Embarking/disembarking in Buenos Aires-Questions

graveytrain

3 hours ago, JennAngel9 said:

Just off the Eclipse (embarked EZE, left from San Antonio) and wanted to chime in we were also told no walk off self-disembarkation and they were running very late on arrival and everybody appeared to be leaving about an hour after the projected times on their bag tags.  It sounds like the Eclipse disembarking late is a theme this season in South America.

Are you by chance staying in a suite? The Michael's Club concierge (who was excellent all cruise) had us off quickly when it was time to meet our guide.

Unfortunately we are not in a suite, so concierge is not an option. Do you know what caused the delay in the arrival of the Eclipse to Buenos Aires? We are scheduled to be in Montevideo on Saturday before debarkation on Sunday which does not appear to be a long distance. Due to the short distance, I’m hoping for an early arrival. 

On 1/8/2019 at 9:38 AM, ccotting said:

I have only embarked at BA (we went up the west coast back to the US) and we didn’t find the experience particularly difficult.  The ports in SA are mostly container/commercial ports so the use of a bus to get to the terminal proper will be your experience for most of the cruise.  

My only addition to the other posts is to encourage you to read the port information.  There is a lot of street crime in BA, we met 5 people who had been robbed on our trip.  Necklaces ripped from necks while they were sitting at a cafe, that sort of thing.  Read the boards and follow the suggestions.  

We did also experience some challenge getting currency to run around with but were able to do so at a commercial exchange and to return it.  There is a problem with inflation so your bank will likely not provide (no return for them).  Read the Boards about use of credit cards and bank machines.  Your hotel is fine, some places aren’t.  

We took the lessons and had a fine time.  We also experienced stormy weather getting to BA and arrived a day later than planned due to flight cancellations.  We always plan that night in town before the cruise, it’s good practice and wise of you.

Thanks for the reminders on petty theft and credit card usage. I am taking your suggestion and reading up on currency exchange. 

Susan

1 hour ago, graveytrain said:

Thanks for the reminders on petty theft and credit card usage. I am taking your suggestion and reading up on currency exchange. 

Susan

Susan, we arrived very confused about what to do about $ for this trip due to all we read prior to the trip. It turned out we didn’t need as much as for our other trips because most places we visited accepted our US credit cards. We did need Argentine pesos for cabs and souvenirs we purchased from street carts. We were able to change USD for pesos at the airport and at our hotel.

Also, lots of locals kept reminding visitors to not wear any jewelry, not even wedding bands, to keep wallets in front pockets, and put purses across your chest so they couldn’t be pulled off. We followed these guidelines and no one bothered us. We did notice that locals did the same and that most people with backpacks carried them on their fronts instead of their backs.  I’d like to emphasize that just about everyone we met were friendly and helpful, so don’t be afraid to venture out, just consider these precautions. 

We had no jewelry, a credit card and a little cash in a money belt.  It was nice to see my diamond ring when I got home.  No seriously we were very prepared.  A hint about money...we had a private guide for the day so we did not need local money. I did find the water bottle man and the magnet man willing to take dollars at a kiosk.  We did not stay in BA after or before the cruise as we were on the re-positioning from Barcelona and gone 5 weeks. We hired a car service to meet us at the port and bring us to Holiday Inn at the airport to spend the day for a day rate since our flight was so late.  The good restaurants take credit cards and the car was prepaid so we needed no cash and gave tips in dollars.  All the other countries accepted dollars. We got back Dec 23.

Karen

We spent 7 days in BA after our cruise ended in an Airbnb in Palermo.   While we had heard all the warnings of having to be careful and not wear expensive jewelry, We found BA to be one of the safest cities we have ever visited.   Possibly because we were staying outside the crowded activity on Santa Fe walking street.  We never felt unsafe walking even at night time.  I would have to say that I feel less safe in places like Barcelona and Rome. 

We found that you can obtain local currency very easily at most ATM's and if you have an ATM Card which rebates transaction fees it is the only way to go.   As others say almost everywhere we went from 5 star restaurants to coffee shops credit cards are welcomed.   The sole exception we found was a small Chinese grocery shop near our apartment that would accept ATM cards but not credit cards.  

For getting around BA the Subway is a very inexpensive way to zip around town.   You can buy a Transit Card at most Tobacco Shops and top up as needed.   The transit cards are unique to most areas I have visited in that you can use a single card for multiple people - so one card is all you need. 

Finally -  We mostly used Uber in lieu of cabs.   The prices are approximately 25% below cab fare and the fare is automatically charged to your credit card that you set up at home.    One warning I had been told is that you should set up Uber before arriving as some credit cards are rejected if tried to set up while in BA.

On 1/11/2019 at 11:53 AM, Jim_Iain said:

We spent 7 days in BA after our cruise ended in an Airbnb in Palermo.   While we had heard all the warnings of having to be careful and not wear expensive jewelry, We found BA to be one of the safest cities we have ever visited.   Possibly because we were staying outside the crowded activity on Santa Fe walking street.  We never felt unsafe walking even at night time.  I would have to say that I feel less safe in places like Barcelona and Rome. 

We found that you can obtain local currency very easily at most ATM's and if you have an ATM Card which rebates transaction fees it is the only way to go.   As others say almost everywhere we went from 5 star restaurants to coffee shops credit cards are welcomed.   The sole exception we found was a small Chinese grocery shop near our apartment that would accept ATM cards but not credit cards.  

For getting around BA the Subway is a very inexpensive way to zip around town.   You can buy a Transit Card at most Tobacco Shops and top up as needed.   The transit cards are unique to most areas I have visited in that you can use a single card for multiple people - so one card is all you need. 

Finally -  We mostly used Uber in lieu of cabs.   The prices are approximately 25% below cab fare and the fare is automatically charged to your credit card that you set up at home.    One warning I had been told is that you should set up Uber before arriving as some credit cards are rejected if tried to set up while in BA.

Great post...please note Uber is blocked by the port.  Our friends were not able to get Uber until they came with our guide and were transported a mile away.  Not certain if that is always the case.  Our guide used What Ap to call an Uber as their downloaded one did not work...and then they needed cash.  I believe you will be safe if you take precautions and treat this like any other high crime tourist place.  I also am always very careful in Barcelona and read of all the current scams.

Karen

On 1/9/2019 at 6:05 PM, graveytrain said:

Unfortunately we are not in a suite, so concierge is not an option. Do you know what caused the delay in the arrival of the Eclipse to Buenos Aires? We are scheduled to be in Montevideo on Saturday before debarkation on Sunday which does not appear to be a long distance. Due to the short distance, I’m hoping for an early arrival. 

I'm sorry to say that I have no idea why it was late, but we also had a very short distance and I don't think time of arrival was the problem-- I suspect crowded port?  Oops, I should mention, we debarked in San Antionio-- but we were at least somewhat late to several ports.  I didn't pay close attention b/c w/ 2 young kids we were never aiming to be first off the ship anywhere except Puerto Madryn, where we hoped to beat the crowds.  I'd say we were maybe 15-30m late there?

• 1 month later...

Just an update. We made our 10am flight with time to spare. We disembarked before the announcements started, grabbed our bags at the terminal, and hopped in a cab. While it is not ideal, avoiding a red eye was worth the gamble to us. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Without it, we might not have made our flight. 

Wow. I'm glad to hear that you pulled it off! Was express walk off available or did you arrange for something different?

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

No, express walk off was not offered. As was stated earlier, I’m sure it was due to the steep decline in the walkway off the ship. We had a number 1 luggage tag and the luggage arrived shortly after we reached the terminal. I will mention that we disembarked the ship before any announcements were made. 

In my opinion the embarkation in BA is a torture because you have to wait for multiple times for a longer time (seated waiting for security screening if not Suite/Zenith, a very long line for the check-in if not Concierge/Suite/Zenith, quite long lines for the border control, bus transfer to the ship). But the disembarkation in BA worked quite efficient.