How free is your drink package, really?

cementhands

On 1/14/2019 at 5:24 PM, PATRLR said:

These statements are not correct if you are comfortable booking at guarantee category.   We're in the process of booking our next cruises right now and going through all this math.  We seldom care to choose our cabin so I am comfortable saying that to us, the drink package is rather expensive and seems to be coming out on the "not worth it" end of the scale.

You're absolutely right. I prefer picking my own room these days and I also like drinking, so the extra cost makes sense for me. But, I will also point out... the difference between guarantee rooms and choosing your own stateroom used to be like, $50-$100 max. Now it's upwards of $250. It's gotten out of hand.

To each their own. I will always choose free unlimited drinks as a perk. If I feel like a mimosa at breakfast, I can. If I feel like tasting every single mixed cocktail on every single menu I come across, I can. I like not having to worry about nickel & diming every step of my vacation. Paying for the fees and gratuities up front and going on vacation without any worries or any care about what my bill is going to be allows me to enjoy my vacation.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2019 at 8:42 PM, fshagan said:

We always choose other perks because the drink package costs us more in gratuities than we normally drink! I can't imagine having three or four drinks a day, but plenty of people have more than that while on a cruise (they have a very professional designated driver at the helm, after all). So I totally get why it's a great perk for them. Just not for me. I think it would burn a hole in my stomach and I'd bleed out because of the blood thinners I'm on.

Usually, with our typical balcony cabin we have the choice of 2 or 3 out of 4 or 5 perks. We choose other perks. We do take the dining perk because the "fancy" food is worth the extra $14 or whatever it is for a week (we would normally not pay the cover charge for the specialties unless we had OBC to use up).

This is us as well the drink package was 124.00 for tips & tax and I don't drink that much so a glass of wine or a drink each day would be a better deal for us.

We have traveled with others who love the package but they feel they must drink morning till night. But hey it's their vacation :).

The taxes when I did the math were $18 a day per person for the drink package.    We passed on the drink package and will mostly drink the free filtered water and lemonade. Good point, though, about sail away vs. room with perks. 

We started with a freebie inside offer for two people and that just came with one perk.  We for the one perk, have our son in the room (third person free -- well not really taxes, etc.).  And then we went for a specific location to be by others we are sailing with and went for a mini suite / large balcony.

No, there is no such thing as a free cruise or a free perk when you do the math.  Looking forward to a fun vacation, but it's certainly not a free vacation.

10 hours ago, pspercy said:

We booked a 14dy oceanview  with package and so on a while back,  yesterday I did a (intended to be) mock booking using Sailaway rate for oceanview (OX).

It was $2,000 cheaper overall ($1000/pp) and showed a cabin assignment as well !! So I booked it too  and will likely cancel the first one.

Feb 29, 2020, NCL Star, 'round the Horn westbound.

There are 2 Sail Away Oceanview rooms on the Star that are assigned at booking rather than closer to sailing.  Both however are obstructed view rooms on deck 8 behind the life boats.  So rather than being $1,000 per person price difference there is only a $400 per person price difference between an Obstructed Oceanview and a Sail Away Oceanview.  The Obstructed Oceanview also comes with 3 offers right now so just the Shore Excursion alone make it break even and you still have two more offers to select.  I think on a Sail Away booking you're better off waiting for an assignment closer to sailing where there is always the chance of a very nice upgrade.  

Edited by senseib