Yellow Fever Vaccination for Cuba and Panama

We are going on the Discovery 2 in March 2019 for a back to back cruise to Cuba and the Panama Canal. I have seen no mention of the need for a Yellow Fever Vaccination for this cruise from Marella and that some cruise companies make it a requirement of boarding. I know that both Columbia and Panama have the virus and that some countries require a certificate upon entry. I am 70 and my wife is 69 and have never been vaccinated against these beasties and have been told there are risks at our age.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick

We've have done Cuba 4 times and Panama twice with Marella and never had a yellow fever jab Only ever had one once for Kenya years ago 

if you are in transit which is what you are classed as when cruising to Panama then you don't need one I don't believe there is Yellow fever in Cuba 

check the government travel website and look for both countries.

usually it is if you have been to a country that has Yellow fever before arriving in the country or passed through that country's airport 

4 hours ago, mactire said:

We are going on the Discovery 2 in March 2019 for a back to back cruise to Cuba and the Panama Canal. I have seen no mention of the need for a Yellow Fever Vaccination for this cruise from Marella and that some cruise companies make it a requirement of boarding. I know that both Columbia and Panama have the virus and that some countries require a certificate upon entry. I am 70 and my wife is 69 and have never been vaccinated against these beasties and have been told there are risks at our age.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick

Hi

Please don't take this the wrong way, but, I think your question should be directed at your GP, and not a cruise forum. Your GP knows your history - we don't

Edited by lexdisic

When we considered Yellow Fever vaccination, we were advised against it at our surgery - on the basis of our age.  I believe side effects are far more common in the older age groups.  We didn't have it.  We have been to Cuba twice and it wasn't necessary there.  I agree that it would be best to seek advice from your GP.

Thanks for all your replies. I was just asking about peoples experience on this subject. I saw our GP who could only tell me what I already knew about where Yellow Fever was in the area we are cruising to. I was interested in where we would be asked for a certificate as we had been to somewhere Yellow Fever is known to be, Columbia and Panama, and Jamaica is supposed to ask for a certificate but I haven't found anyone who experienced this. I went to our local travel clinic and was advised not to have the injection because of my age and they will provide an exemption certificate before we travel.

Thanks again.

Those countries only ask for the certificate if you have stayed in any of those countries or been in airport in those countries for more than 12 hours that have Yellow fever

you are classed as in transit and it does not apply Even if you stay and cruise in Jamaica you don't need a certificate as you have come from a country that doesn't have Yellow Fever

We went on the Pride of Panama cruise last November via Montego Bay, Jamaica and we were not asked for any certificates or proof of vaccines.

However, my GP's Travel Clinic nurse looked up all the ports we were visiting and the current WHO advice for each and recommended updating Tetanus/Diptheria and Flu vaccines plus Hep A.

I was advised against the Yellow Fever (live) vaccine as per current advice for over 60's and they issued a Yellow Fever exemption certificate valid for that cruise only at about £15.

Edited by Scriv

I recommend you browse the NHS website fitfortravel. A simple search should find it and very easy to read.

They do guides by country so very easy to look up your destinations for vaccination advice and there are additional links to yellow fever and malarial areas within these countries.

Take plenty anti-bug stuff with you and cover up as these areas get day biting mozzies which cause dengue fever, zika and chikungunya. We got back from the Caribbean in December and incidences of dengue in particular are causing concern.

You can also get info on safety, crime etc on the FCO website, again the guides are listed by country.

Edited by edinburgher