Live from Silver Shadow: Voyage #3904; Hong Kong to Singapore, Feb 8 - 22, 2019

Stumblefoot

On 2/28/2019 at 11:36 AM, Stumblefoot said:

That’s a big problem Ann!  One that needs to be rectified I might add.

How ‘bout joining us in Spain 🇪🇸 for a gourmand food land tour in October 2020 then boarding the new Moon for a TA to the States where you then could spend Thanksgiving with your kids?  

There’s a chance (and we’re hoping) Mr/Mrs ETUAL will be on board, and JollyJones is a lock.  Who knows, maybe others here who love TA’s (ZQTchas, Mr. Silver, Wellseasoned, Col Wes, etc.) will join in the fun and help Amy and I celebrate our first TA and enjoy it even more.  Maybe we could even convince ol’ LesB to retire and join in the fun!  

So, what do you say Ann?  Can you talk the good doctor into booking it?  It’s priced super cheap right now as the occupancy rate is really, really low so far.

OK,  We’re booked on the Moon TA Oct,2020

3 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

This is getting exciting!

We are also going to book the Moon maiden crossing !  And I suggested it in an e-mail to Wes this morning.  It will also be a nostalgic reminder of when a number of us were on the Spirit maiden crossing in 2010!

Okey Dokey, since Brian and Dieter r twisting/twisted my arms, will plan to book the Moon maiden crossing while on board the Shadow in about 2 weeks.   Tho we are doing a Greenland and Iceland in July next year; meaning I will have to talk Ida into another cruise so close to another-- meaning a bribe (bauble).

Dieter, maybe those of us embarking in Barca and staying in the same Barcelona hotel can have a pre cruise meet @ bar meet & mingle before dinner.  Remember, our wonderful pre cruise bar mtg before our Spirit maiden?

And thanks to generosity of Doug and Lynn Burns opening their grand suite to us Silver Spirit maiden cruisers we had a party of 60 + in their suite.  And, thanks to Emmy organizing our renewal of vows we're the first couples to renew vows on the spirit moderated by Captain Angelo Corsaro and CD Fernando.  SS then through a hosted party for 75 of us on the Panormama Lounge veranda--such wonderful Silversea memories.

Edited by WesW

1 hour ago, Wellseasoned said:

We are also going to book the Moon maiden crossing !  And I suggested it in an e-mail to Wes this morning.  It will also be a nostalgic reminder of when a number of us were on the Spirit maiden crossing in 2010!

This is fantastic news!  We have always thought it would be fun to be on board when the infamous Dieter and Debbie are as well.

Although Cruise Critic doesn't have the Moon setup for a Meet & Mingle, we're going to have to twist Silversea's arms in setting up a special event for us all.  Since we'll be on board more than a week prior to everyone's arrival, I'll plan to work with the Hotel Director and schedule a Meet & Mingle.  When would you suggest; 6:00p on the night of embarkation or mid-afternoon on Day #2 during our sea day?

46 minutes ago, WesW said:

Okey Dokey, since Brian and Dieter r twisting/twisted my arms, will plan to book the Moon maiden crossing while on board the Shadow in about 2 weeks.   Tho we are doing a Greenland and Iceland in July next year; meaning I will have to talk Ida into another cruise so close to another-- meaning a bribe (bauble).

If you can talk Ida into sailing again with Silversea, then this is going to be one heck of a voyage.  Since Cruise Critic doesn't have the Moon loaded into the Roll Calls yet, can I tap your experience and have you set up a roll call here in the regular forum topics like you've done in the past?  Right now, I show 11 folks will be on the Moon's maiden TA crossing:

• JollyJones (Barbara)
  • Stumblefoot and DW (Brian/Amy)
  • DrRon and Rojann (Ron/Ann)
  • ZQTchas and DW (Charles/Elaine)
  • Wellseasoned and DW (Dieter/Debbie)
  • WesW and DW (Wes/Ida)

Wes, I heard all about Doug and Lynn's party and remember the pics you posted all those years ago.  Charles and Elaine raved about it during our recent voyage with them.  It sounded like a party for the ages.

Thanks Brian.

Looks like the beginning of robust roll call and hopefully a well attended meet & mingle.  Our vote for an M&M since embark day includes the Life Boat drill would be day 2 as u suggest. Be sure and get other roll call-to-be members votes too.

Could be like he was for the Spirit's maiden season, Paolo Pecivale will by the

Moon's HD for the maiden season.

A special event during  this voyage is the plaques the Captain will

get when he arrives with the Moon for the first time (San Juan).  And believe the Moon will get drenched with fire hose sprays by tug boats entering FLL like we did on the Spirit at the Moon's  first US port of call.

• Like 1

You guys are killing me. This sounds like such fun but we have never done a TA. I don't think we could sit still for that long. Just looked at the itinerary and the only new port for us would be Madeira. So it would be a hard sell to give up that much vacation time.

Maybe we will come to Barcelona for a few days instead, just to meet everyone. Or San Juan. Decisions, decisions!

Or if they sold the SJU to FLL segment separately, that might be a way for us to do part of it.

Wes, I had thought you were on Silver Cloud to Iceland with us, then staying on for Greenland, this August? Did you change that to 2020 on another line?

Edited by jpalbny

We've never done a TA either JP and have always had the same concern as you and Chris... we'll be bored out of our minds!  But, after reading so many posts over the years from folks and hearing from several others while on board our various voyages who rave about crossings, we decided to pull the trigger on our first one.  I'm just so excited to see so many Cruise Critic friends who will be joining in the fun!  I'm sure they will teach us newbies how to enjoy ourselves very well.

The only new port for us will be Tangier and Madeira.  But, this voyage is really about fun times with old and new friends.  So, vacation time be damned!  There is always plenty of time to work and replenish those days.  😉

• Like 1

JP,

Considering SS is breaking the crossing into two separate voyages; (1) San Juan and (2) Ft. Lauderdale, I bet you could get SS to sell you a SJU to FLL leg.  Why?  When we priced the back-to-back ending in SJU, it was actually cheaper to sail to FLL.  In essence, SS is giving away the SJU to FLL portion for free.  So, I bet they be thrilled to get any incremental revenue on that leg if possible.  I'm thinking $1,295/pp for the 4-day journey (including the overnight in SJU) in a Vista would be accepted.  Heck, you might even be able to get it for $995/pp.

• Like 1

Hi JP, alas due to the conflict with our Anarctica booking (one that Brian, Chris and you got the same super deal I had) we canceled that booking and took a two year pause from SS.  Yes, we have a Regent iceland and greenland voyage booked for next year and want to see greenland for the first time.  However, as Brian intimates above good people (i.e., Silversea cruise critics far outweigh visiting  new ports. 

And believe me we have some terrific SS sailors planning to or already booked on this MMC (Moon) Maiden Crossing).  

JP, if you need to your TA (know ours (same as Brian's) could) can book just SJ to FLL--in fact when our TA's owner comes for a weekend visit in May (to celebrate Cinco de Mayo/Ida's heritage and her cooking) will suggest that he and our TA book this short segment (they did this on a prior Spirit crossing) and one night at dinner surprised us multiple bottles of Sassicaia for dinner one nite.

Edited by WesW
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Doesn't cabotage merely apply to merchant ships?

I don't really know, but a few years ago when we wanted to book from Honolulu to LA, we were told that the law wouldn't allow it and that we would have to stay on until Mexico.

1 hour ago, Emtbsam said:

I don't really know, but a few years ago when we wanted to book from Honolulu to LA, we were told that the law wouldn't allow it and that we would have to stay on until Mexico.

Well, what do you know, I wasn’t aware of that.  Thx for sharing.  Maybe PR is doable since it’s not a state?  We shall see I guess.

Victoria; tried finding one day cruise from San Juan to Ft. Lauderdale on a consolidator site--none to be found. However, there were five day cruises with a stop in a carribbean country (e.g,Antigua).  

Will check with Silversea and our TA on Monday.  

Thanks for pointing this out.

And Fair Winds and Following seas on Bob and your upcoming Whisper WC segments.

Edited by WesW

2 hours ago, WesW said:

Victoria; tried finding one day cruise from San Juan to Ft. Lauderdale on a consolidator site--none to be found. However, there were five day cruises with a stop in a carribbean country (e.g,Antigua).  

Will check with Silversea and our TA on Monday.  

Thanks for pointing this out.

And Fair Winds and Following seas on Bob and your upcoming Whisper WC segments.

Thanks Wes.  Give our best to Ida.

7 hours ago, rojaan19 said:

Trans-Atlantic Mooners  !!

Now that's an image that will stick with me for a while... 😱

Have to come up with a different name. Can't use Moonies because that has negative connotations dating back to the 70s (Rev. Moon and his followers). The Moonstruck? Moon Crossers? My creative juices are not flowing well this morning...