MSC Drink Package Upgrade - Easy to Premium

cruisers2019

On 4/15/2019 at 5:36 PM, jjh9 said:

Beamzfar I hope you can help me on drink package. What is Aurea best deal? This on the invoice.

In the US, MSC sometimes refers to the packages on your confirmations to make you feel good...Bella is sometimes called "Good Deal" or "Basic Deal", Fantasica is called "Better Deal", and Aurea is called "Best Deal" based on the inclusions.  It is their way of making it feel like you are getting a value.  It has no bearing on anything. The drink package you get is the Classic if booked prior to 11/12/18, and the Easy if booked after that date.

I see it on our app under items included with the cruise...It is just what they list all of the Aurea perks under.

Aurea.jpg

• Thanks 1

Bea, I do have a question for you...On the Meraviglia with the old deluxe package, what is not included (I know there was a difference between Venchi being included on Seaside but not Jean Phillipe on MV?) Is there still a place to get free gelato, etc with the old deluxe on MV?

There are 2 venues: the Atmosphere Ice-cream  (pool) bar on deck 15 aft and the Polar bar on deck 19 aft.  However, I've just read on here very recently that it was only soft-serve available in the Atmosphere bar (no reference to the Polar bar).

@Bea since you are a wealth of knowledge, boarding cards say check in is from 1pm to 7pm for MSC tomorrow in Palma, when would be the best time to arrive?

I put up a new post but just incase no one answers. 🙈 On the way to Shannon now so trying to plan! 😂

The earlier you arrive the lower the number you'll receive for boarding.  While check-in may begin at 1pm the numbers may be issued earlier than that.

Having said that, I doubt that there will be many boarding at Palma so I reckon you'll probably walk onto the ship fairly soon after you arrive to the terminal.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, dav1041 said:

Hey slei, what did you have to do to upgrade from 534 to 536.  I have the Aurea Best Deal, just want to upgrade from classic to deluxe.   

Thanks 

Those codes don't exist any more.  If you booked before last November, the Classic is included, but you'll have to upgrade to Premium now which is not quite as comprehensive as Deluxe was (eg - mini-bar, room service items and sundaes, which were included in Deluxe, are not included in Premium).

Yes, we booked about a year ago.  This is what it shows, I'm assuming it's the classic.   I just want to upgrade to the premium for the premium liquors (not interested in the mini-bar stuff).  Can I pre-order this or is it something I have to do after we get onto the ship.   

Thanks for your help!!

5A6EB308-DC4C-47AE-8920-0E38DE236CDD.png

3 hours ago, dav1041 said:

Hey slei, what did you have to do to upgrade from 534 to 536.  I have the Aurea Best Deal, just want to upgrade from classic to deluxe.

The 534 and 536 packages still exist and I have two more future sailings with them, they just cannot be booked or upgraded to any longer.  I'm a little confused by your screenshot as to where/when you booked and where you are sailing, that information will get you more accurate information.  If you only have the Mealtime package that is totally different than the 534 or 536 packages.  What it looks like to me is you booked Aurea on an itinerary that offered the Mealtime package, which just makes the Mealtime package basically null.  I assume since you mention the 534 package that you booked before November 2018 and have the US booking site's Classic package that came with Aurea, but on a European sailing?  Most European sailings had their version of the Classic (called the All Inclusive Restaurant and Bar) and was coded as 431 because the inclusions were a little different.  If you do have the 534 package most people will say the upgrade to the Premium package is not worthwhile.  And if you have the 431 package my opinion still is keep the 431 unless you really like bottled beer.

ETA:  After reading your second post I think you have the 431 package.  Here's a European inclusion list posted by another very nice CC member.  You can see what upgrading to Premium code 472 will get you.1380963672_OldvsNewDec2018.thumb.JPG.d132a083729b256d261f42ad7e35b2f2.JPG

Edited by Até
  • Like 1

Yes, you're right, Até.  I should have qualified that those codes no longer exist for bookings from last November.  I was assuming that the booking in question was a recent one.

I agree that, for a European sailing, it's not worth the extra cost to upgrade to Premium.

Sorry, should have mentioned we booked in May 2018 for a sailing in July 2019 out of Miami, FL.   

I'm confused as to what drink package we got as well.   When we booked they were offering a deal where everyone got a free meal time drink package no matter what experience you booked.   But I assumed since we got the Aurea package it didn't matter.   I just want some of the premium whisky and rum like Maker's Mark, Jack Daniels, and Zacapa or Pyrat Rum.  

You have the Classic package included, so.  It would cost $15 pppd (+15% if upgraded onboard) to upgrade to Premium on a US sailing:

2135331010_ScreenShot2019-05-11at14_09_14.png.403f5d24ebf127f9fb4b9d2495da5550.png

Here's a link to a thread with the drinks menus (from post #35).  The Premium will cover you for all drinks up to $12:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2641156-msc-yacht-club-feb-16-23-2019-compare-to-ncl-haven/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-56957236

Edited by Beamafar

4 minutes ago, dav1041 said:

Awesome!!  Thank you so much.  

As you can see all 4 drinks that you named are included in the Premium package.  Basically, the only drinks not included are on the Connoisseurs' Selection page of the menus.

If you upgrade before sailing you'll save the 15% service charge that's added when upgrading onboard.  You'll have to request an upgrade from code 534 to 669 (the 1st code numbers against each are for US sailings and the 2nd for when Euros are the onboard currency):

1582921494_ScreenShot2019-05-11at14_46_44.png.b3eb0792099a41dc73f9ef9fed154a30.png

1 hour ago, dav1041 said:

Sorry, should have mentioned we booked in May 2018 for a sailing in July 2019 out of Miami, FL.   

I'm confused as to what drink package we got as well.   When we booked they were offering a deal where everyone got a free meal time drink package no matter what experience you booked.   But I assumed since we got the Aurea package it didn't matter.   I just want some of the premium whisky and rum like Maker's Mark, Jack Daniels, and Zacapa or Pyrat Rum.  

Interesting, I don't remember MSC US offering Mealtime drinks on any sailings from Miami.  Was it on Armonia?  Anyway, Bea is correct and you should have the 534 Classic package and it would cost $15pp/day to go to Premium.  I liked the 534 well enough to keep it on a couple sailings, there was a lot of debate whether the new increased drink prices were going to affect what was included.  So far MSC has been honoring those cocktail, wine and beer choices pretty well, the European 431 Classic package suffered more though.  The US booked packages had more definitive liquor description, not based directly on price.  I attached the US list of included beverages for the 534 Classic so you can see what was, and still is, included.  You won't get Zacapa Rum with any package but Premium Plus.

2018 Drink Package Comparison Guide with Drinks On Us (Version2).pdf

20 minutes ago, Até said:

Interesting, I don't remember MSC US offering Mealtime drinks on any sailings from Miami.  Was it on Armonia?  Anyway, Bea is correct and you should have the 534 Classic package and it would cost $15pp/day to go to Premium.  I liked the 534 well enough to keep it on a couple sailings, there was a lot of debate whether the new increased drink prices were going to affect what was included.  So far MSC has been honoring those cocktail, wine and beer choices pretty well, the European 431 Classic package suffered more though.  The US booked packages had more definitive liquor description, not based directly on price.  I attached the US list of included beverages for the 534 Classic so you can see what was, and still is, included.  You won't get Zacapa Rum with any package but Premium Plus.

2018 Drink Package Comparison Guide with Drinks On Us (Version2).pdf 233.19 kB · 1 download

We booked the Seaside... Not sure what the deal was with the mealtime drinks.  Thanks for the guide, it looks like MSC has tried to simplify their drink packages some but it's still too confusing for me.  I look forward to the cruise to see what MSC has to offer, but at this point, IMO anyway, you can't beat the all or nothing drink package that Carnival offers.   

2 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Zacapa is included in the Premium package (for US sailings, anyway) Até:

Hmm, do you know the date of that menu?  From your recent Armonia sailing?  I don't drink rum very often so haven't noticed it was taken off the Super Premium list, where I'm going by memory that it was on my last sailings.  Kind of like the Hendricks Gin and Macallan which seems to move around depending on who/where you ask.  Too many menu changes and inconsistencies between ships and even between the bars on the same ship....

I'm sure that played a role in MSC US dropping the drink package description listings showing the specific liquor brands and moving to dollar/euro amounts.

4 minutes ago, Até said:

Hmm, do you know the date of that menu?  From your recent Armonia sailing?  I don't drink rum very often so haven't noticed it was taken off the Super Premium list, where I'm going by memory that it was on my last sailings.  Kind of like the Hendricks Gin and Macallan which seems to move around depending on who/where you ask.  Too many menu changes and inconsistencies between ships and even between the bars on the same ship....

I'm sure that played a role in MSC US dropping the drink package description listings showing the specific liquor brands and moving to dollar/euro amounts.

Yes... Way to confusing.  One of the things I enjoyed most about the Carnival all-inclusive drink package was that I could go to any bar on the ship and order any drink and know that it was included.   

7 minutes ago, Até said:

Hmm, do you know the date of that menu?  From your recent Armonia sailing? 

That's right - it's an up-to-date menu.

In my experience, the menus have always been standard across the fleet (just differences between US$ sailings and Euros sailings).  I've seen, over the years, items being moved from one package to another, or removed from inclusive packages altogether with the advent of Connoisseurs' Selection.  I think it's great that MSC has introduced the Premium+ package to include all menu items.  It isn't much more expensive than the old Deluxe, but has a more comprehensive range.

11 minutes ago, dav1041 said:

We booked the Seaside... Not sure what the deal was with the mealtime drinks.  Thanks for the guide, it looks like MSC has tried to simplify their drink packages some but it's still too confusing for me.  I look forward to the cruise to see what MSC has to offer, but at this point, IMO anyway, you can't beat the all or nothing drink package that Carnival offers.

I thought Drinks On Us package was pretty well the established package for US bookings on Seaside by April, 2018. The corresponding Classic and Deluxe were some of the best package values I've ever sailed with.  The new Easy, Premium and Premium Plus are quite a bit more expensive for similarly covered beverages.  Hopefully MSC won't make any more new packages and this having 12 different packages at the same time will eventually fade away.  If you want everything by the glass included then upgrade to the Premium Plus 679 package for $32pp/day.

20 minutes ago, dav1041 said:

I look forward to the cruise to see what MSC has to offer, but at this point, IMO anyway, you can't beat the all or nothing drink package that Carnival offers.   

As I've said, the only drinks that won't be included in the Premium package will be those on the Connoisseurs' Selection page of the menus - very straightforward and not complicated at all.

• Like 1