Pranks at sea

VanNess

If you've cruised with a group, what kind of neat things did you do to keep the atmosphere lively? What kind of door decor? What kind of things did you bring on board to thrill and delight your pals? Play any innocent tricks? Make any special arrangements? Thanks for sharing!

Not exactly pranks, but just silly fun stuff

On one cruise, with 4 women traveling together. We boarded the ship wearing tiaras and boas, wore them to formal night and disco night. I wish we'd thought to wear them to the muster drill. I also found some cute jewelry for each lady (elephant pin for the Republican die-hard, red Wizard of Oz shoes pin for the shoe nut, ....) and surprised them one night.

I've also learned to pack some cheap gift bags and note cards. We had some tablemates that were craving their Dr. Pepper. We found some in port and presented them with gift bags at dinner that night.

For my next cruise, I found some anchor garland at a party store for decorating our cabin. My roommate will be a first-time cruiser, so I'll probably look for other fun touches.

There was once a thread on this subject a long time ago on this board. I can't remember the details but I remember LMAO reading it. Try a search....you might find it.

I look forward to the replies... some cruisers are so talented when it comes to pranks :)

Bobbie

Not pranks, but I have:

Brought bubbles for sailaway (little containers shaped like champagne bottles) or popping containers filled with confetti

Brought gift bags for my cruise mate and given at sailaway

Brought gift bags (or Christmas stockings, or Easter baskets) for our waiter, asst waiter and room steward

If traveling with children, had gifts packed and wrapped for each day (with things to amuse them on board such as craft kits or books, etc.)

Decorated our door with vinyl cling stickers, or laminated door signs, or Christmas decs

Bought flowers in port to decorate the room

Brought along light up bracelets and necklaces to give away in the disco

Brought fancy chocolates, nuts and other munchies to enjoy in room

Brought wine etc for room, along with fancy looking (acrylic) glasses

Brought stiff paper dollar bills to fold into ingenious shapes to tip people

Brought fancy chocolate gold coins to tip people (along with $1)

Brought little beanie baby type toys for poor children we meet

Brought tiaras or cool ceramic devil horns or angel halos to wear when we feel like being wierd

Brought inflatable water 'noodles' that quickly blow up, can serve as two snorkel vests or one chaise lounge at the beach

For pranks, we have never done any on a cruise, but once on a Florida vacation, we bought an inflatable 'snake' and had fun freaking each other out by stashing it places. Since it was inflatable, it would squish into a drawer, since it was long and unwieldy, it would kind of leap out at you. I've seen them at many ports.

On our last cruise on Enchantment, we had a "cruise virgin" with us, and let me start by saying that he is SUPER naieve(sp).

To start off, he asked once, what was the alternating blinking light on top of the main mast all about!

~ We told him that it was a balance indicator, and as long as the ship was properly balanced, it would alternate. If one side of the ship became heavier than the other, it would only blink on a single side. He kept an eye on it, in case he needed to move to the other side of the ship in a hurry.

The same guy, had been told for months that he had to behave, and not get on our nerves or we would throw him overboard. Well on the last night, right after dinner, we were all meeting up on deck to discuss disembarkation plans for the next morning. Our entire group was in on the scheme. As we all gathered, we walked up to him, and two of us guys suddenly grabbed him by the arms and legs and headed for the rail. He literally had a fit, and suddenly "had" to return to his cabin for a few minutes! (if ya get my drift)

He was the life of our pranks on this cruise, and the good part is, he is going with our group again in December on the Navigator...LOL

Quote;Brought bubbles for sailaway (little containers shaped like champagne bottles) or popping containers filled with confetti

Don't buy or bring them. They are not allowed to be used on board the ship because of the environment. Very strict rules apply to things like that being tossed or blown into the water from the ships. ;)

Ummm...bubbles? I know you're not supposed to throw anything off the ship, but when even Disney shoots gigantic bubbles out of a cannon on sailaway, I'm pretty sure a few bubbles from an inch long container aren't going to hurt the environment.

And we have never shot the confetti things overboard (or left a mess for pool staff), just sorta aimed them at a towel. They don't explode or anything, just pop open.

But thanks for your concern! :rolleyes:

Ummm...bubbles? I know you're not supposed to throw anything off the ship, but when even Disney shoots gigantic bubbles out of a cannon on sailaway, I'm pretty sure a few bubbles from an inch long container aren't going to hurt the environment.

And we have never shot the confetti things overboard (or left a mess for pool staff), just sorta aimed them at a towel. They don't explode or anything, just pop open.

But thanks for your concern! :rolleyes:

Correction: I did not even read about the bubbles, just saw the popping containers filled with confetti

So, bring bubbles, but don't bring the confetti. They are not allowed to be used on board the ship because of the environment. Very strict rules apply to things like that being tossed or blown into the water from the ships. ;)

When we wen't to the muster drill, there was a girl next to us that was real spacy and talking WAAY too much. Asking silly questions like, "are we going to miss dinner?". Ok, time to have fun. . . .

We were in our bathing suits & life jackets, I looked at her and said (in a real hushed voice) "You didn't wear your bathing suit. Your clothes will get wet if they pick you". Her eyes were as big silver dollars! She fell for it! After the sudden urge to laugh, past, I went back in for more. My boyfriend and I then talked amongst ourselves about our last cruise (a carefully crafted horror story) where a lady wouldn't be quiet so she got to test the life jacket. She heard every word as we intended.

She didn't say another word. :D

When we wen't to the muster drill, there was a girl next to us that was real spacy and talking WAAY too much. Asking silly questions like, "are we going to miss dinner?". Ok, time to have fun. . . .

We were in our bathing suits & life jackets, I looked at her and said (in a real hushed voice) "You didn't wear your bathing suit. Your clothes will get wet if they pick you". Her eyes were as big silver dollars! She fell for it! After the sudden urge to laugh, past, I went back in for more. My boyfriend and I then talked amongst ourselves about our last cruise (a carefully crafted horror story) where a lady wouldn't be quiet so she got to test the life jacket. She heard every word as we intended.

She didn't say another word. :D

Excellent! Well done you guys.....now would you care to explain to my wife that you were only having a laugh?.....on second thoughts, don't bother and I'll brave my next cruise alone!!!

Not many things can make me laugh out loud in the office, but you managed it!

Alan

On one of our earliest cruises some of our table mates were a mother daughter pair, Ma & Deb. Deb was, shall we say gullable? One day she was talking to me on deck and mentioned she just didn't understand how ships 'found' the islands we were going to, since there are no roads or signs.

Being a person of the sea, I told her I'd let her in on the secret if she PROMISED not to tell anyone else, because I could get in trouble as would the ship's crew:

You see, we're not really 'sailing' out here. The ship is on tracks that are under the water.

What?

You've been to Disney World right? The riverboat ride? If you look down you can SEE the track the boat is on. It's the same here, the water is just deeper so you can't see them....

But the ship goes up and down with the waves?

They put in HILLS silly. They don't want everyone to know. Now promise not to tell.

For the next couple of days we'd see Deb sharing here secret with someone and I'd crack up - boy did she get looks while we'd see her hands going up and down over the hills. My wife finally asked what was up and I shared. She made me fess up at dinner that night. Deb was gonna get mad 'til Ma said, "you fell for that?"

We remained friends for years....

And then of course you can always play the whale game ....

Some doors are metal, and magnets would work. Or that stuff that you ball up and hang light things with? (It's white and in the office supplies section of stores.)

Vinyl cling stuff works good (peels off like post it notes) or regular stickers (to hold up a sign) - just make sure you remove all the stickers on your last AM so as not to leave a mess for the cabin steward.

And what naysayers, for gosh sakes ("I have read where people have slipped on fallen from the bubbles") .... I'm sure there are many serious accidents every year from bubbles from a one inch high bubble container. Good grief! You wouldn't think that people who were prone to such sermonizing as some of the posters on this thread would even bother to read something labeled 'pranks'!

I guess we'll get some stern warnings about the dangers of asphyxiation from blowing up inflatable snakes, or the trauma caused to the girl who thought the ship was on tracks, or the heartbreak that can be caused by joking during the muster drill! :rolleyes:

My sister, Mother, my 2 year old son and I were cruising the S. Caribbean and all sharing the same cabin. You know how messy a cabin can get and with 3 women and suitcases and a toddler thrown in the mix - Whew!

Well, we had been joking about everyone's stuff being everywhere and just use what you find, etc.... My sister was in the shower getting ready for the day. I told my Mom what we were going to do when she got out and to play along. When she came out I said with a concerned look on my face, "That's just great! Did you hear that?" She said, "No, what?" I said that the Captain had just announced a mandatory full exercise muster drill. In 10 minutes when we hear the horn, we must "evacuate" the cabin ashore on the pier until he gives the ok to return. WITH ALL OF OUR STUFF. He said we would be on the pier no more than 10 minutes. You should have seen the look on her face! "What!?!? We have to pack all this NOW?? For 10 minutes?? This is just great!!!!! This is insane! What about our excursion?" She then proceeds to haul out her suitcase and frantically starts loading stuff. My Mom was trying not to burst out laughing. My sister was huffing around and then my Mom lost it and laughed. DS was so relieved that it wasn't true!

Pretty funny.

Pranks? Oh, yea............... how about changing their breakfast room service order to the earliest possible time?? Our friends complained all week how their order came so early and woke them up!

And, of course, the usual fake throw up and poop ALWAYS get a laugh or two, especially out on deck.:D Not to mention the little fuzzy mouse in the dinning room!

Have a blast, we always do.

We shared the Royal Family Suite with some friends who had sailed RCCL before, but not as often as we had. During a previous cruise, I had won a whole "grab bag" of logo prizes at the Hoola Hoop contest.

Every night of the cruise, I would put something out on our bed (fanny pack, cooler, T-shirts, etc.) and ask them if they had received the same thing. Of course, they had not. :confused: I kept replying it must be because we were Crown & Achor members. They kept replying that they were too, but I just ignored it when they said it. :D

On the last night of the cruise, I left them 2 key chains on their pillows. Boy, were they ticked!! :mad: When they came out with the key chains, my SO and I just burst out laughing. This was a 10 day cruise and we kept them going the whole time! :D

Now that was a fun prank! It's hard to believe they are still speaking with us and we are the best of friends.

Every night of the cruise, I would put something out on our bed (fanny pack, cooler, T-shirts, etc.) and ask them if they had received the same thing. Of course, they had not. :confused:

That's terrible! . . but oh so funny! May I borrow your idea on our next cruise?

I bet that would work if I spent too much money at the store. All I have to do it put that new $500 pair of shorts on the bed and act surprised when we come back in from dinner!

oh . . I have goose bumps!

We were on a cruise once and we kept seeing this group of guys with a great sense of humor. Before dinner each night, they would take turns wearing a tie with a single heart on it. Once you "got it"-it was a great laugh to come up to them and ask them who has the "heart on" tonight. Alittle adult humor-very funny. :D

Had a group of 19 on our last cruise. Most people didn't have a travel clock or any way to tell time in their room. They'd hang their room service request on the door before they went to bed. Before we shut it down for the night we'd make the rounds, get the request form, and change the delivery time. Most never noticed that room service came at 530 AM instead of 9AM until it was too late and already delivered to their room.

I guess this is not actually a "prank", except on the people I work with but...

My boyfriend and I had met at work and wanted to keep our relationship a secret. For over 2 years, he sent me flowers at work about every other week and signed the card "Mr E" (as in... Mystery). My co-workers speculated endlessly about who was sending the flowers (some even thought I sent them to myself!). Some did guess correctly about who it was but I would never admit it. When I told them I was going on a cruise with my boyfriend and his parents, they asked me to bring back a picture and then told each other that I wouldn't. One night at the formal dinner, I pulled out three paper bags which I had cut eye holes in and asked my boyfriend and his parents to put them on their heads. They did (although his mother balked at messing up her hair) and I had our waiter take a few pictures. Others in the dining room were amused (although they had no idea why we were doing this). I got great pictures of me in my fancy dress and 3 "bagheads" and my team at work was so excited that I was finally going to show them "Mr E". To this day, they still talk about it but shortly after that, I did reveal who my honey was.

Although I have not seen it, I have read where people have slipped on fallen from the bubbles. It might vary from ship to ship.

Most of the bubbles I see are pretty fragile, so you don't need to worry about them being like marbles if you step on the.

We got ALL kinds of reactions -- ranging from 'I wish I'd thought of that" to "Who do they think they are?" Most people reacted positively.

Our plan to board the ship wearing them was borrowed from some women on a previous cruise who boarded with tiaras, boas, and matching "Girl's Weekend" Tshirts. The cruise director's staff who welcomed us about definitely remembered us! And we were wearing the tiaras and boas in the security photo!

Archived