Maiden/ inaugural cruises

little britain

Thanks for your responses, which have led me NOT to book!!  You're right about the hassle in getting to Hamburg.  We would need to fly out the day before and the times of the flights and trains to London airports or Manchester just wasn't worth the effort.  From Southampton back to Hull would be a breeze in comparison!

Beamafar - I agree, the build-up to Meraviglia was immense.  The lack of for Grandiosa is due in part to it no longer being a new concept?  When the news first came out about the first Grandiosa sailing, I  was interested, as I wasn't able to sail the Belissimma.  I then saw the prices and itinerary!  November sailings to the Med, for 10 nights,  for approx £2100 for an inside cabin.  We have sailed in November before, for a similar price, but that was to the Caribbean!

I totally with your statement about the Med.  We too are getting fed-up with the same Med ports.  We managed to do MSC to Tunis.  We were were on her the month before the terrorirst attacks but I don't know if I would be brave enough to return if MSC ever offered it.

We are going to stick with Costa for October but are sailing on the Fortuna (dates coincide with our son's birthday) added to that, on 27th October in Barcelona LOADS of ships are departing from there, including the new Sky Princess, hoping she'll set off some fireworks!.  We were then going to jump ship and embark Costa Smeralda's for her christening but we have changed that to New Year's eve next year.  We will just disembark in Genoa, go to Savona and watch the Costa Smeralda christening from the dock side/hotel.  I also agree about lack of interest in new ships.  Again, I used to be interested and followed all the latest info but now there are just FAR too many ship launches for me to keep up!!

Re Virtuosa - we have booked her for Christmas next year, before joining the Smeralda.  The only way we can do the Med now is over the festive or Easter period.  Have you thought of doing that to alleviate some of the Med fatigue?!! At least the shops/vibe/ship is set up for Christmas.  

Have a great time on the Seaview.

We did a Christmas cruise on Orchestra in 2017, P - it was the worst MSC cruise we'd ever been on!  It was fine up until Christmas morning, but it went downhill after that.

Looking forward to Seaview, thanks!  (This day 10 weeks before we fly out to Rome for embarkation the next day  😜).