Taxi advice New York

Christophene

We debarked the Escape in New York City on Jan. 20th very early (7:40am). It was raining pretty hard and there was a long line at the taxi stand across the street on 12th Ave. We were told there was another taxi stand on the floor above the street and this one was under cover. We took the elevator up and there were about 20 people waiting. No taxis in sight. We waited for about 10 minutes and never saw one come up the ramp so we decided to go back down and try our luck on the street. As we approached the stand we were mobbed by Uber drivers, or at least they claimed they were. I asked one for a rate to 28th st and 6th Ave in Manhattan. He quoted $50! I said, you gotta be kidding me! And he just walked away hoping for some sucker to pay too much. By then it had stopped raining so we decided to walk until we got away from the crowds. We didn’t have to go far. We walked toward the east until we came to 11th Ave, turned right and after a few minutes a yellow cab actually hailed us! There was no traffic at all and so our very short ride cost us a total $11 including a generous tip. 

6 minutes ago, Christophene said:

As we approached the stand we were mobbed by Uber drivers, or at least they claimed they were. I asked one for a rate to 28th st and 6th Ave in Manhattan. He quoted $50! I said, you gotta be kidding me! And he just walked away hoping for some sucker to pay too much. 

Just curious, but why would you ask an Uber driver the cost?  The Uber app gives you upfront pricing before you confirm a pickup.  You need the app to request a ride and pay for the ride.

Sounds like the gypsy taxi drivers have now become gypsy Uper drivers.  No one should every take a person claiming to be a taxi driver or Urber driver who approaches them.  They are unlicensed, usually don't have enough insurance if at all, will demand more money once you get to your destination, etc.  

32 minutes ago, senseib said:

Just curious, but why would you ask an Uber driver the cost?  The Uber app gives you upfront pricing before you confirm a pickup.  You need the app to request a ride and pay for the ride.

Like I said, we were approached by a mob of them and I was just curious what they were quoting. I agree with NLH Arizona, they had Uber cards in their hands, but who knows if they were legit. 

1 minute ago, Christophene said:

Like I said, we were approached by a mob of them and I was just curious what they were quoting. I agree with NLH Arizona, they had Uber cards in their hands, but who knows if they were legit. 

I doubt they were legit.

Curious....but what time did you disembark?  I think the taxis on the upper ramp are the same taxis that are dropping people off for the next sailing.  Maybe you were too early.

I've never used the upper ramp, but I know someone who does all the time and he never complained.  He's also the last one off the ship.

Ok...I just reread your post...7:40.  If it was 9:40  you wouldn't have had a problem.

Edited by April42749

We had some problems with the actual taxis in NY when we stayed a few extra days after a cruise 

Twice they were taking us long about ways to get to the destination and once even was going the whole wrong way till I said Hey it’s The other way 🙈

Each time it put $3-$4 Extra on the fare 

Real Uber is the way to go 

19 minutes ago, Christophene said:

Yes, but you cannot request an Uber by talking to the driver and you cannot select a specific Uber driver, nor would the Uber driver be likely to know the exact fare to a specific address unless it was a popular destination like LGA.