Need CC advice on which Norway itinerary

mattduke1

On 1/21/2019 at 1:14 AM, mattduke1 said:

#1 - 14 Day North Cape (Rotterdam, Stavanger, Flam, Sognefjord, Molde, Trondheim, Trondheimsfjord, Hammerfest, Honningsvag, North Cape, Olden, Alesund, Rotterdam)

#2 - 14 Day Viking Sagas & Norse Legends (Rotterdam, Flam, Sognefjord, Stavanger, Kristiansand, Oslofjord, Oslo, Rotterdam, Eidfjord, Hardangerfjord, Alesund, Geiranger, Geirangerfjord, Rosendal, Rotterdam)

#3 - 14 Day North Cape & Gems of Norway Explorer (Amsterdam, Eidfjord, Hardangerfjord, Bergen, Tromso, North Cape, Honningsvag, Harstad, Leknes/Lofoten, Bronnoysund, Trondheim, Molde, Alesund, Amsterdam)

I like itinerary 2 for visiting Geiranger.  Consider renting a Twizy electric car and explore on your own.

https://www.geirangerfjord.no/electric-car-tours-2

Be sure to walk up the path to the waterfall, past the shopping area

https://www.visitnorway.com/listings/waterfall-walk-in-geiranger/190606/

I like itinerary 3 as it stops in Bergen with the colorful wharf houses of Bryggen.  You can also take the funicular up to Mount Floyen for a walk around and have the best vanilla ice cream around.  Also a plus sailing in and out of Amsterdam.  Have fun whatever you decide!

4 hours ago, songfool said:

We are on the May 30th 14-Day Cruise. Great to hear you preferred the Rotterdam, as we prefer the smaller ships, especially for the fjords. I’m interested in hearing what you liked about Amsterdam over Rotterdam (as a port). We are staying over in Amsterdam post-cruise and looking at various excursions. Do you have any recommendations? 

Saw your mention of the Heineken Experience, which we loved in 

Ireland, so hoping for something in wildlife, architecture, or culture. 

We were hoping to see gardens in bloom, but nothing I’ve read indicates public gardens in Amsterdam. 
Thank you!

So for Rotterdam, the fun thing is to take in some of their HUGE collection of public art--primarily sculpture at every turn, but also CRAAAZY buildings... Google or go to Trip Advisor for more. (So, self-guided walking tours.)

***The fabulous thing about your cruise is that June is Holland Festival month in Amsterdam--wonderful international performance events happening ALL THE TIME.  https://www.hollandfestival.nl/nl/ 

Many are free. Many outdoors (Vondelpark!).  Here's the list of where they will be https://www.hollandfestival.nl/en/locations/ 

We stumbled on more than one related street fair, complete with parades. 

I think you are *just in time* to catch the Open Garden days! https://www.opentuinendagen.nl/

--where people open the gardens at their homes (or private museum mansions) to the public

Amsterdam has wonderful gardens! The huge Vondelpark--think Central Park in Manhattan--has various gardens, along with picnic areas, children's playground, open-air stage, etc. Food trucks. The Hortus Botanicus is likewise wonderful--more a proper botanical garden with labeled plants and climate zones, etc. Tropical and butterfly gardens, etc. Begijnhof, enclosed among buildings next to the Amsterdam Museum (smack in Centrum) is a sweet garden cultivated by the convent. A quiet respite among the fray. Frankendael Park is pretty cool--public transportation is a must! Get the 3-day pass.  Miracle Garden, Tuinenpark Nut & Genogen (has a maze)...  The Rijksmuseet has one too. 

Wildlife: at the Zoo, Artis, In the Plantage district. Otherwise, you will see rabbits, magpies & such, lol...

The Piano Museum has concerts (not just piano either). If you like jazz, the Cotton Club on the Den Waag square has a free show at 5 pm most days. 

We always get an airbnb and have never had a bad experience. Just decide where you want most to hang out and look for places there (also homeaway & vrbo). I also HIGHLY recommend an excellent B&B, Tulipa, in Leidseplein. We've stayed there 3 times. Paula makes a glorious breakfast. https://www.tulipa.amsterdam/

Edited by sofietucker
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 9:06 PM, RuthC said:

Any of them! All of them! Flip a coin---all of them are great itineraries, and you cannot go wrong here.
I am particularly charmed by Molde and Alesund...

I see you really liked Molde and Alesund and as I am trying to decide between two 7 night itineraries on the Nieuw Statendam with the only difference being one visits Molde and the other visits Alesund, I was wondering if you found one of the two towns to be better than the other?  

My itinerary choices are as follows:

June 21                                                          July 19

Amsterdam                                                   Amsterdam

At sea                                                             At Sea

Eidfjord                                                           Eidfjord

Hardangerfjord (cruising)                           Hardangerfjord (cruising)

Bergen                                                            Molde

Geiranger                                                       Geiranger

Alesund                                                          Bergen

At sea                                                             At sea

Amsterdam                                                   Amsterdam

Thanks!

Edited by red919

50 minutes ago, red919 said:

I see you really liked Molde and Alesund and as I am trying to decide between two 7 night itineraries on the Nieuw Statendam with the only difference being one visits Molde and the other visits Alesund, I was wondering if you found one of the two towns to be better than the other?  

I couldn't pick one over the other. Might I suggest, though, that I have found Molde on the itinerary less often compared to Alesund. If given the choice, I would pick the itinerary with Molde then, knowing I could probably get back to Alesund the next time. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2019 at 8:39 PM, mattduke1 said:

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.  You guys are great.

Do any ports have excursions to Geiranger if I choose an itinerary that doesn't actually dock there?

Last year we went to Geiranger from Alesund with a local guide . 

IMG_4555_zpsiqp6k6dh.jpg

We began our descent on Eagle's Road

Check out the guy on the right

IMG_0122%202_zpsge17tgxl.jpg

The Queen's Chair

IMG_4577_zpscop5fkok.jpg

The 7 Sisters

IMG_4709_zpszttgkkyk.jpg

IMG_4735%203_zpscsqau868.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

I couldn't pick one over the other. Might I suggest, though, that I have found Molde on the itinerary less often compared to Alesund. If given the choice, I would pick the itinerary with Molde then, knowing I could probably get back to Alesund the next time. 

Thank so much for your quick reply! :)

56 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Last year we went to Geiranger from Alesund with a local guide . 

IMG_4555_zpsiqp6k6dh.jpg

We began our descent on Eagle's Road

Check out the guy on the right

The Queen's Chair

The 7 Sisters

Thanks so much for posting this...wonderful photos!

Was thinking I could only afford a 7 night cruise but now might be able to do the 14 night North Cape cruise....unfortunately doesn't include Geiranger so was very happy to see your post. 

Seems like a wonderful option if not sailing into Geiranger, itself.  How long was this tour?  We'd only be in port 8am-5pm and don't know if we'd have time.

1 hour ago, red919 said:

Thank so much for your quick reply! 🙂

Thanks so much for posting this...wonderful photos!

Was thinking I could only afford a 7 night cruise but now might be able to do the 14 night North Cape cruise....unfortunately doesn't include Geiranger so was very happy to see your post. 

Seems like a wonderful option if not sailing into Geiranger, itself.  How long was this tour?  We'd only be in port 8am-5pm and don't know if we'd have time.

You're welcome . We were also in from 8-5 and was an 8 hour tour . We ended up at Aksla before returning to the ship . BTW if you haven't heard , things are very pricey in Norway .

IMG_4848_zpshvkhdjfa.jpg

We also booked a cruise in May that goes to Eidfjord , Alesund from 8 -11 PM , Molde and Bergen 

Edited by scubacruiserx2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/20/2020 at 1:36 PM, scubacruiserx2 said:

You're welcome . We were also in from 8-5 and was an 8 hour tour . We ended up at Aksla before returning to the ship . BTW if you haven't heard , things are very pricey in Norway .

Thanks.  This helps a lot.

And yes, finding Norway to be VERY pricey, too but definitely worth it from all the wonderful photos. 

Question:  Traveling with my mom and aunt who are starting to have trouble getting around, I'm wondering that with all the scenery we'd be seeing from just being on the ship itself, do you feel excursions are necessary?

And if so, which excursions on either 7-night "Norse Legends" or 14-night "Voyage of the Midnight Sun" itinerary would you deem "must-sees"? 

Thanks!!

3 hours ago, red919 said:

And yes, finding Norway to be VERY pricey, too but definitely worth it from all the wonderful photos. 

Question:  Traveling with my mom and aunt who are starting to have trouble getting around, I'm wondering that with all the scenery we'd be seeing from just being on the ship itself, do you feel excursions are necessary?

And if so, which excursions on either 7-night "Norse Legends" or 14-night "Voyage of the Midnight Sun" itinerary would you deem "must-sees"? 

Thanks!!

We have a couple of bad knees so we didn't do much climbing and we have only used a guide once in Norway . One time in Alesund we rented a car to go to Trollstigen .

IMG_4931-001_zpsad2edc4b.jpg

IMG_4830-003_zps299f83f6.jpg

In Bergen we just walked to the funicular

DSC08230%202_zpsapyfu3mn.jpg

Zuiderdam and the Nieuw Statendam

DSC08342%202_zpsgqpbr0wv.jpg

The ride down video 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utlzcnyghSI

We also walked to the Fish Market and Bryggen

IMG_4197%202_zpsskrsplod.jpg

DSC08298%202_zpslaf5rk73.jpg

Molde we haven't been to but we're going in May . It seems like you will seeing a lot of nice Fjords and that will be the main show .

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We have a couple of bad knees so we didn't do much climbing and we have only used a guide once in Norway . One time in Alesund we rented a car to go to Trollstigen .

In Bergen we just walked to the funicular

Zuiderdam and the Nieuw Statendam

The ride down video 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utlzcnyghSI

We also walked to the Fish Market and Bryggen

Molde we haven't been to but we're going in May . It seems like you will seeing a lot of nice Fjords and that will be the main show .

Wonderful photos and videos!!  

This makes me feel better about bringing them.  You hear so much about lovely views while on hikes and such that I didn't want them to go all that way only to miss so much due to lack of mobility.  Your photos are beautiful and looks very doable on our part.

Thanks so much!!

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 10:40 AM, red919 said:

Thanks!!

I have a heart condition that has been limiting me for awhile, doc said no hiking in Norway. Strolling was fine; I avoided tours with a bunch of cobblestones or steps. But many excursions can be done largely as sightseeing by bus. My highest recommendation is Nordkapp (from Honnigsvag), a stroll on flat ground & spectacular (it's EAST of Instanbul)! Plus reindeer on the way. And Geirangerfjord--again, do the Eagles Pass road. You don't have to get off the bus; I did, but it can be a struggle to go down a rocky hill for a photo, so I basically stood around and didn't miss anything at all. Just read the level of exertion symbols and descriptions to get a feel for how strenuous the tours may be.

Also, Norway is only pricey if you buy stuff, lol. We  are done with souvenirs; everyone's gotten all they need from us! And don't need any sweaters, etc. The only thing we did was buy postcards and stamps at Nordkapp to have postcards mailed from the top of the world. We can get cloudberry jam and every sort of herring at Ikea--as well as brunost (the cheese). 

Edited by sofietucker
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 6:02 PM, sofietucker said:

I have a heart condition that has been limiting me for awhile, doc said no hiking in Norway. Strolling was fine; I avoided tours with a bunch of cobblestones or steps. But many excursions can be done largely as sightseeing by bus. My highest recommendation is Nordkapp (from Honnigsvag), a stroll on flat ground & spectacular (it's EAST of Instanbul)! Plus reindeer on the way. And Geirangerfjord--again, do the Eagles Pass road. You don't have to get off the bus; I did, but it can be a struggle to go down a rocky hill for a photo, so I basically stood around and didn't miss anything at all. Just read the level of exertion symbols and descriptions to get a feel for how strenuous the tours may be.

Also, Norway is only pricey if you buy stuff, lol. We  are done with souvenirs; everyone's gotten all they need from us! And don't need any sweaters, etc. The only thing we did was buy postcards and stamps at Nordkapp to have postcards mailed from the top of the world. We can get cloudberry jam and every sort of herring at Ikea--as well as brunost (the cheese). 

We're basically in the same boat as you healthwise (excuse the pun) so this is very helpful advice.  And we'd just been discussing excursions over the weekend so your post came at just the right time.

Thanks! :)

20 hours ago, red919 said:

We're basically in the same boat as you healthwise (excuse the pun) so this is very helpful advice.  And we'd just been discussing excursions over the weekend so your post came at just the right time.

Thanks! 🙂

If you do go to Nordkapp, I urge you to go with Blue Puffin. We stopped in their adorable village to see the salmon being smoked, etc.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

If you do go to Nordkapp, I urge you to go with Blue Puffin. We stopped in their adorable village to see the salmon being smoked, etc.

We'll definitely look into it.  Thanks!