I also think the t-shirts were an anomaly.  Perhaps they had a tux printed on the front.

1 hour ago, BosoxI said:

Why were women not allowed to wear open toed shoes for the sail away event?

1 hour ago, sleepless said:

Why were women not allowed to wear open toed shoes for the sail away event?

Pretty sure that’s a safety thing. Same as behind the scenes tours, etc. Men wouldn’t have been allowed either, BTW. 

6 hours ago, Edward51 said:

Well said.  

I also think the t-shirts were an anomaly.  Perhaps they had a tux printed on the front.

Uh-uh.  White tee shirts.  No collar.  Chic nights are a joke but this has been adequately discussed

4 hours ago, markeb said:

Pretty sure that’s a safety thing. Same as behind the scenes tours, etc. Men wouldn’t have been allowed either, BTW. 

There are a few steps that could prove challenging to a very few people,  but Equinox is the first time I had seen the rule enforced.  I don't believe anyone complained as the invitation makes the requirement clear.  My point is that Celebrity can enforce it's rules when it wants to

Edited by BosoxI