Amazon river in November, too hot to use balcony?

NoWhiners

Hi all

We just booked this cruise with Oceania and selected a balcony cabin. DH likes to be able to step outside and see what is happening and what the weather is like, plus we enjoy sitting outside after dinner and sipping wine.

I am wondering if it will be too hot/humid to sit outside at night? And, normally we don't notice many bugs in warmer places when on the water--is the Amazon like this?

Thanks for any help

ML

The Amazon is a constant temperature, as you will cross the equator while going in, and again coming out.  Not sure, but I think Nov. is in the rainy season - which is a good thing, as water levels are higher and larger ships can get to Manaus.  I live in Coastal GA and have been to Manaus three times.  I never find the temps as brutal as our GA weather in spring/summer/fall...EM

Based on our Amazon cruise in early January 2010, I agree with Essiesmom's comments about the temperatures.  In late 2009 the rains didn't start until mid-December and our cruise was the first one of the season that wasn't impacted (cancelled excursions mostly) by the water levels.  It was amazing to see the tops of trees sticking out of the middle of the smaller rivers we sailed on during excursions.

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

The Amazon is a constant temperature, as you will cross the equator while going in, and again coming out.  Not sure, but I think Nov. is in the rainy season - which is a good thing, as water levels are higher and larger ships can get to Manaus.  I live in Coastal GA and have been to Manaus three times.  I never find the temps as brutal as our GA weather in spring/summer/fall...EM

I've got to disagree with Essiesmom, I've lived in the Houston area all my life and have never felt the heat and humidity like I did on the Amazon in Nov./Dec., 2009. Also, never have seen as many bugs in Houston as I did on the Amazon. Was there when the river was lower than it had been in 90 years and many excursions were canceled. As far as I am concerned, it was one and done for me. Check off the bucket list and never return to that place.

1 minute ago, Texas Tillie said:

I've got to disagree with Essiesmom, I've lived in the Houston area all my life and have never felt the heat and humidity like I did on the Amazon in Nov./Dec., 2009. Also, never have seen as many bugs in Houston as I did on the Amazon. Was there when the river was lower than it had been in 90 years and many excursions were canceled. As far as I am concerned, it was one and done for me. Check off the bucket list and never return to that place.

I would have been disappointed too but a month later the rivers were full and I don't remember a single mosquito or other bug.  I also don't remember a problem with humidity.  In our experience it was one of the most interesting cruises we've ever done.

2 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I would have been disappointed too but a month later the rivers were full and I don't remember a single mosquito or other bug.  I also don't remember a problem with humidity.  In our experience it was one of the most interesting cruises we've ever done.

As they say, whatever floats your boat!  😳  My most interesting cruise is Antarctica - no heat and no bugs, but the penguin colonies do have an "interesting" odor!! 😱

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

Based on our Amazon cruise in early January 2010, I agree with Essiesmom's comments about the temperatures.  In late 2009 the rains didn't start until mid-December and our cruise was the first one of the season that wasn't impacted (cancelled excursions mostly) by the water levels.  It was amazing to see the tops of trees sticking out of the middle of the smaller rivers we sailed on during excursions.

Thanks for this, it is very helpful. We are leaving Miami on Nov 23, cruising the Amazon Dec 1-7, then return to Miami. That seems to me to be close to the wet season; it's hard believe when it starts is very precise. We live in the desert and love rain but maybe rainforest rain will cure us :classic_smile:

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

This is my fear! When we went thru the Panama canal, I thought I would die with the humidity/heat. That was in April and I had to go to the pool at 9 am to cool off. I am going to keep my fingers crossed we can sit outside and not get carried back to the nest by bugs. If not, we will be spending more time in the public areas by a  window! I know we will never go back and this is the only part of SA I want to see. (Well, not counting Antarctica. I'd love to see that but not willing to pay for anything but the 'drive by' cruises, which is a lot of SA). And I love the idea of not flying internationally.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

That sounds great, hope we have the same conditions! Thanks.