Hand Sanitizer & Noro

CruiseNut24

23 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

Not sure why you said "condescending tone"? If you're mistaking my blunt honesty as "condescending", so be it. No, I've never experienced norovirus, or any illness on a cruise.

Of course not. Come back to us when your opinion has any weight. Until then, your posts on the subject of the norovirus are just acts of vanity.

Burt

Just thought I would add my two cents.  I have been on three ships that had severe noro outbreaks.  I was fortunate not to have gotten it.  One time we were delayed in boarding, for three hours, while a deep cleaning of the ship was done and about a week later there was another outbreak.

In addition to washing, using the ship's hand sanitizer and trying not to touch communal things, I use VioNex to sanitize my hands.  It's main ingredient is Chloroxylenol.  I order it from Amazon.  It comes in towelettes, with 50 to a box.  It really dries out my hands, so hand moisture is also needed.

I also bring Clorox wipes and wipe down things like the light switches, door knobs, things we touch inside our cabin.  I do this once a day after the room has been cleaned by the steward.  My husband thinks I am going overboard (no pun intended), but I figure better safe than quarantined and taking a three-day ride on the porcelain train.

20 hours ago, Beachdude said:

Of course not. Come back to us when your opinion has any weight. Until then, your posts on the subject of the norovirus are just acts of vanity.

Burt

Why can only someone who suffered from norovirus offer valuable advice?  Why does only the opinion of those who got sick - and not those who have managed to stay healthy in the midst of it - have any weight?

I am similar to @Katz that I cruised on a ship with noro and stayed healthy.  My husband and I washed our hands frequently, tolerated the use of ship hand sanitizers, ate reasonably healthy, and kept hydrated.  We did not concern ourself with the hygiene of others because it was not our place, nor practical to check if everyone washed their hands before touching something we might touch.  We can only control ourself, not the other passengers.

Interesting note: in one of the Carnival Pride public restrooms there is a sink inside at least one of the stalls.  If someone used that one and washed their hands there, should they be forced to wash them again at another customer's request?