Help with question. Somewhat urgent

wr813

Daughter and three friends are on sensation right now.  One friend somehow lost her passport or birth certificate (unsure which).  They disembark tomorrow morning.  What can she do without having the passport or Birth certificate?

Unknown what she can do to be proactive. Probably should go to Guest Services and let them know. Maybe they have advise or can at least notify Immigrations of the upcoming issue.

Interesting dilemma though. Let us know how it works out.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, wr813 said:

Daughter and three friends are on sensation right now.  One friend somehow lost her passport or birth certificate (unsure which).  They disembark tomorrow morning.  What can she do without having the passport or Birth certificate?

she is fine...you don't need to show your birth certificate or passport to get off the ship.   Just an ID.   Otherwise, I am losing my passport on my next cruise so they cant let me off :):)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, bingomamma19 said:

she is fine...you don't need to show your birth certificate or passport to get off the ship.   Just an ID.   Otherwise, I am losing my passport on my next cruise so they cant let me off :):)

22 minutes ago, wesorbeth said:

Actually I have not shown anything when disembarking. She should be fine.  I misread and thought you wrote Embarking. Seriously would not worry about getting off the ship.

We still have  to show ours each and every time when arriving at customs after leaving the ship.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, BoDidly said:

We still have  to show ours each and every time when arriving at customs after leaving the ship.

You don't have to travel with a passport, so it is not a requirement.   Before we got our passport cards, we only traveled with our ID and BC's...we never had to show our BC's to get off the ship,  and I never have to show our Passport cards.   Just an iD.    Now, we are US citizens, I would imagine that Non US citizens would have to show a passport.

What would they do with people who don't have a passport?   The ship isn't big enough to keep them all there...I have never ever seen anyone left behind after debarking...maybe they become room stewards :):)

Edited by bingomamma19
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I’ve always shown my passport to customs...but maybe an ID would be fine. I’ve never tried. Just hand them the passport.

Or a BC . Customs has always viewed ours .

7 minutes ago, bingomamma19 said:

You don't have to travel with a passport, so it is not a requirement.   Before we got our passport cards, we only traveled with our ID and BC's...we never had to show our BC's to get off the ship,  and I never have to show our Passport cards.   Just an iD.    Now, we are US citizens, I would imagine that Non US citizens would have to show a passport.

What would they do with people who don't have a passport?   The ship isn't big enough to keep them all there...I have never ever seen anyone left behind after debarking...maybe they become room stewards :):)

You never had to show this to Customs ??   Boy you guys have been lucky :classic_huh: 

• Like 4

If she has her driver's license she will probably be fine. I don't know I've never cruised without a passport, but I'm surprised those that do haven't had to show the BC to customs. We've always had to show our passports. But either way she will be fine. I once came back across the border from Mexico without my passport. You don't have to show it to get into Mexico and I didn't realize I had left it in my other bag back at the hotel. Border patrol just took my DL and looked up my passport. He let me cross back into the US

6 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

We have cruised 37 times and we have always had to show our passports to Customs when leaving the ship.....always!!!

But you are not required to have one to board...and many don't...so what do you think they do with those people?

Edited by bingomamma19

4 minutes ago, bingomamma19 said:

But you are not required to have one to board...and many don't...so what do you think they do with those people?

You are required to produce either a passport or certificate birth certificate and photo ID to board.  This is also required to be produced when you leave the ship.

I am not sure which people you referring to as no one boards without proper ID.

Edited by GTO-Girl
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, BoDidly said:

You never had to show this to Customs ??   Boy you guys have been lucky :classic_huh: 

nope...and we are always just about the last to get off the ship..so they have lots of time to look at us.   Before we had our passport cards, we just showed our DL's and my daughter who is now 13 never had to show anything, since she obviously didn't have a DL :):)     I would just let them know she was my dd.   Our BC's were packed, and nobody ever asked us to get them out

4 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

You are required to produce either a passport or certificate birth certificate and photo ID to board.  This is also required to be produced when you leave the ship.

I am not sure which people you re referring to as no one boards without proper ID.

Right...I am saying you don't need a passport to board.....so to those saying you need to show one to get off...you didn't need a passport to embark, so you don't need one to debark obviously.  

All you need to board is a valid ID and a BC..or...a valid passport, so you cant show a passport to leave the ship if you never had one to get on the ship.

Edited by bingomamma19

Your passport is government issued picture ID,  a DL is government issued picture ID, people that have passports use them and those that do not (not required on closed looped cruises) show their DL (with BC) for their picture ID at end of cruise. 

You are showing your passport cuz that is what you choose to give customs at the end (not because its required), many people do not have passports (we have always had passports so we use them).  When my husband flies domestically he uses his passport sometimes, but he doesn't need to.  

Edited by Drazil65

You have to show valid ID and proof of citizenship (either passport or birth certificate) when you are boarding and when you are leaving ship.  If you are using a passport, you can use that as your valid ID and proof of citizenship since it has a photo.  If you are using a Birth certificate as your proof of citizenship, then you must also produce a DL or other government issued ID. This is required at both embarking and disembarking.  

I always take a passport and have had to show it every time I am leaving the ship and the customs man always looks at it intently and compares it to my likeness in person before letting me pass.

With that said... on my last cruise which we just got off on Jan 12, they were short of customs agents due to the government shutdown and so they were pretty much just taking a cursory glance at whatever paper you held out and did not seem to even care or even be looking at anything too intently.  So if the government is still shut down when your daughter and friends disembark, it might work in their favor that maybe they will just let it slide, or not ask to see a Birth Certificate if she just has her DL out as she passes through. 

I would also think that since she had to show proof to get on the ship, and I am sure people have lost their passports/birth certificates before, there is a process that will be followed to allow her back in the country.  I think they make a copy when you board... I know I see the lady pass my passport under some kind of machine thing when we board... so perhaps they can go back and look at that. 

I would definitely have the friend go down to Guest services... at least maybe get the process started before she tries to disembark.

1 hour ago, MontezumasRevenge said:

Our cruise in December we had to show our passports getting off the ship in Port Canaveral.

no you didn't, many cruise passengers do not possess passports. All you need is photo ID, like a drivers license. If your only photo ID was a passport that's what they want to see picture ID, customs could not give a crap about your birth certificate.