Specialty Coffee Package

cfly

I have a large OBC for a British Isles Cruise on Crown Princess and am thinking of purchasing the coffee package. Will I be able to order specialty coffee in the MDR or specialty dining venues and use this card? If I want to buy a coffee elsewhere on sea days will specialty coffees  be available in various locations, without long lines?  How is the regular coffee in the MDR?

21 minutes ago, cfly said:

I have a large OBC for a British Isles Cruise on Crown Princess and am thinking of purchasing the coffee package. Will I be able to order specialty coffee in the MDR or specialty dining venues and use this card? If I want to buy a coffee elsewhere on sea days will specialty coffees  be available in various locations, without long lines?  How is the regular coffee in the MDR?

Yes, you can use the "card" (it will be electronically added to your Cruise Card) in the dining rooms and specialty dining venues. I think you are going to have to keep track of how many you have used, and know when the15 have been used completely.  There are a number of locations that  have specialty coffees available throughout the day - International Café (expect long lines in the morning), one of the bars midship on Deck 7 is likely to have them, and one of the bars on Lido by the pool will have them available. Usually the one on the pool deck is not too busy in the morning, and depending upon the ship, actually opens earlier than the International Café for the espresso beverages. Regular coffee main dining room? Too subjective to comment, because some people love Starbucks coffee, some don't , some love Dunkin, some don't and some swear by Timmy Horton's. 

• Like 1

International Cafe has longer lines in the morning, but the wait is minimal. In addition to the specialty coffee drinks this is where you can get your unlimited brewed coffee, specialty teas by the cup or pot and hot chocolate. The IC coffee bar is next to the food area where you can pick up a doughnut or some other item, no charge for food.

The Crown has "Coffee & Cones" by the Lido Pool. You can also get specialty coffee there, but I believe they do not have the brewed coffee and teas.

The regular free DR coffee as well as that available in the buffet, room service and other dining areas is prepared from a liquid coffee concentrate. It is not fresh brewed. 

There is something to be said for patronizing the venues with less espresso based business: the drinks are better, simply because the machine is cleaner, and the oils have not had a chance to burn, become bitter or rancid. We very much noticed this on the Royal and Regal this past fall, where the lattes from the pool bar and the Princess Live Café were so much more pleasing than from the IC, just because we were getting them from a much cleaner machine. Not that they don't clean the machines, but we clean ours at home between each use, whereas the IC is pumping out unknown numbers of espresso shots each day (they clean it over night), while the other venues are less active, and as the first or second customers of the morning, we are getting a much fresher machine. OK, we are quite fussy. We are very fussy at home. lol. 

Definitely keep tabs on how many coffees you order. We had the complementary hot chocalate deducted from our fifteen coffee total! Don’t know whether the waiter just made a mistake or was not aware of the system, but it happened. We now ask each time we order, how many are left.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2019 at 10:33 PM, Spicy Red said:

Definitely keep tabs on how many coffees you order. We had the complementary hot chocalate deducted from our fifteen coffee total! Don’t know whether the waiter just made a mistake or was not aware of the system, but it happened. We now ask each time we order, how many are left.

Yes keep tabs on specialty coffees.  Recently off the Regal and I had one less than I had calculated as I made a note when using.

i found the line in IC very short around 8 each morning,  Got 2 large brewed coffees no problem

• 2 months later...
On 2/3/2019 at 10:33 PM, Spicy Red said:

Hot Chocolate is only complimentary with the Soda and More package, not the Coffee Package. 

So here is a question, I havent sailed since this new business with the coffee cards, I usually get up early, go down to coffee shop to get two brewed coffees and bring them back before the wife gets up.  With the old cards I would show both, if it is on your cruise card now does that mean I have to bring them both down to get two brewed coffees ?

19 minutes ago, mrell345 said:

So here is a question, I havent sailed since this new business with the coffee cards, I usually get up early, go down to coffee shop to get two brewed coffees and bring them back before the wife gets up.  With the old cards I would show both, if it is on your cruise card now does that mean I have to bring them both down to get two brewed coffees ?

Yes.

13 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Hot Chocolate is only complimentary with the Soda and More package, not the Coffee Package. 

According to the 2019 terms and conditions hot chocolate is included. Terms and conditions in part:

New Grounds Coffee Package

Terms & Conditions 2019

Coffee packages cannot be sold or otherwise transferred to any individual. Pre-purchased specialty coffees may be shared, but complimentary brewed coffee, teas and hot chocolate continue to be limited to the purchaser.